Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by Ready Aim Shoot:
quote:

The Zambezi valley might be more humid than other regions nearby but a joke compared to serious humid areas in the world were there is no oxygen in the air to breath and you sweat 24hrs/day, all year long.

What is your definition of a "serious" or high humidity level?

Areas in South America and Central America.[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask you for areas .... how about quoting percentages. coffee[/QUOTE]

Percentages mean nothing.For example the thermostat in my room reads 72 F and I need to wear a thick sweater indoors in the winter months.In the summer the thermostat reads 67 F and I am comfortable in a T-shirt.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Zambezi valley might be more humid than other regions nearby but a joke compared to serious humid areas in the world were there is no oxygen in the air to breath and you sweat 24hrs/day, all year long.

I can deal with hot and dry. 115-120 @ 8-10% humidity is not actually that bad.

To give you specifics, the town we fly into for Brazil fishing trips is Manaus. It is an actual seaport where the Rio Negro and the Solimoes rivers meet to form the Amazon proper.

I looked just now at current weather. It is 77 deg F with 88% humidity. I would be far more comfortable at 110 and 8%.

Fishing in it is an odd feeling. The heat feels different there, the Suns location in the sky means there is much less atmosphere for it to pass through. You simply move the boat into the shade and that feeling disappears immediately.

Granted, sitting in a boat fishing, is not a very strenuous activity.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't ask you for areas .... how about quoting percentages. coffee

Percentages mean nothing.For example the thermostat in my room reads 72 F and I need to wear a thick sweater indoors in the winter months.In the summer the thermostat reads 67 F and I am comfortable in a T-shirt.[/quote]

You don't have a clue and not surprising either.

How about trying a mean average temp. range between 80F to 100F with humidity levels between 70% to 90% ?

What I have just quoted are figure we live with on a daily basis in Tanzania though granted that the humidity levels drop at higher altitudes while midday temps can hit as high as 104F.

So to say we exaggerate about our weather is far from true.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can deal with hot and dry. 115-120 @ 8-10% humidity is not actually that bad.

To give you specifics, the town we fly into for Brazil fishing trips is Manaus. It is an actual seaport where the Rio Negro and the Solimoes rivers meet to form the Amazon proper.

I looked just now at current weather. It is 77 deg F with 88% humidity. I would be far more comfortable at 110 and 8%.

Fishing in it is an odd feeling. The heat feels different there, the Suns location in the sky means there is much less atmosphere for it to pass through. You simply move the boat into the shade and that feeling disappears immediately.

Granted, sitting in a boat fishing, is not a very strenuous activity.

Steve has many good points.

Having worked in both humid areas (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Gulf areas in Texas and Louisiana) and the desert areas in Arizona and California.

One needed to pay attention to the heat index, wind and humidity. All played a part in keeping your workers and your self safe. You can purchase little gizmos to give you that information. I have worked where the humidity was 100% humidity, and your dripping wet just standing, and if your body is working right you will have a steady stream of sweat in such conditions. When you are working at the low end near 5% humidity, your sweat will dry almost immediately.

Working along the Mississippi River, you experienced humidity and the summer heat. You were always looking for a gentle breeze to help cool you off. Working in Galveston Texas, you have both the heat and humidity, made a trip down there 2 years ago and just realized how harsh it can be in August/September. In the desert of California when the temp were near 130 degrees, the humidity was usually low, however a slight breeze felt like you were on fire.

Here is a Temperature and humidity chart that is helpful. Bear in mind that being fit and in shape you will be able to handle the heat and humidity better than someone who is over weight and not in fighting condition.

http://www.worksafesask.ca/wp-...12/Humidex-chart.gif

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/...13848_59898ee88e.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Where we live, humidity reaches almost 100% many months and the heat is so you can cook eggs on the hood of your car! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Choose another month.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Cal, given your description of your own temperature comfort zone, I think it is unlikely that you'll find a way to be "comfortable" in Zim in October. As you say, the hunting can be great then. September through November are my favorite times to hunt there. But it can be brutally hot during midday and difficult to sleep at night, making whatever hunting you're able to do less enjoyable than in June or July. My advice is to pick another time to go.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you guys mix electrolytes into you drinking water bottles?

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Good old fashion walking and some weight workout is plenty for Africa
High altitude, yes , you might wanna do a little more
Thing is, most of us international hunters ar over 50 and not endurance, high intensity athletes
Just eat well there and hydrate in that extreme heat

Milan, you're 100% accurate. Thing go into the weeds pretty fast eh?

BTW, I'm 60 in one month and stillride/race at a pretty high level. I pay extreme attention to the details. the three rules to win by...Sleep, Nutrition, Hydration.

I hear you Steve, 59 now and yes, not as fast as I used to be ...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:

Yes. Good idea. May want probiotics as well.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Been there a few times in October. During the worst sun when usually many take a nap or something I Will sit in the sun recharging the the "batteries". Living up north we need to take our chances for some sun you should know that Cal Smiler

Also that dry heat doesn't bother me at all, when the rain starts and humidity comes that's another story.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Been there a few times in October. During the worst sun when usually many take a nap or something I Will sit in the sun recharging the the "batteries". Living up north we need to take our chances for some sun you should know that Cal Smiler

Also that dry heat doesn't bother me at all, when the rain starts and humidity comes that's another story.

When I arrived on my first three trips to Africa, life had burnt me out and my skin would barely see any sunshine for sometimes years straight.When I took off my shirt and pants my body was a sickly light grey.In Makuti,at camp at noon when everyone doze I would sit on a chair at the fire pit soaking up the sun, drinking mazoa juice on ice and listening to the birds singing and loving it.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have not done that. Just water is all I have drunk.

The local stuff, filtered from a jug, or bottled water, which is also local, and I'm not sure much better.

In sufficient quantities, it works.

In fact, when the ambient temperature is 100+ degrees, and even when the H20 is lukewarm, it tastes better than an ice cold bottle of Cristal Brut.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get little packages of electrolytes at a health food store. Also works great for "Jet Lag" on the long trip over. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will land in Bulawayo in late June.
-10 F this am and went for a comfortable one hour walk. Will shoot some clays tomorrow.
Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will land in Bulawayo in late June.
-10 F this am and went for a comfortable one hour walk. Will shoot some clays tomorrow.
Cheers, all.
Cal

And I went for a comfortable bike ride with an outer layer this morning. It’s was 65 degrees.

PM me your address, I’m gonna send you something

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

I have not done that. Just water is all I have drunk.

The local stuff, filtered from a jug, or bottled water, which is also local, and I'm not sure much better.

In sufficient quantities, it works.

In fact, when the ambient temperature is 100+ degrees, and even when the H20 is lukewarm, it tastes better than an ice cold bottle of Cristal Brut.

Damn near nothing tastes better than Cristal Brut....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I don’t even have a clue what Cristal Brut is.

But when hunting or working on the ranch in 100+ weather as I have since I was 6...I just drink water and carry on. Really never gave it much thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Cristal is a damn fine champagne.....

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I surmised by the name. It was just never on the menu of any of the watering holes I frequented. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I take powdered drinks - the ones with real sugar, I hate sugar substitute or sugarless!

I keep these in my bag in the truck, and only drink when we get back to the truck.

I bring enough to share with everyone in our team, trackers and game scout included.

I never drink while out walking, and this never bothered me at all.

Sometimes I can go all day with nothing, apart from a couple of mugs of coffee at breakfast.

Generally, if we find tracks and intend to follow them, I would drink a soft drink before heading out.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been doing a lot of jogging and get really thirsty towards the end.When I get back I find that a large glass of Tropicana orange juice takes all my thirst away.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I take powdered drinks - the ones with real sugar, I hate sugar substitute or sugarless!

I keep these in my bag in the truck, and only drink when we get back to the truck.

I bring enough to share with everyone in our team, trackers and game scout included.

I never drink while out walking, and this never bothered me at all.

Sometimes I can go all day with nothing, apart from a couple of mugs of coffee at breakfast.

Generally, if we find tracks and intend to follow them, I would drink a soft drink before heading out.

Pretty much exactly the same for me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the Omay in October. It was tough. What worked for me: Set the walking pace for something you can manage, mindful of how many days your hunt will last.
Drink water on a schedule so you don't get behind on hydration. Most important bring a battery operated fan and some frog towels that you wet and put on you at night. This saved my bacon as the night time temperatures were in the nineties. If you don't get sleep at night dealing with the daytime temperatures only makes it more miserable.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gents:
How does one from a cold climate adjust to hunt in the heat of Zimbabwe? Being from Alaska I am comfortable in 5-10 degrees C. 15 is warm and anything over 20C starts to get uncomfortable.

Is there any way to adjsut one's body to the heat?

Cal

Yes.
Exercise in the heat, at least two hours per day.

The US Army recommends this for two weeks for their Ranger school candidates. Longer for those with >15min 2 mile run times!

So, moving somewhere hot a month before your planned trip and cardio for 2 hours per day and you will be ready.

https://www.usariem.army.mil/a...imatizationGuide.pdf

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Gents:
How does one from a cold climate adjust to hunt in the heat of Zimbabwe? Being from Alaska I am comfortable in 5-10 degrees C. 15 is warm and anything over 20C starts to get uncomfortable.

Cal

Yes.

The US Army recommends this for two weeks for their Ranger school candidates. Longer for those with >15min 2 mile run times!

So, moving somewhere hot a month before your planned trip and cardio for 2 hours per day and you will be ready.

Great advise but he problem is there is no heat here in rural Alaska in the summer.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
Gents:

Cal

Yes.

Great advise but he problem is there is no heat here in rural Alaska in the summer.

It's still pretty hot and humid in SW Missouri a month before your trip!

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4-5-0:
Did the Omay in October. It was tough. What worked for me: Set the walking pace for something you can manage, mindful of how many days your hunt will last.
Drink water on a schedule so you don't get behind on hydration. Most important bring a battery operated fan and some frog towels that you wet and put on you at night. This saved my bacon as the night time temperatures were in the nineties. If you don't get sleep at night dealing with the daytime temperatures only makes it more miserable.

I likewise hunted the Omar in October and did exactly the same thing. The fan and wet microfiber towel were lifesavers at night. I also had the staff move my bed outside onto the porch and hang the mozzie net from from the roof. The hippos wondering through camp at night necessitated a loaded rifle under the bed but wasn’t a problem.i kept a water bottle in my cargo pocket, drank often, and replaced it as needed from the trackers back pack.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

I likewise hunted the Omar in October and did exactly the same thing. The fan and wet microfiber towel were lifesavers at night. I also had the staff move my bed outside onto the porch and hang the mozzie net from from the roof. The hippos wondering through camp at night necessitated a loaded rifle under the bed but wasn’t a problem.i kept a water bottle in my cargo pocket, drank often, and replaced it as needed from the trackers back pack.

Was that the hunt were you passed out on the trail and had to be revived? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
I would pick another month. You will enjoy you time in the bush much more. The tsetse flies, ticks and mosquitos increase in warmer months.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were hunting Chete at this time.

Followed buffalo bulls into the hills, and managed to shoot one about lunch time.

Trees were bare of leaves, and no big trees anyway.

Roy went to get the truck, and 3 of us stayed behind.

Two German friends, a father and son.

Where our bull was it was totally void of any trees.

There were a few mopane trees with no leaves, scattered about.

Each of us had to find one about 8 inches in diameter to use as a sun shade!!

We were separated by about 100 meters or so.

By the time Roy turned up with the truck and water, Oscar, the father was about half dead!

Walter spent time wetting a cloth and wiping his head and face.

He kept saying “I am dying”

And we were telling not to die, as the ground was very rocky so we would not be able to bury him! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A similar thing happened to us one October in the Caprivi.

We came back to the Toyota after a long stalk, and paused for a quick lunch.

There were no trees of any size to be found anywhere.

The only ones in sight were bare, plus the majority of them had been flattened by elephants.

It was a wasteland.

We ate quickly, then gulped some water and stretched out on our backs for a nap in the only shade we could find - underneath the truck.

I told Vaughan his daily rates were too high.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
A similar thing happened to us one October in the Caprivi.

We came back to the Toyota after a long stalk, and paused for a quick lunch.

There were no trees of any size to be found anywhere.

The only ones in sight were bare, plus the majority of them had been flattened by elephants.

It was a wasteland.

We ate quickly, then gulped some water and stretched out on our backs for a nap in the only shade we could find - underneath the truck.

I told Vaughan his daily rates were too high.

Most women would pay higher daily rates for sun Ha Ha

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Was that the hunt were you passed out on the trail and had to be revived? rotflmo

Nope. That was hunting buffalo in the Caprivi in October. Heat exhaustion is no joke and it bit me good. My bad...

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely!! It's all we drank on the Ele hunt with Buzz. He didn't think the heat was that bad but it just about killed us on the longer days.

FIZZ

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Absolutely!! It's all we drank on the Ele hunt with Buzz. He didn't think the heat was that bad but it just about killed us on the longer days.

FIZZ

Caffeine in it... no thanks
Coffee in the morning Ok but caffeine throughout the day, I stay away from it

“ Hávamál”

one of us
posted Hide Post
You suffer a lot, then cowboy up, go home and want go back?? beats me why but I do..I get by just thinking about the tetsi in Tanzania!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You suffer a lot, then cowboy up, go home and want go back?? beats me why but I do..I get by just thinking about the tetsi in Tanzania!!

True.

Some of us had to put up with someone who gave the hippos a run for their money with all the audio he was producing while sleeping!

On one hunt I was asked which tent I want, I said the furthest one from camp.

It just so happens that that tent was right at the edge, and had a hippo path running next to it.

The hippos were actually rubbing against it, as they went in and out of the river at night!

The tent next to me had Ray.

At some stage at night I was not sure who was louder, the hippo bulls serenading their cows or Ray dreaming about Ashley Judd! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
It made it up to 47 C. (about 116 F) in Forestry area near Hwanke.
That's why the call October "Suicide Month"

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's why the call October "Suicide Month"

Yep tu2