New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pros and cons on range finder binocs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you use, I want a pair mostly because I never have my range finder with me, but I never leave the house without my binocs, seems like a problem solver to me..I looked at some at sportsman whse the other day and liked what I saw except for price, some were upwards crowding 4 grand, ridiculas IMO..Something around $1000 to $1500 makes since, but still pretty high and I saw some for $800 that appeared good at the store?? but that price worried me as to their value..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray I have been using Leica Geovid 10x42 HDR's for years and am still very happy with them.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I use both Swarovskis and Leicas and like them both. I have the Swaro EL rangefinders in 10X42 and two pair of the Leica rangefinders in 10X42 (the older version and the newer ones) You can't beat having a great pair of binos with a built-in range finder. Sure makes taking the shot a lot faster and more accurate. tu2 Unless you buy used, you will not likely find a pair of either of them for the price that you want to pay. There are other brands, however, that have built-in rangefinders at perhaps the price that you're looking for. Not sure about their quality. That's something for you to determine. Good luck Ray. wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have swaro binocs and a Leica RF. I’ve handled various combined binoc/RF and they were too heavy for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both but I prefer the SIG Kilo 2400 AB; it has a ballistic solver that is better than what LR binos use; it is awesome. Also, I prefer a smaller bino around my neck (I use Leica 8x30s). This SIG fits in a shirt pocket.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have used both the Leica 10x40 bino RF and the newer Sig Bino/RF...the Sig is slightly smaller and lighter but not by much. BUT..it ranges faster than the Leica if that makes a difference and is just as accurate by my field tests.
You will win with either unit..
Bill

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OH, and less expensive than the Leica..

Posts: 211 | Location: Jasper,Ga | Registered: 19 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I use this sig bino/rf as a regular binoc then kick on the range finder..I don't mind a used set at all, one hunting trip and all my stuff is used..I have a set of Lieca 8x30 and like them better than the 8x40s I had for all around hunting, but a fast range finder would be nice it seems..Ive spent a life time in guess and by gosh and its worked "most" of th time" it the most that gets me now and then. What kind of money on the Sig bino/rf...Ihave a little range finder Vortex I think but I want a singe unit, I hunt light, don't pack much more than matches binos and a gun..Gettin lighter every year.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been through this exercise several times with various bino/rf units. My thoughts are as follows:

The Vortex Fury 5000, Sig Kilo3000 BDX, and Nikon Laserforce are all made in the same Chinese factory and there's no difference in glass quality. I would call it "good" in the Vortex Viper class of glass, but nothing to write home about. The RF in the Sig is much better than the RF in my Geovid (403 model) that I had, but glass is waaay better in the Leica. The Geovid I had would range well out to 1800yds or so on reflective surfaces, and about 1300 yds on game, that is until the temps got to around freezing, then the unit wouldn't range much past 300 yds on anything. I sent them back, as I fond that unacceptable on a high priced product like the Leica.

I predominantly use a Swarovski EL SV 10x50, and it has much better optics than any Geovid I've seen, and light years better than the other 3 I mentioned. I also carry a Six 2200 BDX RF and it ranges better than the Geovid I had, much quicker, more precise, and will range game out to almost 2000 yds. Moral to my story is that none of the bino/rf units have the glass quality of the Swaro SV's, nor the RF cababilities of the Sigs I've used, so I see no need to compromise. YMMV.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So is the sig Bno/rf a binocular to spot game with then get the range? I need on set of binocs, not binocs and a range finder,i have that..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
So is the sig Bno/rf a binocular to spot game with then get the range? I need on set of binocs, not binocs and a range finder,i have that..

Yes Ray. If you're into ballistic calculations and such the Sig is the way to go. Between it and the Fury 5000, they both have the same glass, the Sig RF is a little faster but the vortex ranges well too, and the Vortex has a lifetime warranty on the bino, electronics, everything. Advantage Fury in that regard.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray: I got a demo set of Leica range Bono’s from camera land. They were worth every and they really were nice to have this past season on my elk hunt!

Highly recommended

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ray: In answer to one of your previous questions, you use them as regular binos. There's a button on them when you want to then range the distance of the animal or whatever you want to range. Just push it and it registers the distance, all automatically calculated for uphill/downhill distance, etc., etc. It gives you a true distance reading, either in yards or meters, whichever you have previously switched on in your rangefinder. Slicker than snot. tu2 Big Grin Three things that I won't hunt without: My rangefinding binos, my Swarovski Z-5 scopes with the custom ballistic turrets, and shooting sticks. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried several and settled on Leica geovids. The Swaro's are great but Leica was easier for me to use.

I rely heavily on ranging these days.

Posts: 10079 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Been using Leica Geovids for 15+ years now, won't leave home without them.

One unit may be heavier than a one lighter binoc, but you only gotta carry one item, not keep track of two and lose time switching between the two. The two may be heavier than the one . . .

Boils down to you want to fiddle with one item or two, don't make life harder than it already is, vote for ONE. Look for a used or demo.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Three things that I won't hunt without: My rangefinding binos, my Swarovski Z-5 scopes with the custom ballistic turrets, and shooting sticks. Big Grin

Good choice UEG! All you need to hunt big game around the world ( excluding dangerous game) is a 300 magnum (300 H&H with 180gr Barnes for me) my Z5 3.5-18x44 with a matching turret, my Leica 10x42 geovids and viper flex shooting sticks!

Posts: 374 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have vortex range finder, that I always forget too take hunting, I really don't need it apparently, but hey I never take a camera either, I just stick my rifle in a saddle scabbard and keep my shots to 300 yards and under and it works like a charm..but Ive had opportunities at 400 and 500 yard shots that Ive muffed, fortunately clean misses because I misjudged the range..I never forget my binocs, they are an absolute tool for my hunting, so if I had binocs and range finder in a single unit, Im thinking that would be a perfect set up..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120