Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a fair deal on a Lyman American
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=150329722

The seller says the optics are clear. I have a 300 H&H on an Enfield 17 action that I'm trying to re-create the look of a post-war sportier based on the Remington Model 30's of the era (late 40's to early 60's). I don't know much about the American series, will it hold up to the recoil? Are how do they compare to the Weaver K series?

I was looking at a Redding bear cub as well, but the 26mm rings spoked me off.

Thanks,

Ronn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
link didn't work but the old lymans are some of my all time favorite scopes. much better than the weaver K's i found them much clearer than the old redfields. in fact my all time favorite scope is an old lyman 10x that has 1/8 minute crosshairs and a 1/4 minute dot. it mounted on an old heavy barrel sako 222 mag and you can amuse yourself for hours shooting the corners off postage stamps at 200

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed the link--it seems in very good shape and he's asking $75. I think I'll bite:-)

Ronn

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Lyman's are good. However, this one looks a bit rough in the finish and I believe it is the pre Permacenter model.

I would advise looking for a Lyman All-American Permacenter with the finish in a little better shape for about the same money. Check fleabay.

Back "in the day", Lyman never had quite the reputation as Redfield, but in my observation the Lymans were perhaps a little better optically.

I saw a Leupold M7-4X for sale on ebay a day or so ago. That's another excellent candidate as a contemporary companion for a vintage gun.

(Disclaimer -- I don't have anything for sale on any auction site.)

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks--I'll pass on this one and keep hunting--there's a nice one on ebay right now for the same price. And thanks for the tip on the Leupold!

Ronn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of thoughts on older scopes.
Benchrest shooting in the late 1960's and 1970's I had two Lyman 20x scopes. Lymans were used by other shooters as they were about as good as it was back then. I had a chance recently to compare images of other powers of old Lymans, and realized how poor they are compared to today's good scopes, like Leupolds.
FWIW.
If you buy an old scopes that needs repair in any way, plan on spending $100 minimum just to disassemble and clean one of them; parts would be extra.
I guess my point here is to buy a known good scope for openers.
I've settled on old Leupold 3x and long tube 4x scopes for the period look. I'd like to find a Stith Bear Cub or a Picar to mount on old rifles too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased an older Lyman All American 4x/post reticle and from what I can determine it is as near new as you can find. Seems very clear and like you, wanting to use on "period" rifle. Did a search and there is a operation in Ohio that does repairs/cleaning/etc. on older Lymans. If you want location can send to you?? Have not mtd. nor shot yet and may fly apart when I do, but now know where it could be repaired if necessary.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote