Find
Notify
Tools

triple fuel costs in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jack steenson
posted
with all going on in Zim . Fuel tripling in price, the other day in a store a liter of milk was 150.00 U>S>!!! add the fuel costs, just levied and the surcharge on the buffalo, coupled with the decimation of the plains game in many areas how are these poor Safari operators even to calculate safari prices , make a profit and stay competative? Every day they are more up against it. My hat is off to them for always seeming to make it work.

Posts: 33 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does this "information" come from???

Fuel prices in Zimbabwe (diesel) have increased from $1.34 to $3.31. The $3.31 is in local "bond" notes or by electronic transfer, NOT US dollars. Local scrip trades unofficially at 3.5 to the US dollar so the increase is insignificant (if you have access to USD). I filled my tank on Sunday, no problem.

The litre of milk I bought for the office this morning was $2.79. Also in local, so it cost me US $0.80

Fake news helps nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by jack steenson:
with all going on in Zim . Fuel tripling in price, the other day in a store a liter of milk was 150.00 U>S>!!! add the fuel costs, just levied and the surcharge on the buffalo, coupled with the decimation of the plains game in many areas how are these poor Safari operators even to calculate safari prices , make a profit and stay competative? Every day they are more up against it. My hat is off to them for always seeming to make it work.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I filled my tank on Sunday, no problem.
Fake news helps nothing.

I have been in Zimbabwe in October. At all filling stations the longest queues I have ever seen. To fill up the tank without problems, that I call fake news. We landed in Harare, drove down to Chiredzi from there to the hunting area on the Limpopo, just north of Kruger. I didn’t see a single buffalo, just a few elephants however lots of goats, countless cattle with bells and donkeys. Waste of money, waste of time.

I’m addicted to chocolate. Ok, I didn’t expect finding swiss chocolate but at some shops there was no chocolate whatsoever. Just basic things. A couple of shops were well stocked, can’t remember the name.

At Harare airport I saw a lovely dress, wanted to buy it for my grandchild. Silly me, my dollars were in the suitcase. I thought I can pay with credit card. At the entire airport there are no credit card facilities, no ATM. Nothing, couldn’t even eat and drink ‘cause there was no cash on me.

When landing in Jo’burg and later in Cape Town I almost kissed the ground.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SUNSHINE

I am sorry about your trip to Zim- did you do a hunt report or contact the association . If not you should for the simple reason that you could spare other cites a similar experience.

Reputable operators have good areas and will always make a plan so that you have a god hunt. If they feel they are unable to they will let you know ahead of time so you are informed.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
SUNSHINE

I am sorry about your trip to Zim- did you do a hunt report or contact the association . If not you should for the simple reason that you could spare other cites a similar experience.

Reputable operators have good areas and will always make a plan so that you have a god hunt. If they feel they are unable to they will let you know ahead of time so you are informed.

Thank you Buzz.

That is the best advice there is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton: I am sorry about your trip to Zim- did you do a hunt report or contact the association . If not you should for the simple reason that you could spare other cites a similar experience.

Yep, I have reported the hunt. I was very shocked when I witnessed the PH throwing empty water bottles away, in the middle of the hunting area. He noticed my expression. "Don‘t worry, folks from Mozambique will gladly pick them up. They gonna use it for the storage of lala beer." One day around lunchtime the PH was drunk. Well, by then I was already used to a lot of awful things.

For May I have booked another buffalo hunt, this time the PH/HO has an excellent reputation...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbos always come up with a plan and make things work. That is just what they do. You can travel to Zimbabwe with confidence knowing you will be well looked after.
Just make sure you bring lots of cash in small denominations. It will make life easier and you will be very popular!

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine: You packed your dollars in your checked bag? No offense, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of while traveling in Africa. I have had my luggage opened at least twice in South Africa.

Who was the PH and outfitter on your lousy hunt?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Sunshine: You packed your dollars in your checked bag? No offense, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of while traveling in Africa. I have had my luggage opened at least twice in South Africa.

Who was the PH and outfitter on your lousy hunt?

Well, in the last almost 40 years I‘m constantly travelling in South Africa, nobody ever opened my luggage. At least I never found out, never 'lost' anything. Maybe I was just lucky. Next time I‘ll have the cash on me. Better safe than sorry... And I’m still sad that I couldn‘t purchase a lovely dress at that Harare airport batik shop.

I don‘t want to make the names public, it would only cause endless fightings.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
But you are doing us no favor as some of us could avoid it, but not knowing, it could be on you
That being said, I never understood people who say one thing and do another

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a fuel queue on Sunday, it's true. A few cars, took me probably 15 minutes. I live here (Zimbabwe), you don't, QED. Things change, and nowhere can they change as quickly as in Africa. Using your October trip - and yes, there was a lot of uncertainty at that time just bad luck - as a definitive standard is like saying you'd never get on a ship because the Titanic sank.All anyone contemplating coming to Zimbabwe has to do is get accurate information from sources like PHs - the rumour mill is bad for everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
quote:
I filled my tank on Sunday, no problem.
Fake news helps nothing.

I have been in Zimbabwe in October. At all filling stations the longest queues I have ever seen. To fill up the tank without problems, that I call fake news. We landed in Harare, drove down to Chiredzi from there to the hunting area on the Limpopo, just north of Kruger. I didn’t see a single buffalo, just a few elephants however lots of goats, countless cattle with bells and donkeys. Waste of money, waste of time.

I’m addicted to chocolate. Ok, I didn’t expect finding swiss chocolate but at some shops there was no chocolate whatsoever. Just basic things. A couple of shops were well stocked, can’t remember the name.

At Harare airport I saw a lovely dress, wanted to buy it for my grandchild. Silly me, my dollars were in the suitcase. I thought I can pay with credit card. At the entire airport there are no credit card facilities, no ATM. Nothing, couldn’t even eat and drink ‘cause there was no cash on me.

When landing in Jo’burg and later in Cape Town I almost kissed the ground.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine:
For May I have booked another buffalo hunt, this time the PH/HO has an excellent reputation...

Ok, I saw your post in the other thread about scrum-caps.

Yes, you will be in very good hands in May! Among the very best hands!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jack steenson
posted Hide Post
I must correct myself. the triple fuel hike is only on Zim "currency" not American dollars. they are expecting a severe dro9ught this year in the country in some places. These Zim PH's are amazing guys at their ability to role with the whims of government. If they say your safe and your hunt will be good then I'd go. I.ve been 10 times and it is a great place but every day a new challenge.

Posts: 33 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 17 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

According to my guys on the ground it is "pissing down" rain at the moment. 5-6 inches in the last few days. Let's not predict a drought just yet for '19 in Zim.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote