Find
Notify
Tools

Steiner vs Swaro vs Zeiss
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
I have been looking online at a Steiner Predator 4, a Swaro Z3 and a Zeiss V4. I am not able to compare them physically side by side. How would you compare them in regard to quality of glass and construction? They are comparatively priced.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go Swaro z3 - really good optics and superb long term support. Zeiss are good but prefer Swaro. Steiners are the next rung down from Swaro

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Steiner may Have recently upped their game ? but as far as my experience goes they are the Tasco of binoculars.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The glass is secondary, IMHO, to mechanical reliability. I have no respect for Steiner (only because of some buggered binos someone tried to sell me), John Barsness wrote that Zeiss half wore out their scopes in testing before sale (20 years ago) and the Z3 is the least of Swaro's offerings.

If you can afford it, the Z5 and Z6 probably have the most secure design made these days.

They are all image-movement, of course, and with the exception of Pecar's design this concept has always been fragile.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 870 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Steiner is not in the same league as the other two.

Personally, I would pick a Leupold over any of them.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have tried leupold over the years and I believe they make a solid product. I just haven’t been able to get them to focus as well to meet my vision.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have owned Nightforce, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leupold scopes.

I now only own Leupold. Period.

The VX6 beats the pants off my old Nightforce in clarity and weight (same power and objective). The Swarovski z3 is better than the Zeiss. Im not sure how it would compare to a VX3. Probably not as good as a VX5 though.

Not sure why a Leupold wouldn't focus for you.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
May have just been older versions like the Vari-X III. This was before they even had fast focus eyepieces. The older one you had to unlock the ring and turn the whole objective.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I literally have dozens of Leupold scopes (Usually the Vari-X III or the VX-III(3), with the adjustable objective), on the vast majority of my rifles and they are a great scope. BUT, I have at least a dozen Swarovski Z-5's mounted on my current go-to hunting rifles. For me, it' a no brainer: Swarovski Z-5's hands down, with the custom dial up turret, as purchased at the same time with the Swarovski Z-5, or as purchased aftermarket, from Outdoorsman's in Phoenix, Az.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Steiner is not in the same league as the other two.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. The new Steiner Ranger 4 grades out better overall than both the Z3 and Conquest V4. To boot, it has illumination geared towards low-light hunting and goes extremely dim on its lowest settings.

I have the 2.5-10x50 and would like to pick up another, but Steiner has decided to stop vendors from sending them here to the states. They are for sale only in Europe.

To the other side of the coin, I bought one of Steiner's HX series scopes a couple years ago and was not overly impressed. Yes, the resolution/image quality was very nice, but the reticle was busy, all of it lit up, and the illumination was far too intense for any low light applications.

I like the Conquest V4 a lot -- have had several of the 3-12x56 and 4-16x44 models -- and prefer them over a Swaro Z3 any day, even though the Z3 is a very nice optic.

But I have to admit the Ranger 4 is a bit better than the V4.

I've used Z3s, V4s and now the Ranger 4 in a variety of conditions and would -- without hesitation -- choose the Steiner over the other two.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice stocks! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby has more hands-on experience with scopes than just about anyone. I'd listen.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Steiner is not in the same league as the other two. Personally, I would pick a Leupold over any of them.

Sage advice.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In binocurlars Im still using a set of Leica 8x32 that Saeed gave about 5 or 6 years ago, and have never found any binoc to take their place for a hunting glass, thanks again Saeed...As for scope I have been using Leupold since Buda was skinny and that will never change, Leupold wins the first 10 places..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote