New
Find
Notify
Tools

offset rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ran into a great deal on a Schmidt and Bender illuminated scope at a Cabelas awhile back. It's a 1.5-6X42 with the illuminated cd reticle. It looks new, and it was only $650. The bad news was that I didn't have enough room to mount it on my 416 Rigby, as the scope only has about five inches between the bells, and I need about 5.3 inches since the action is so damned long. The rifle has Talley bases and currently wears a Kahles Helia C in 1.5-6X42.
I called Talley, and they said they do not make any sort of offset ring.
I put the scope away. I recently picked up a new Winchester in 375 H&H, and it looks like I will have the same situation.
Does anyone know of a good detachable mounting system that will allow me to mount this scope on such a long action, and still let me take it off to use the iron sights? It would be a great piece of glass in a leopard blind with the illuminated reticle, but on a dangerous game rifle, I want to be able to take it off.
If I can't mount it on one of my big bores, I just might trade it on one of the new Swaro Z6i 1-6 EE scopes.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard Redfield-style turn-in rings (Leupold, Burris, etc.) are available with an offset forward ring which gives you about 3/4" leeway. This is not a "quick detachable" system, however, simply by removing one rear windage screw you can rotate the scope and front ring out of its mount very quickly. Chances are that you will need to re-zero when returning the scope to its mount, but not to any greater degree than one does with any of the "advertised" return-to-zero quick detachable mounts on the market. In other words, regardless of the mount, I would refuse to hunt with a reattached scope until having fired at least one sighter shot to ascertain where the scope was NOW pointing in relation to the bore.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one of the smiths that post in the gunsmithing forum to make you a Talley base that extends reward on the front ring or get a rear base made that extends forward.
If neither will look right get both bases made extended that split the difference.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MARTY
talley make extended bases, you achive the same result
i had the same problem with a HOWA3006 , i was mounting a 4x leupold and the scope went in , but just , i would have liked to have the rear ring off set foward just a bit, and it gives you a bit of lee way especially on the big kickers

im just wondering should we start sending talley e mails requesting off set rings, im sure there capeable of making them

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am having the same issue with a Heym Express rifle in a 404J. The Heym rifle comes with Tally rings specifically made for it and the receiver is not drilled and tapped. This results in the distance between the rings being too long for anything other than a scope without a front bell. Was hoping to mount a Z6i 1.7x10 42mm but it will not fit. I am curious if there have been any solutions develop to this issue since the post originated?

Thanks,

Sam

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 15 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeGrand:
I am having the same issue with a Heym Express rifle in a 404J. The Heym rifle comes with Tally rings specifically made for it and the receiver is not drilled and tapped. This results in the distance between the rings being too long for anything other than a scope without a front bell. Was hoping to mount a Z6i 1.7x10 42mm but it will not fit. I am curious if there have been any solutions develop to this issue since the post originated?

Thanks,

Sam

Marty & LeGrand,
You may also want to move this over to the “Custom Gun” . There are more viewers there along with some of the top gun builders with possibly experience on mounting a S&B 1.5-6X42 on a Rigby length action. One of my favorite scopes too!

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would tend to make changes to my rifle to take a set of standard talleys unless it was collectable to some extent..but for a using big bore Id toss the junk and go with a QD tALLEY or Griffen and Howe, something that would clear the front ring to allow for usable iron sights in a big bore.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote