New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another first for Leupold
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I sent an old scope back to Leupold last week, a old 4X that the windage screw had locked up on..They emailed me to call them to make some options..crap, now what..so I called..

They asked if I would approve the replacement of my scope with a new one as they didn't have the old parts but under their guarantee, they could replace with a scope of my choice!! I said that's the Leupold Ive learn to love over the last 60 years..I ordered a a new 4x since they have discontinued them I think..I asked can I have my pick? they said sure, take your pick!!

How in the hell can you beat that? and its not the first time, 3 years ago my horse fell in a shale slide and on by rifle and broke my scope in half, they just sent me a new one! That's why Ive used Leupold for a lifetime..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

... How in the hell can you beat that? ...

Well, you could ask them to make you another one with the same mechanics they put in your 2.5x Wink

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't wanna push my luck!! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good to see they're still operating as before. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more, Ray. That's why Leupold is my default choice for scopes when putting together a new rifle. USA made, legendary track record, and customer service that is simply ridiculous. I have absolutely no qualms about buying or selling a used Leupold, and have gotten a few really good deals as a result.

I view Leupold as the "30-06 of optics" in that it's probably the best choice for whatever you're doing, and the only reason to select something else is because you have a specialized need and/or just want to be a contrarian!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how many leupolds I had/have. In total easily 30. Had a problem with one handgun scope that was fixed fast and free. I’ll keep buying and using leupold.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Zeiss binos because I glass far more than I look though a scope. All of my rifle scopes are Leupold save a Redfield Ranger 2x7, which is an excellent scope.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear Ray.

I’ve been switching over to Leopold scopes and
have liked them. In recent years I’ve bought a Steiner and a Minix scope. I have not been that impressed.

Your report further justifies my decision!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I had the option of whatever scope I wanted, to replace the old scope..I opted for another 4X, and by golly it had the newer click adjustments on it. that was a plus..Its now my favorite 4X..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Atkinson
posted 22 July 2020 03:22 Hide Post
I opted for another 4X, and by golly it had the newer click adjustments on it. that was a plus..Its now my favorite 4X..

Congratulations only finally graduating to the 20th Century Ray. Does it feel good to actually be catching up...?? Big Grin Wink

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and by golly it had the newer click adjustments on it...

What's the difference, Ray, between old and new?

I'm looking after an M8 12x Varmint scope (until I can sell it for the church op shop), which just has friction adjustments, and have a seven-year-old VX-1 with clicks. Is the latter likely to have the newer clicks?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have my old M8. 6x42, witch was my first "low light scope" hunting roe deer at dusk and dawn.
Heaven know how many years it is since I bought it.
It has the friction adjustment and a ring that can be set to zero after zeroing the scope.
Still crystal clear, and I figure I will put it on my 22 LR plinker.
To good a scope just living in a drawer Smiler

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have dozens of Leupolds as well. Only had one problem with one of their scopes and they fixed it for free. Great company and great scopes. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
... and by golly it had the newer click adjustments on it...

What's the difference, Ray, between old and new?

I'm looking after an M8 12x Varmint scope (until I can sell it for the church op shop), which just has friction adjustments, and have a seven-year-old VX-1 with clicks. Is the latter likely to have the newer clicks?

Yes the newer VX 1 likely has the clicks.

The reason the click adjustments are nicer is because they are more precise. A given amount of clicks move the reticle the same amount each time compared to the friction adjustment that may or may not hit the same mark repeatedly.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I think clicks have another function, too: they hold the setting with greater certainty.

Because turret screws are not secured by tightening down in the normal sense, clicks provide the best 'friction' I can think of to make them stay where you leave them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year, I sent four Leupolds 4x28mm scopes in. One was bought off ebay and was not tracking. So I sent them the others in also figuring why not, let them go through them. I also was notified that since they were old and don’t have parts, they will offer me a new replacement for each. I picked up a 2.5x,4x and two 6x36’s. I am more than pleased. I have more than a dozen Leupolds, mostly fixed. Love them. The competition has become severe these days. Yet not one company can match their light weight, strength, pleasing looks that don’t over power the classic rifle, warranty and place of manufacture.
Many companies have improved their warranties but have not always been so. I have had optics from Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss and was burned or had to pay for repair.
I gifted a friend a couple of years ago a Minox 15x binocular, one of the eye pieces stopped focusing. It became a heavy monocular. He sent it to Blaser HQ’s in Texas the new owner and they are trying to get out of the repair.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That is remarkable, mlf, but my cynical viewpoint makes me wonder what is behind it.

When I was young at least one German brand had a 25-year warranty but I don't remember anyone ever needing or bothering to claim it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was young at least one German brand had a 25-year warranty but I don't remember anyone ever needing or bothering to claim it.

I know that Nikon once had a twenty-five year guaranty, as I had some of their smaller binos and that was their guaranty at that time. Not sure about German brands.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago I bought a 5 star Redfield 6X18 for my 25-06. It started to get a bit foggy so I sent it back as at that time they had a lifetime warranty. They wanted to send me a new scope in place of it but I declined; I would rather have the old original rebuilt. I don't know if they still have a lifetime warranty.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
While most who get a new scope replacement from Leupold instead of a repair are more than happy I find it a rather glib and wasteful response. When it comes to their scopes, and I have some, just how old is old and why do they not keep a stock of parts for repairs.

We complain about the Chinese made throw away society we have in respect of many household appliances e.g. toaster fails, throw it away and get another one, they're so cheap but here it seems with Leupold, great well made optics are just thrown away and replaced too.

I'm sure most would be happy to get their own Leupold scope back, checked, cleaned and repaired rather than just binned.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell I'll take a new one anyday..Most of mine are old, and they work as good as ever, and I don't want to take advantage of their good policy. I really like that new 4X they sent me, and it was taken through the mill this hunting season..I still like my 2.5 Leupold Alaskan, its a tough little bugger, but as Ive turned 86 I think, I must confess I need a bit more Xs in my scopes and find Im using my 2x7x28s this year, dammit..but its the same size as my 4X scopes for all practical purposes, but so far the 4X is my choice..as we age things change and its best to change with them if you must.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

I know that Nikon once had a twenty-five year guaranty, as I had some of their smaller binos and that was their guaranty at that time. Not sure about German brands.

The brand l was thinking of was called Pecar. It was made in Berlin but marketed by an American using the German pronunciation of the initials of the maker, Paul Koehler. They were extremely tough scopes, sticking with reticle-movement, even in the constantly centred Champion model, right to the end in about 2006.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe most optics company’s have pretty good warrantys.
I will also say swarovski were good to deal with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman.
It has clicks and movement is exact, its clear as a bell, so far so good,,Ive had some scopes repaired and only the really old ones getcha a new scope. Ive used Leupld for something like 70 years and I have had a few bad things happen like a horse rool over and beak one in half, i sent it to them, telling them it was anybody fault but the horse but could fix it with a new body, the sent me a new one!! I had a hunter get excited and twist the eye piece off my binocs and they sent me a new pair and a month later got my old ones fixed back, Called Leupold adn told them I was going to send the new ones back, they said "What and mess up our book work". Merry Xmas Mr. Atkinson, that in itself speaks for me..

Granted Im not as into optics as you are, no doubt about that, but as to experience and use of Leupold, Im right up their on the whats good chart..Sent some back and they fix'em or send a new one, that suits me better than anything else, and no not all optic co.s make good a warranty based on my experience with others Ive used including binocs and scopes..

Nor can I imagine someone wanting to keep and old scope when a new one of your choice is avaiable, How about old tires do these guys want them back over a new one, goodness!!

Not only that, I need to review my spelling, sometimes I type faster than I think I guess, not good, I will try and proof read more often. welll maybe not. faint

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Leupold's customer service is second to none. Own a fair number of them. My only problem with Leupold (and this applies to nearly all currently made scopes) is how short the tubes have become. It's hard to get the eye relief correct for many of the guns I shoot, such as Ruger No. 1 rifles. The old M8 4x and 3x scopes were great in that regard. Wish they were still available. Judging from used prices on eBay, others do too.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Wow. I’ll have to try one.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason the click adjustments are nicer is because they are more precise. A given amount of clicks move the reticle the same amount each time compared to the friction adjustment that may or may not hit the same mark repeatedly.

Obviously, fashions change. Leupold's early friction-only adjustment was advertised as being superior to "click" adjustments found on most scopes at the time. The reason was that the friction adjustment could theoretically be adjusted in infinitely small increments, not just in 1/4 or 1/3 MOA increments. However, the popularity among users of the seemingly more positive "click" adjustments (even if one click didn't necessarily match the next in image movement) eventually caused Leupold to move to the detent-style adjustments.

Yes, the click adjustments seem simpler to use and more positive, but in reality the old Leupold friction adjustments never moved once in place and could be theoretically adjusted more precisely.

Which type doesn't really matter much to me, but I'm super-pissed that practically no one offers a gloss finish any more.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Been down at my son's place looking after my 7yo granddaughter and his lifestyle block and came across a couple of pairs of Leupold Acadia binoculars with faulty diopter adjustments. Contacted the listed dealer for Leupold here in NZ to find out about making a warranty claim and they replied back straight away advising me to take the binoculars to any Leupold retailer and they will be sent to the Leupold in the USA and replaced within 4-5 weeks. I don't think Acadia model is made anymore so interesting to see what they are replaced with.
Great service if it all works out.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In case anyone is wondering, I haven't got offended and baled out. It's just this tablet I've been sentenced to for forums is very temperamental and doesn't connect with the Internet half the time.*

Atkinson and I have in fact had a good conversation by email, thanks very much, Ray.

Yes, I think Leupold are probably the best-value scopes available now - but that's not saying much because all hunting scopes are compromised by image-movement.

I finally got the turret cap for the M8 12x varmint scope the church op shop asked me to sell. The dealer thought Leupold turned it up from scratch but it still only cost $15. I sold the scope and the op shop got $320, not bad since one of the ladies was going to throw it in the bin until yours truly came up in the conversation.

*My annoyance with this tablet informs my attitude to illumination and everything else needing batteries: if you can do without them, try to because electrics always let you down eventually. Matter of fact, my hunting mate showed me his Burris Aimpoint (9000?) while hunting last week. He was very proud of it, saying you could shoot with both eyes open. You'd want to, because even then it was like looking through a donut. With an actual scope like my old Nickel Supralyt 1x12 you can not only shoot with both eyes open but the field blending is like looking off the edge of wire-rimmed glasses. Moreover, if you can't see the thick-post reticle, you might as well go home for supper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%, I have no use for lights, red dots, batteries and such gimmicks, and that actually includes varibles, even though I have a number of varibles (shame on me) I do have a shop full of old 4X and 3X, the 3X are actually down to 3, as they bring such high prices these days, and those Leupold Alaskans fetching $450 amaze me..I have one but bought back in its infancy, today its available only on special order Im told..

Never doubt Sambarmans knowledge on scopes. He set up camp inside a scope tube and has never come out, Im amazed at his knowledge of optics, I think, how would I know, kinda like talking to my heart doctor, he speaks a different language! rotflmo but keep it up Sambar, Im learning more every post you make.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Been down at my son's place looking after my 7yo granddaughter and his lifestyle block and came across a couple of pairs of Leupold Acadia binoculars with faulty diopter adjustments. Contacted the listed dealer for Leupold here in NZ to find out about making a warranty claim and they replied back straight away advising me to take the binoculars to any Leupold retailer and they will be sent to the Leupold in the USA and replaced within 4-5 weeks. I don't think Acadia model is made anymore so interesting to see what they are replaced with.
Great service if it all works out.

Update on above post, got back home in second week after Easter and dropped the two pair of faulty Acadia binoculars into local Hunting and Fishing store on the Thursday afternoon, got a phone call from them the following Tuesday to say they had two new pairs of BX-1 McKenzie HD 10x42 and 8x42 binoculars in store for me to collect as warranty replacements for the original Acadia models.
Now can't complain about that service from both the retailer and Leupold tu2

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In case anyone remembers my story about the Leupold target scope, I sold it to my cousin but by the time my costs and not needing to advertise it was considered, the op shop got market value. Anyway, when the turret cap finally arrived I sent it to him, registered and insured, but before he got around to putting it on the scope, Somebody decided to do some cleaning up and the damned thing was thrown out with the rubbish.

So, he asked me to get another one. I rang the dealer and was told "no worries, we've got another one". They even tried to give it to me but I insisted on paying another $15 - just as well because when I tried it on my VX-1 (that's what the first one had been labelled) I found the thread was too short. This one was in fact made for the Compact 2.5x. Since I've got one of those and know the hair-tearing a lost cap can cause, I've decided to keep it just in case.

My cousin may have to wait another nine months for his

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because they say they are giving you a scope for free doesn't mean its free. The cost of their customer service program is built into the cost of their scopes and other products, just like any other business. Leupold is the Chevrolet of scopes.

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote