THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your preferred binocs at lower price points?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
looks like someone wanted my truck binoculars and helped themselves to them when i left my unit unlocked. i have top tier glass and am not looking for that. i am looking for something that bounces around my truck tucked into the back of my front passenger seat.

the missing pentax 10x50's were perfect for that role. and i even tested them a couple of times and they performed, for all practical purposes, as good as my "good glass" for hunting whitetails from a stand in louisiana.

what would you buy for $500, 250, and below $250?

just descent glass that is relatively clear and tough for each price range.

and hell, even binocs for under $250! there are a million of those - do you own any you can reccomend? any that can bounce around in a 4wd?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of my Nikon Prostaff 10x42s, despite being a critic of one of their riflescopes.

Not only do I find the view very crisp in this affordable model, but it seems lighter than most - and after hours with stuff hanging around your neck that really is important.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a Nikon Monarch 3 binocular for years. I handed it down to my daughter and they are still being used today. Very nice binocular for under $300 new.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
X2 on the Nikon Monarch

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High end glass in a truck only benefits those who steal it. Got a cheap set of 10x42 Bushnells behind the seat in mine. Totally adequate for checking out what I see in my travels.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry that some dirtbag violated your personal space. Some people just suck.

Under $500.00 you'd be best served, IMO, with a Meopta Meopro.

In a lower priced optic there are some great choices from Nikon, Hawke, Athlon and Kowa. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000 and we will discuss what would be best for you

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a set of Vortex Diamondbacks in 10x42. I really like mine. A lot.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Less than $500? Vortex Diamondback or Bushnell Legend HD. I think the Legend HD's can be had for around $250 or so.

I purchased a pair of Diamondbacks for my nephew for vacation/hunting and they are a great deal for the price. If you lose the lens caps or strap or anything...contact Vortex and they will next day ship the accessories to you for free. Vortex customer service is awesome.

The Bushnell HD's I have in my truck every day. I have compared them with my pair of Vortex Razor HD 8x32's ($1,100) and also a pair of Zeiss Victory HT 10x54's ( $2,700 ). I still own the Razor HD's and the Bushnell Legends.

You won't be disappointed with the Diamondback or the Legend HD's. I was very surprised at the quality of Bushnell product. I've had the Bushnell's for 2-3 years.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY and get a pair of Bausch&Lomb made in NY. The 7x50's from WW 2 are tough, but bulky which is not a problem for truck binoculars. The 7x35 Zephyr's are about as tough, less bulky and optically equal. Only problem is you might find them better than your high dollar glasses you carry.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon has some great promo's going on for 3 more days. MONARCH 5 bino's for under $250 to MONARCH HG for $100 off. I know Doug can help you out if you choose to go that route. Just don't wait, PROMO stops on the 21st.

Posts: 33 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 01 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our pleasure to assist and these instant rebates are GREAT

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3641 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A worthwhile series of options to acquiring "stuff" made in Red China is to consider military surplus binoculars of western and central European countries.

When available by way of retail vendors, a binocular will be in anywhere from acceptable condition to NEW in original packaging.

Such a binocular will tend to be porro prism, between 6 and 8 powers of magnification, possibly individually focusing eye pieces, exceptionally sturdy, and reasonably priced.

If you are older than 40, your eyes are unlikely to be able to take advantage of much of the progress and/or enhancements of currently manufactured optical glass. And prior to 2004, I believe, optical glass (Schott, in the case of non-Soviet bloc Europe) contained lead (Pb). It took several years for manufacturers of optical glass to restore the desired qualities that were available when using leaded glass.

Again, if you intend to use a binocular roughly and with significantly reduced maintenance, you are describing a military binocular. And many surplus binoculars have never been in war or war games or issued. Yet they have been specifically designed to meet your needs.

Hope this helps.

FYI one common inaccuracy to be corrected as follows:"one binocular viewing device," "binocular" for short form, rather than "a pair of binoculars" that really means two binocular viewing devices. . . . See, it is possible for me to be correct and annoying simultaneously.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali---Do you wear a pant or a pair of pants?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The optical instrument with two telescopes mounted so that each eye looks through its own individual telescope is properly called "a binocular". The plural is "binoculars".

Technically, "a pair of binoculars" indicates two such instruments. But like "a pair of glasses" or "a pair of scissors", since a binocular has two similar halves, "a pair of binoculars" is commonly (but mistakenly) taken to mean just a single object.

Pants have two legs, which is, I suppose, why we call one such object "a pair of pants". Quite similarly, shirts have two arms, so why don't we ever refer to "a pair of shirts" when we dress our upper body?

But perhaps I'd best cut short this musing on the vagaries of language lest I be labeled "a pair of a--holes".

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Legacy WP. Check their reviews. Star gazers love um. Phenomenal value.

I know that Carpetmans advice on the Zephyrs is good as well.

Ive become real Leary of buying any 2nd hand optics. But with that said, I found a set of pristine, vintage Cannon 8X30's on Fleabay. Love um! Even though I feel the Bushnell WP's have better optics, they have taken a back seat to the Cannons for walking because they are less bulky. That is in no way a shot at the Cannon's optics, they are excellent! The Bushnells are just that bloody good! Just a little bulky for hiking with.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
High end glass in a truck only benefits those who steal it. Got a cheap set of 10x42 Bushnells behind the seat in mine. Totally adequate for checking out what I see in my travels.

Grizz

My truck has a pair of $20.00 vintage "St Moritz" 7X32's of all things. Big Grin

They are actually pretty decent. I've had other low end gear that isnt nearly as good. But loosing them wouldnt be a tragedy.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
My wife years back bought me a pair of 8x40 Bushnell Legends. For the price they are actually pretty good. They mostly ride in my truck and have been through a fair amount of abuse. If I was shopping for something in that price range again I would certainly take a look.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a pair of Leopoldo Yosemite 6x30 that are cheap, light , small and very very clear. Great for thick woods and on my boat and exceptional bingos for the price point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We sell a good deal of the Kowa 6x30's which are a great optic

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Bushnell Legend HD's and can't believe how good they are for the money. Optically they're very good (though not quite as good as much more expensive ones). And the no fog coating works better than my expensive binos.

Nikon at whatever price point is usually consistently good (though slightly more expensive than competing units in the same class, which might not be as consistent unit to unit).

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote