THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50. Good for hogs at night?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50. Good for hogs at night?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Wondering it would be good for shooting wild hogs under a red light at night.

Thanks

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I guess it would be as long as your rifle doesn't recoil too much (for fear of the erector-tube rattle Atkinson tells us about) and you do not bump the big bell on your way out there.

Though even a 50mm objective will only give a 3mm exit pupil at 16x, the twilight factor/value of 28 exceeds the theoretical minimum of 17.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
A 264 WinMag shouldn't punish it too badly.

I would love to have a Zeiss/Hensoldt 6-24x72...but that may need to wait a while.

Posts: 7477 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Actually, for the application you describe and for what that scope costs, there are better options.

Even under a feeder light, crosshairs can be difficult to pick up. I always felt a heavy reticle like a Zeiss #4 was the way to go because most illumination systems were too bright and adversely affected your vision at night. But that is no longer the case. In several scopes, the illuminated dots are small, unobtrusive and adjust to very dim levels. And they make shot placement much easier under the poorest of lighting.

You can find a used/demo Zeiss Duralyt or Conquest DL or a Kahles KX-i for about the same as the cost of a new Bushnell 6500.

Also, for what you describe, the Leupold VX-R 3-9x50 with firedot duplex is a better option than the 6500 and even costs less.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Scope Man" speaks, wise men listen :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trijicon's 2.5-10X56 would be my choice, and was for night time leopard hunting under a full moon.

The only scope that I could find that was better under a full moon was the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest 3-12X56. But the Trijicon won due to the illuminated reticle. The Zeiss was only better if you needed to use 5-6 power. At 4 power, where I needed it to work well, they were identical.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Wondering it would be good for shooting wild hogs under a red light at night.

Thanks

No, but it is long enough and heavy enough that it would make a pretty good club to finish them off with. I would suggest using a Little League aluminum baseball bat instead, but after finding out what the one my grandson wants costs I suspect that the Bushnell is cheaper.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote