New
Find
Notify
Tools

rangefinders
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My 1000 yd Leupold just took a dump, Leupold says it is out of warrantee (only 2 years!) so too bad. Vortex's have a lifetime warrantee but are PRC and I'm too old fashioned for PRC stuff.. Maybe it would be best to spring for the Leica 2400, which sells for 550. To me, 400 yds is a long shot so the range isn't critical.

My old Weavers still work fine after about 25 years but I need a suitcase to carry them.

Any comments?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica is never a bad choice when it comes to rangefinders. I'd call Doug at CameralandNY and he will take care of you.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Leica 2400-R is an excellent rangefinder that you'll be very happy with it. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, so we can discuss it

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3633 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Doug, I'll give you a call on Monday.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second that the Leica 2400-R is an excellent rangefinder. I had to replace a Leica 1600 CRF that went missing from my luggage while traveling to Africa. I found a 2400-R model at a good price. They are not heavy items by any means but to my delight the even more capable 2400-R weighs less than the 1600 CRF.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1987 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check the off-brands on Amazon. They come out of the same one or two factories in China that make all of them, regardless of whose brand name is on them. I bought one last year for under $70 that works MUCH better than any of the name brands I've owned previously. It is also equipped with a permanent rechargeable battery that won't corrode and leave you with a nasty, worthless mess.

Posts: 13213 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Leica 2400 came in; I just took it for a walk down by the river, works great!

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheaters!!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41752 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I think I'm with Atkinson, if I get his drift. My new ethic is to eschew any electrical aid when hunting game rather than pests. I used to have a cheap 'Remington' range finder. It worked well enough but didn't have a reminder to use it when a critter appeared Smiler

To my mind, finding decent rests, looping trajectories and the complications of shooting on slopes should make us wary of any shot over 300 yards or so

Posts: 4911 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh- I know what you guys are saying. Actually, I feel badly using repeating rifles and scopes. I have an old 30-30 that I haven't used since I was a kid, but my son and my brother's son both shot their first javelinas with it. I'm sure I could have good results with it and anything within 20 feet and not moving would be in trouble. Maybe. And I wouldn't even need a rangefinder.

jmbn
Old and in the way