New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars With or Without Rangefinder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m looking for my “last” pair of binoculars to purchase, and leaning towards Leica based upon discussions from some of the AR members. Swarovski is a great brand, but pricing is a little more than I’m wanting to spend. The big question is whether or not to go with the rangefinder version vs. without. Leica’s warranty is significantly better on their products w/o the internal electronics. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many have heard my ramblings before, I apologize in advance Smiler

I have a pair of 10x42 Swarovskis. Great glass that I’ll eventually pass on to one of my kids.

2 years back, I decided on a pair of Leica range finding binoculars. I cannot believe how much I like them. Incredible glass and the range finder works perfect. I will not go on a hunt without them.

I have compared the glass of both. Leica wins for me. The range finder is so handy as well.

They have been the perfect set of glass. Trust me, go with the range finder.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a pair of range finding binoculars so take this for what it's worth.

I can see their practicality but wonder how long the electronics will last in them. If the manufacturer quits supporting them in the future then you are stuck with an expensive and extra heavy pair of plane old binos.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using leica RF binos for 10+ years and have been very happy with them, never had any problems.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today's a great day to call us to discuss different options and what would be best for you as it's the last day of our Month End Call In Sale.
This sale runs through the end of business today, 5:30 Eastern time. Please call us at 516-217-1000 to discuss what you're looking for and special pricing.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Many have heard my ramblings before, I apologize in advance Smiler

I have a pair of 10x42 Swarovskis. Great glass that I’ll eventually pass on to one of my kids.

2 years back, I decided on a pair of Leica range finding binoculars. I cannot believe how much I like them. Incredible glass and the range finder works perfect. I will not go on a hunt without them.

I have compared the glass of both. Leica wins for me. The range finder is so handy as well.

They have been the perfect set of glass. Trust me, go with the range finder.

Jason,
What model Leica Rangefinder Binos did you buy?

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve handled various bino/RF combinations. They’re too heavy for me.
I use Swaro 10-32 EL binocs and Leica RF.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Doug, buy some Leica HD-B demo's for 1400 if he has them, end of story!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Leice 10x42 Geovids that I bought from Doug at Cameraland back in 2013. They serve me well and I find I carry them more and more as time goes on. I bought a Leica rangefinder back in 2010 from him as well and have 4 Zeiss binoculars. Its much easier to carry just the Leica binos that a rangefinder and a bino, especially when hunting other than in a tree stand. Get the Leica with the rangefinder and you won't regret it.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, I like a plain bingo as for the vast majority of my shooting is under 300 yards and likely closer. I will carry a small rangefinder WHEN NEEDED but it generally isn’t even when I think it might be. This gives you a less complicated, lighter bingo also a less expensive bingo. If the bingo needs repair you still have the rangefinder and vice versa. I have found range finding binos too heavy when researching that possibility. Also if hunting with a partner he can use take the rangefinder and let you know while you focus on the animal with your bingo or scope. When using a rangefinder for rifle hunting, it is likely looong range and there is plenty of time to shoot or prepare to shoot. Opinions may vary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD:

I bought the non angle compensating 10X42’s. I can’t remember the model. I’ve ranged out to 2300 yards

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought Leica RFs from Doug a few years ago on sale for like $999 and wouldn't hunt without them now.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have range finding binos in both Swarovski and Leica. I like them both. I wouldn't hunt without them. I've been using them for years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would wait a little longer and see where pricing goes on Swaro EL and SLC lines. With the intro of the NL Pure line, I think pricing will have to shift a bit. Same with the rangefinding lines.

Otherwise, I've been really happy with my Leica HD-B Geovids. The Zeiss Victory RF's are supposed to be better, but I've not looked through them.

When I bought my Leica's, I also bought the Swaro EL Range, and returned the EL's. They were not as bright and I just didn't like the feel in my hand.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farbedo:
I would wait a little longer and see where pricing goes on Swaro EL and SLC lines. With the intro of the NL Pure line, I think pricing will have to shift a bit. Same with the rangefinding lines.

Otherwise, I've been really happy with my Leica HD-B Geovids. The Zeiss Victory RF's are supposed to be better, but I've not looked through them.

When I bought my Leica's, I also bought the Swaro EL Range, and returned the EL's. They were not as bright and I just didn't like the feel in my hand.

Jeremy

The SLC's have been discontinued. The EL's have dropped in price to about the price the SLC's were before they were reduced last year and the NL Pure is not the top of the line replacing the EL as the top of the line

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3635 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
As an eye glass wearer with 20-450 vision, corrected to 20-15. I will say that I need tons of eye relief. The Geovids are beautiful to my eyes, especially the 8x56. But that is a lot of glass to use.

I wish both companies would make a 10x50 LRF model. In the 8x42's the Swarovski is slightly better, as it is more usable on eye relief. Leica has several models of LRF Geovids with split hinge and dual hinge models. I am not sure which one has the most eye relief but is that it would come down to for me.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
never hunted with a range finder although I have a cheaper one..I have my 8x30 Leicas I hunt with..I tend to over shoot if I miss so it seems,so maybe a range finding set of binocs would be nice..Ill wait until a real deal comes my way, no rush been without them for about 70 years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote