New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tripod search
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a tripod for range use and hunting.
I have a Leupold 20-60x80

Not sure of what to look for as far as leg locks, head types or other things I'm not familiar with.

Would like one that can be used sitting and standing so something that could go around 6' would be preferred.

Weight would be another consideration. Not an issue for range use but nothing heavy for a back country hunt.

Been looking at these https://cameralandny.com/shop/...ON%20FIBER-%20SILVER.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions or recommendations?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Bogen/manfrotto tripods with ball heads. Not quite 6'. They are aluminum.

What I look for most:

lever locks instead of screw collets on the legs.
quick connect plates .

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The best pan head is the outdoorsmans.

Their tripods are good as well. I’ve used SLIK 624 carbon fiber and it’s a very nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really Right Stuff makes very expensive, but very strong carbon fiber tripod. Feisol makes a tall, strong, carbon fiber tripod that costs significantly less (though still a lot).

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In researching tripods I've come across many makes that I've never heard of.
With that, there are many opinions as to which is best.

I have no way to try or look at the majority of what people are mentioning.

It's rather frustrating trying to make a decision that is going to cost a substantial amount of money without being able to get a first hand experience with the product.

Thanks for the replies so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you are looking for doesn't exist, unfortunately.

Tall enough to stand behind whilst having sufficient rigidity will not be light. Nor would it be cheap. I have been able to stand behind mine, but I am short, and having the tripods extended so far was usable, but not ideal. 6' tripod would suit at least a 6'4", maybe 6'6" person.

Sirui and Slik both make reasonably priced, good quality tripods.

If you can compromise on the height a little, either of those two makers should have something stiff enough for your spotter and weighing maybe 2.5/3.00 lbs.

Keep an open mind on the legs locks. I was a flip lock fan for years, despite having a couple break on one cheap Manfrotto. Now I have a C/F Slik with the twist locks, and these particular twist locks work very well, and for me, are more convenient than flip locks. They are are an external ring, not rotating legs.

I agree with the Outdoorsmans pan head (not the micro pan head) suggestion. You can probably find a cheaper head, but this one is very good, and light.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Race: Call Outdoorsmans in Phoenix and talk with them about what you are looking for. I found out about them while hunting in Mexico for coues deer with my U.S. guides from Arizona, who had most of their gear from Outdoorsmans. I am sure that they could answer any questions that you have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Race,

I got all my info hanging out with some PRS shooters. They put Arca rails on their 16 or 20 pound rifles and then shoot them off of their carbon fiber tripods using the photography arca rail clamps on the ball heads. But obviously they also swap in spotters and spotting binoculars.

FWIW, the Really Right Stuff ball heads are the "go to" brand, but really expensive. They were built for guns, but have now started backwards marketing to the high-end photography market that is where all these tripods and arca rail accessories originated. Really Right Stuff tripods are also used a lot, but for half price the Feisol carbon fiber still holds a 16 to 20 pound rifle, or a spotting scope and I can get behind it comfortably at 6'5". Manfrotto tripods are also well-thought of.

Suggest you go find some of these PRS or long-range shooters and see if you can't get behind their gear and see what you like. But beware the giant sucking sound you hear coming from your wallet!

HTH
Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
This is the one you want, IMO.

https://www.peakdesign.com/pages/travel-tripod

It's well thought out, compact, and rated at something like 20#. Sets up from 6" to 6'.

I have at least 10 tripods, some cheap, some "compact" , some full sized Boegens and Manfrotos and the Peak Design is by far my favorite.

It also has a lifetime warranty.

My biggest problem has been hanging onto the thing. I'm on my third one as they keep getting left with guides after some strong hints or outright asks...

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions guys.

Thanks to all

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Race - I recently found myself in the same situation and decided to give Doug @ Cameraland a call during one of his "snowstorm" sales. I just bought a similar spotter and wanted a tripod that was smooth and stable. After some back and forth on options, I purchased this: Sirui Tripod

Got it about a week ago, and while it's still new and I'm proving it out, I have to say it's excellent! Very smooth, strong adjustments, and supports the weight of an 80mm spotter perfectly. Plus, it's on sale until the end of the year. I'd give him a call if you haven't purchased anything yet.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote