THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a perfect big game hunting binocular?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is a general question as there are a vast variety of hunting scenarios.
If you could design your own binoc. what would it be.

For me: Durable, simple, light, bright, low maintenance/ TOUGH
1) Under 30 oz
2) 9X45 or 10X45 (4.5-5 exit pupil)
3) Individual eye diopters (each barrel) remove the center adjuster. Mark white letters on a black back ground so you can see your focus placement in the dark. Audible click adjustment.
4) Poro design for greater depth of field and a more robust alignment.
5)+18 mm eye relief
6) Flat field eye piece
7) Triplet objective lenses with one fluorite crystal lens like Kowa produces
8) Hydrophobic lens coatings
9) Scratch resistant lens coatings
10) Rubber eye cups; Ditch the twist outs: They get dirt and ice in them and cease to work efficiently.
11) Rubber armoring
12) Argon gas purging (anti fogging)
13) BAK 4 prisms with HD Schott glass
14) Blackened lense edges like Leopold produces to reduce glare
15) Darkened internal barrels like Leica produces to further reduce glare.
16) Index matched lens and the best lens coatings available.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 8x32, these are my personal favorites.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your perfect hunting binoculars exhibit a number of features which are highly desirable, but the most desirable of all is the individual eye focus with detents to keep them where you put them.

Center focusing is (1) complicated to use and most people do it backward, (2) is easily moved out of focus accidentally, (3) is more expensive to produce, and (4) is inherently weaker and more subject to damage, (5) creates another mechanism which has to be sealed and is subject to moisture intrusion.

I'm not sure where you find binos with all of your preferences. I have a Minox model no longer made which is 9.5x45 that comes close; but my favorites are the old Japanese Leupold 10x40 porros which do many of the things you like. I also have the old Leupold 10x40 roof prism model that is theoretically a little less efficient in light transmission and provides a tad less depth perception due to the closer spacing of the objectives, but it is more compact.

Unfortunately, almost no one makes an IF binocular these days: Binocular sales are driven by birders and birders really do need instant refocusing as they watch tiny objects flit from tree to tree from 10 to 40 yards -- an impossible task for binoculars without instant refocusing.

But if your deer or elk goes from 40 yards to 10 yards in seconds, then you don't need binoculars -- you don't even need a scope as you'll be shooting from the hip.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The list suggests eezrdr knows more about the subject than most of us, but I might dare to express an ignoramus's opinion.

Once you get over 6x, constant focus adjustment by means of each barrel sounds like a PITA to me, even if it does give more water resistance.

Reasonable resolution and light weight have become my main requirements, and I find my humble Nikon Prostaff 10x42 roof prisms the best I've come across in that price range.

With thick straps dragging and the rubber lens covers in place, mine weigh 600 grams (21oz) on our kitchen scales. If your top-end 10x42s weigh less then that, God bless you.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
10x42 for open mountains.

10x56 or 10x50 for western hunting non-backpack trips. I think these would perfect for exotic hunts.

8x56 or 10x56 for sitting in a box blind, hochsitz, or treestand, unless you live in South TExas and need more magnification.

8x42 if you are bowhunting close cover.

8x56 if you are stalking in close cover.

15x56 or 20x60 or something like that for putting on a tripod and finding game.

There you have it the perfect pair of binos.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Most of the time, I use my 10X42's and they are all range finding binos-either Swarovskis or Leicas. I have a couple of pairs of Swarovski 15X56's for the tripod, in addition to 3 Swarovski spotting scopes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a great question and one that is impossible for me to answer.

However, there are a few things that I do like.

For my hunting in the West, I choose 10x42's with the 8x42 a close second.

Range finding binoculars. After buying a pair over the summer and using them
this fall, I will always choose this option. I do not like carrying a separate
range finder.

Quality and customer service. Choose a brand that will be backed by the manufacturer. I
have had great luck with Swarovski customer service.

As far as the "mechanics" of the binoculars, eezridr sound like he has a lot better information
than I do.

I would also say, buy as good of quality as you are able. The Euro glass is worth it in my opinion

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, swaro 10x32 el.
Plenty of magnification and light weight.
I use for bowhunting whitetails to rifle dall sheep and all in between

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Once you get over 6x, constant focus adjustment by means of each barrel sounds like a PITA to me, even if it does give more water resistance.

I assume you say that because the higher powers will focus to infinity further away, leaving them unfocused at shorter ranges. While this is true, even at 10X the infinite focus range is close enough no adjustment is required in most uses. After all, when you are hunting "big" game (deer and up) you have little need of binoculars if the range is as short as the infinity focus distance of a 10X glass.

There are instances when I've needed shorter focus -- usually when hunting in thick brush/timber where it is useful to have a low-powered binocular focused close to help pick out an animal among the branches and leaves.

But most often the hunting use of binoculars is to scan at great distances or help identify and evaluate game at moderate distances, all well beyond the infinity focus distance of a 10X glass. Check out what the out-of-production Japanese Leupold IF's bring on eBay and you'll see that a lot of hunters appreciate the IF feature.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all round big game hunting, I`m very pleased with my Swaro SLC 10x42, weight 900 grams.
The main reason is the terrain and animals we hunt (moose, red-and roe deer in semi open terrain, clear cuts and agricultural landscape).
Often in dusk and dawn, low light, moon lit fields with frost or snow (legal where I live).

Friends who only hunt woods and timber in daylight make do with lesser binoculars, so it very much boils down to what we hunt, and under which circumstances.

For day light use, I also have a light and handy Zeiss Conquest 10x30, weight 640 grams.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: I had a pair of those and they were stolen. Much of my experience is based on them. Funny you caught that.

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Your perfect hunting binoculars exhibit a number of features which are highly desirable, but the most desirable of all is the individual eye focus with detents to keep them where you put them.

Center focusing is (1) complicated to use and most people do it backward, (2) is easily moved out of focus accidentally, (3) is more expensive to produce, and (4) is inherently weaker and more subject to damage, (5) creates another mechanism which has to be sealed and is subject to moisture intrusion.

I'm not sure where you find binos with all of your preferences. I have a Minox model no longer made which is 9.5x45 that comes close; but my favorites are the old Japanese Leupold 10x40 porros which do many of the things you like. I also have the old Leupold 10x40 roof prism model that is theoretically a little less efficient in light transmission and provides a tad less depth perception due to the closer spacing of the objectives, but it is more compact.

Unfortunately, almost no one makes an IF binocular these days: Binocular sales are driven by birders and birders really do need instant refocusing as they watch tiny objects flit from tree to tree from 10 to 40 yards -- an impossible task for binoculars without instant refocusing.

But if your deer or elk goes from 40 yards to 10 yards in seconds, then you don't need binoculars -- you don't even need a scope as you'll be shooting from the hip.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8x32 Liecas are my all time favorite, because you can hold them off hand when scopeing a sidehill, beyond 7 or 8 you need a rest to judge a trophy head and its easier to see an animal under a bush bedded with the smaller binocs IMO..If more is needed a spotting scope the best option..Ive often wondered if I wouldn't be better off with a good pair of binocs and an iron sighted rifle, given such a choice over a scoped rifle and no binocs..????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41760 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*

Leight, very easy in the hand and superb optics. Mine are 20 years old and still superb. They stopped making them a few years ago - don't know why, but if you find a pair, jump on them fast.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek: I had a pair of those and they were stolen. Much of my experience is based on them. Funny you caught that.

Eezridr: When I come across one of the old Leupold IF models in good condition at a fair price I grab it. I happen to have one more of the 10x40 roof prism models than I currently need (I bid on two auctions at the same time and unexpectedly won both of them). Drop me a line if you need one and I'll try to make you a price you're comfortable with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Zeiss 10 X 40 BGAT binoculars for many years. I think they would meet your requirements.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My fav is Leica 8x32.

I have owned and tried many RF binos; they are good, but for LR shooting, nothing comes close to the SIG 2400 RF; I have been using it extensively and it is spot on. Only RF that takes into account spin drift and aerodynamic jump; unlike most RF binos, uses an embedded software app, not lookup tables with angle and enviro correction factors.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am loving my 10x42 EL Swarovski binoculars. So much that I will probably sell my 8x42 Razor HD Vortex binoculars...something I thought I would never do.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no regrets with my 10x50 Leupold's. Wifey liked them so well had to get her a pair.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

I assume you say that because the higher powers will focus to infinity further away, leaving them unfocused at shorter ranges. While this is true, even at 10X the infinite focus range is close enough no adjustment is required in most uses. After all, when you are hunting "big" game (deer and up) you have little need of binoculars if the range is as short as the infinity focus distance of a 10X glass.

There are instances when I've needed shorter focus -- usually when hunting in thick brush/timber where it is useful to have a low-powered binocular focused close to help pick out an animal among the branches and leaves.

But most often the hunting use of binoculars is to scan at great distances or help identify and evaluate game at moderate distances, all well beyond the infinity focus distance of a 10X glass. Check out what the out-of-production Japanese Leupold IF's bring on eBay and you'll see that a lot of hunters appreciate the IF feature.

I'd never thought about the 6x focus quite that way, and must admit I've never had any binos that small.

I used to use various small 8x models but found the exit pupils too small to give good field of view when wearing glasses.

However, I use the 10x42s in thick bush and find the focusing helps to see through the close stuff.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote