New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to lubricate scope adjustments.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the process of sighting in my Springfield 03 .35 Whelen, which is fitted with a Noske Number 1 Type A Field Scope. I was not surprised that a scope of that age is difficult to adjust, but would like to know if there is a way of lubricating the adjustments which will not affect the optics.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
I am in the process of sighting in my Springfield 03 .35 Whelen, which is fitted with a Noske Number 1 Type A Field Scope. I was not surprised that a scope of that age is difficult to adjust, but would like to know if there is a way of lubricating the adjustments which will not affect the optics.

I don't think there is any safe way to lubricate adjustments inside, Bill, without risking smudging the lenses. This is why good makers used to (and still should) use brass for internal moving parts, because it is a greasy metal.

I have an eight-page booklet on these scopes (reprints available from Cornell Publications) but it does not mention lubrication. Your scope was Noske's best grade and looks to have the reticle held in some kind of Oldham coupling, the most secure design I can think of. The downside could be that if the sliding members seize up they could be stuck worse than with conventional adjustments.

So, if you can't get them moving by gently twisting back and forth, I would send the scope to Iron sight Inc or some similar optics firm and get it refurbished. It may cost a bit but the scope deserves it.

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul,

I have an original copy of the Noske booklet and you're right, it doesn't mention lubrication. The adjustment knobs are not particularly easy to grip with the fingers, but I suppose Noske made them that way on purpose. No knurled or coin slotted knobs for him!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, don't go there!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
How did you go with that, Bill?

BTW, I've actually had my book reviewed in an American ezine about German guns, and sold one on the strength of it. I've also been writing articles for our equivalent of The American Rifleman and had three published, two about scopes/mounts. My idea is to publicise the pen name but they pay me about $450 for each - more than I've been making from the books Smiler

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote