New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x. 50 mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting one of these for a coyote calling rifle.
Wondering about quality, clarity, etc of this model of Leupold. I do want that level of magnification.
Opinions on the VX3i line of Leupolds, please.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 1.5-5 and an older version and I find the VX3i to be clearer, brighter and slightly sharper and that is saying something because the Vari XIII was a decent scope in it's own right.
bb

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love my vx3i's. The 3.5-10x40 and 2.5-8x36. The glass quality and clarity are really a great deal for what you are receiving in my opinion. Are you looking at a 1" tube scope?

The 1" tube 4.5-14x50 vx3i has a field of view at 100y of 19.1ft on 4.5x.

The 1" tube 4.5-14x40 vx3i has a field of view at 100y of 19.9ft on 4.5x.

The 3.5x on the 1" tube 3.5-10x40 vx3i has a field of view of 29.9ft.

Just something to consider. I have a few of the vx3 4.5-14x40 (30mm tube) scopes and it is noticeable (the lost field of view).

I shoot plenty of coyotes each year and I hate scrambling to find them in the scope when they run in close

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful replies.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VX3i scopes are excellent!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't like variables with high lowest powers, in case something gets up close in, but I guess 4.5x is not that bad. IIRC Biebs loves this model and owns at least half a dozen, though.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My idea of a coyote rifle and Ive been shooting them longer than most, and guided many coyote hunts on my ranch, and at times you have to shoot quick and take running shots..

I like the Leupold 4x12, it covers all the bases and not bad for hunting big game if you must, I also like the 3x9 for coyote hunting when calling for instance..either scope suits me, the rest is hype and over powered..and those that use them spend most of their time messing with the dials, as the coyote trots away, the other are trying to find a coyote in the cross hairs as they are on 24X or whatever..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Ordered one.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have to admit my experience in coyote shooting is a bit slim. I had one well lined up about 150 yards a way while mule-deer hunting in Wyoming in 1986 but, having forgotten to check if it was OK to shoot them beforehand, didn't fire.

Later I came around a hill to spook two together about 40 yards away - but was a bit slow getting off a shot. I was amused that they ran away with tails tucked between their legs.

Posts: 4956 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote