Find
Notify
Tools

Are 15x binos worth the investment?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
I have carried my pair of 10x42 SLCs for years hunting all over the world. I have some longer distance hunts coming up the next few years, does it make sense to upgrade to a pair of 15x56 SLCs? They are heavy to carry..

I am seriously thinking about the new 10x42 EL range binoculars but keep thinking maybe a pair of 15x would be better and just carry a rangefinder like I do now.

I have a spotting scope as well but find it difficult on most hunts. Trying to wrap my head around would I rather carry heavy 15x binos or the very cool EL Range Binos at 10x

I’m a dedicated Swarovski guy :-)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Decisions.. decisions..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love the 15x56 bins if they are mounted to a tripod and that's the only way I use them.

My 10x42 EL's are great for anything i'd do hunting out west.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've found, if hand held, what you make up for in power with a 15x you lose in stability. I have used a 10x on a tripod and it's awesome. 10x is all I want if hand held.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about the NL Pure 12X?

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not an "either or" decision. I've had 15x Swaros and loved them, but they are not practical to carry as your only bin (although some people do this) Very restrictive.
Go for the new 10x EL Range, or if you are happy with the separate rangefinder, go the 10x42 NL Pure. I have never looked through the 12x42 NLs, but am a little leary of the small exit pupil, because small exit pupils are not as comfortable to use as larger exit pupils.
As BaxterB said, top quality 10x42s on a tripod are very good (I have 10x42 NLs on a tripod), and also versatile, but they will be outclassed at very long distances by good 15x when looking for the ear or the antler of an animal bedded in cover.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the "doublers". You could put them on while glassing on a tripod.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was having this discussion a few years ago with Austrian hunters hunting Chamois in the Alps. On the mountains they stick with 8 or 10x Swarovski bins for finding animals. From the valley or the hut they use a tripod mounted spotting scope of up to 60x to get a close look. But when out stalking the binoculars are the main optic. But they also have powerful - up 20x scopes on their rifles. Not so much for shooting with, but as an optic they can hold steady to check out a particular animal.

Here is Scotland, most open ground stalkers still resort to some kind of long three draw scope - Grays in particular are wonderful. There is a knack to using them lying on your back using your knee as a brace, but they are light and really good for getting a close look at a stag on the opposite mountain. Swarovski do make a two draw scope, but its a bit short to brace properly.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You post a great question.

I purchased 15x Leica several months back. I like them but they’d never replace my 10x42’s. I plan on using my 15’s on a light weight tripod.

If I draw my Utah sheep tag, I’ll go with a guide service that have been sheep hunting for more than 30 years. I was surprised to to find out that their guides exclusively use 15x binoculars.

I’d buy them, use them both before your hunt (practice glassing with both sizes) and see which you like best.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the 15x56 bins if they are mounted to a tripod and that's the only way I use them.

My 10x42 EL's are great for anything i'd do hunting

Exactly. My two pair of Swaro 15X56s are for using on a tripod and for glassing. They are especially helpful in Mexico for Desert and Coues Deer when you don't want to, or have the ability to carry a heavy spotting scope setup. My Swaro EL 10X42 rangefinders or my Leica 10X42 rangefinders are for hunting not only the West, but Mexico, Africa, Alaska, etc. etc. etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found anything above 10 power to must be mounted to something. I love my tripod and 15 power. Rarely use my spotter anymore unless on a mountain or desert hunt.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess none of you have heard of my favorite binoculars, the Canon 10x IS. The IS stands for Image Stabilizer. If you need it, push a button and the binos (electronically) stabilize the image! I have no need for a rest or a tripod.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried handheld binos above 10X, but found you're just asking for (1) frustration in finding your target in the more limited field of view, and (2) asking for eyestrain and headaches as your brain attempts to compensate for the unsteadiness of the sight picture.

On the other hand, a good high-power binocular with proper collimation on a tripod is superior to a spotting scope. However, collimation (both barrels pointing the same place) is critically important, especially with high powered binos, and it seems that most manufacturers can't seem to align their barrels especially well. Big, heavy binoculars, particularly those with the extra moving part of the center focusing mechanism, can be hard to keep in proper collimation. Caveat emptor.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate 10x binos.

All my high end binos (swaros and minox apo) are 8x.

I love my 15x canon image stabilized binos.

When I hunt kansas I normally carry both 8x and 15x into the stand or ground blind.

When I need to really check out a deer I use the 15x and rest it on something.

I traded some old spotting scopes for the canon at local pawn shop. Love the 15x.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote