Find
Notify
Tools

IR device for lumen shooter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
purchased a lumenshooter preadator light, which comes with red, green, IR and white. In order to use the IR light, you must use an IR device that is compatible with it.

Anyone know of one that is a good price that won't break the bank?

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ram, I am not familiar with the lumenshooter, but to have two separate devices, one to illuminate and one to see is awkward at best, as you only have two hands, and, things have to be held steady. I have a night vision monocular which operates either using available light (starlight) or IR. To use IR you press the IR illuminator button and then set the monocular to use IR. With my device, it shows up green. I know this is not much help, but you have to decide the purpose of the device. In my case it, it was surveillance. The device was educational, as it showed me how difficult such IR surveillance can be. The field illuminated is not very large, and the magnification doesn't help. In addition, if one is looking for movement, it cannot be found without looking in the same place for a while, which means potentially missing movement or whatever elsewhere.
Sorry if you already know all this, but it was a educational experience for me, standing on the back deck in the middle of the night, looking for deer using my night vision monocular, and not seeing any, even though I knew they were out there!
If this is for predator hunting then you either need two people, one to illuminate, with you having the IR scope mounted on your rifle, or having both the illuminator and the vision (one device) on your rifle, and then you have to scan the area. Of course if you are using some kind of bait, then the job is easier.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Rod:

Anyone know of one that is a good price that won't break the bank?

No. As stated, they are unwieldy with an unattached illuminator. The ones I have played with had controls that were awkward and complicated and magnification that was too high to be practical, even with an attached light. I actually made one that works pretty well out to a couple of hundred yards. If I get a chance I'll post some pictures, it was a fun project and my kids still play around with it.

In the end I went with real nightvision. I found that anything less than generation 2+ wouldn't work for what I wanted to do.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote