New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars tube alignment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Pentax binocular, 10X42 DCF WP. Pretty good quality.
They rode around in a hard plastic cubby in the dash of my Honda UTV, and now the tubes are out of alignment. A little cross-eyed, in that pulling the objectives apart resolves it.
Can these be fixed? DIY possible?
Where could I send them? They are good enough to be worth fixing if it doesn’t cost a ton.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this sounds dumb but grab each barrel and give them a good twist. they might just pop back into shape, i had that happen with a pair of leits l company wanted 200 just to look at them - i did the above and still have them today working fine, if not y9u don;t have a lot of options with pentax since they aren't around anymore

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be adjustable, but I doubt it's a DIY job.

A good old-fashioned camera repair guy should be able to do it.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
(Collimation and decollimation. "Collimation" refers to all the optical elements in an instrument being on their designed optical axis. It also refers to the process of adjusting an optical instrument so that all its elements are on that designed axis (in line and parallel).

MOST binoculars I examine have some degree of barrel misalignment which is very frustrating. The popular center focus design is worse about misalignment than the IF models since the joint between the barrels has to accommodate the focusing mechanism. Unfortunately, I haven't found any manufacturer whose service shop will correct this problem. My solution when buying a binocular is to visually check them and if they are right then buy and if they are wrong then pass.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote