New
Find
Notify
Tools

The difference Is?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just picked up this spotter: https://www.leupold.com/spotti...pes/gr-12-40x60mm-hd

It's primary use will be Rocky Mountain big game hunting.

What's the difference between it and the US military sniper spotter, the M4:

https://www.leupold.com/spotti...tical-spotting-scope

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, there is the price. Having just bought my first spotting scope, an old, old Nickel Marburg 15-60x, I am not in a position to evaluate such things.

If all the numbers align, then maybe it is lens quality or coatings or their mountings' strength - or maybe it is just marketing.

One thing I know is that army procurement's buying something does not always mean it is perfect.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disregard Sambar's comments. The difference is that the tactical spotter is FFP, and has a mil reticle. Glass, coatings, function, etc are the same otherwise.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry Grubbs,
pity you hadn't chimed in earlier since EMP3's post had been up for damned-near three weeks with nary an answer.

The price difference seems quite a lot for just a graticule. Are you sure that's all there is?

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
The price difference seems quite a lot for just a graticule. Are you sure that's all there is?

Absolutely not! Leupold puts a lot of money into paying advertising agencies to write grand superlatives about their higher-priced products. There are literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of input costs spent on advertising and copy writing by creative minds that doesn't go into Leupold's lower-priced products.

So yes, physically and optically they may be essentially the same, but in terms of promotion and hype there is a huge difference. Otherwise, Leupold could never justify their much higher prices.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High volume sales need advertising.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote