New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take my own guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m traveling to Zimbabwe next month with an overnight at the City Lodge in Johannesburg. I’m flying United Airlines starting in Atlanta, to Newark, then to S.A.

I flew to Zim like this last year but didn’t have any firearms and was able to pack everything in my carry on and my backpack. I gotta tell you, it was some easy traveling! I used the outfitter’s rifle which was perfectly adequate.

Anything to consider or be worried about should I decide to take my own guns this time?

Posts: 59 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
This short notice, I take it you do not have a pre approved SA 520 or a meet and greet service. And it is probably too late to have that service added.

So:

First off you should down load the SA 520 form and have it all filled out. Look on line to make sure you do it right. I like to do mine on the computer and then print it out.

Make about 3 or more copies of the SA 520 form and attach a copy of your 4457 to it.

City Lodge is a nice walk and good place to stay, great breakfast.

Walk back to the airport early (I like 2 1/2 to 3 hours) for check in at the terminal in the morning. This is where it comes down to who you have check you in, sometimes they weigh your ammo and other times they just look to make sure it is locked in a case. My last trip, I needed to take it out of my checked bag and weighted and after it was weighted my case was tagged to be shipped separate. So I could not place it back in my checked bag. Then, Get direction on where to take your firearms for inspection for your flight. It is a short walk, you just need to head in the right direction.

All the while have some bills available for tips (I call it bribes) if someone give directions and walked you to your inspection area.

I forgot that your carryon bag on South African Air has an 18 pound limit, and I have had my bags weighed 3 out of 4 times that I have flown with SA going over. Coming back has never been an issue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1561 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
You did it right the first time.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a hunt with Adam Clements. For multiple reasons, I've always brought my own rifles. We've all noticed the increasing red tape associated with bringing our rifles. While hunting with Adam I checked out his "camp rifles". I expected to find a beaten up rifle but was surprised that he had two .375s and two .300 WM's, all of them excellent. On my next trip I will strongly consider leaving my rifles behind. If anyone is interested in doing this I would recommend that they check with their PH as to what he has in camp.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take great pride in my rifles and own them so that I can use them. If I can't shoot my rifle, I ain't going.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I make it an absolute rule to never, ever, pay a bribe in Africa!

My PH arranges for all the necessary documents, a representative meets us by immigration, and takes care of everything!

Once you open the door to bribes, you create more problems for future hunters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66723 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
I've done it both ways. Definitely easier traveling without guns. I didn't have any problems with the camp guns the first two times.

The last time I used a camp rifle it was fitted with a suppressor. That did cause a problem with balance for me. It took me longer to get steady on the sticks with the heavy muzzle.

I believe that I'll be using my own rifles from now on.

Posts: 383 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you still have the option to check the guns through to your destination and avoid SAP hassle? Of course bigger odds on theft, while they lay in the airport all night.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think that it still might be possible to add a meet and greet, but maybe not the pre-approved SAPS rifle permit. Always nice to have assistance in getting through the process, if possible. I recall flying to the eastern cape from Joburg one morning and I had a meet and greet to assist. Another couple was doing it on their own and had some major problems with their flight. After taking care of me, my meet and greet was asked by the couple to assist them. Their booking agent had put them on a regional airlines that did not accept rifles. I can't recall the airlines at this moment, but it was not SAA's regional flight. He was able to get them ticketed on my flight, but they had to pay for two new tickets. And, they paid him for his help as well. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arniet:
Do you still have the option to check the guns through to your destination and avoid SAP hassle? Of course bigger odds on theft, while they lay in the airport all night.

I don’t think you can do that through South Africa!

If you fly Emirates, through Dubai, you don’t see your rifles until you arrive at your destination!

This is a major plus in traveling with guns.

Posts: 66723 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think the decision to take your own rifle or use a camp rifle depends a lot on the country you are hunting. For example, in my opinion, taking your own rifle to Cameroon or Australia is just not worth the hassle. On the other hand, taking your own rifle to Zimbabwe is a piece of cake. This is an area where a good booking agent or travel agent can be a huge help.

Mike

Posts: 21076 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Mike: I must humbly disagree with your statement about your hunting destination determining whether to use camp rifles or not. My biggest problem when checking my own rifles has been with the US CBP. I’ve had CBP agents tell me that Leupold scopes are made in Germany and need a Form 4570. Luckily they’re stamped “Made in the USA” right on the tube of the scope. I’ve also had an agent tell me I needed a 4570 form on a non- serial numbered range finder. The average CBP Agent has a room temperature IQ and delights in hassling law abiding hunters like you and me. After my first two African hunts I went with the first rate camp rifles supplied by my PH. In my last three trips I’ve used very accurate camp rifles topped by Leupold scopes. My PH’s silenced Savage .308 is like shooting a match air rifle- quiet and minimal recoil. I also don’t check baggage- I use a single carryon and waltz through Customs without the circle jerk of Baggage Claim.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm not going without my own rifles, nor my own ammo I've manufactured myself. When I can no longer take my rifles, I'm done with Safaris. It's that important to me. I get it some folks don't have the same attachment to using their rifles. My son is one of those types.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Strange this.

We go to places where we dive.

There are all sorts of equipment one can hire at the destination.

Apart from the tanks, I take all my own equipment.

Picking what I know will fit my purpose is half the fun.

I take underwater cameras, and all sorts of things that make my trip more enjoyable.

And there is no question that I tend to have more fun than a lot of people on the resorts.

Same thing when we go hiking, or skiing.

The hunting is even more involved for me.

I have built my own rifles, and noting made can even come close to them, for me.

I spend time preparing everything, it gives me great pleasure, and this adds to the pleasure I get when hunting.

At the camp, I get people laugh at me, as I absolutely refuse to let anyone touch my rifle.

At a new camp we just arrived at, first day after the hunt in the evening, I could not see my rifle.

I asked where it was.

Pierre said someone took it to clean it!!??

I said he better bring it back RIGHT NOW.

Or his wife will be looking for another husband.

Everyone laughed, and understood what I meant.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Adapted from the Marine Corps creed to suit the battle of dangerous game hunting:

“This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straight at my prey who is trying to kill me. I must shoot my prey before he kills me.

My rifle and I know that what counts in this battle is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our shots, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count.

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel.

I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the masters of our destiny. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, my rifle and I!”

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Adapted from the Marine Corps creed to suit the battle of dangerous game hunting:

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straight at my prey who is trying to kill me. I must shoot my prey before he kills me.

My rifle and I know that what counts in this battle is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our shots, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count.

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel.

I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the masters of our destiny. We are the saviors of my life.

LOL.

Damn right!

clap

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think the decision to take your own rifle or use a camp rifle depends a lot on the country you are hunting. For example, in my opinion, taking your own rifle to Cameroon or Australia is just not worth the hassle. On the other hand, taking your own rifle to Zimbabwe is a piece of cake. This is an area where a good booking agent or travel agent can be a huge help.

FYI, I have taken rifles and ammo to Australia 4 years in a row. Absolutely no problems.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There are certain things a man does NOT share.

In my loading and shooting room, I have 4 computers.

Anyone needs to access the Internet is always welcome to use one of 3.

The 4th one is my own, with my work on it.

My chair has a sign saying IF YOU SIT HERE YOU WILL BE SHOT!

One day I went up to get something, and coming down found Walter sitting my chair with his fingers hovering the keyboard.

He said “I will use this computer. And you are NOT going to shoot me!”

I had an almost empty can of Pepsi on the desk.

I got an air pistol, and loaded it.

Everyone was laughing, including Walter.

He said “That pistol is not loaded”

I shot the can!

Walter flew out of the chair.

He never sat there again!

An old Bedouin man was here, he said in Arabic “German’s cannot understand it when Arabs say they will do something!”

More laughter!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people just can not understand the HOUSE rules.

My house my rules.

Your house your rules.

Posts: 19308 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Anymore, I enjoy travel lot more with just carry on and using camp rifles
With everything going on and al the bureaucracy running rampant , life is too short to have them hassle me
I get to use my guns here at home aplenty and that’s good enough

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you choose the right country to hunt, and choose the right airline s to travel on, you have problems.

I am so glad I do not have to deal with South African bullshit any more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Young hooked us up with a meet and greet in RSA that was fabulous....

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s a cost/benefit analysis.

How much more enjoyment do you get using your own guns than a generic gun (no matter how nice or functional)?

My trip to Australia essentially added a day because we had to be in town for a business day to deal with the rifle paperwork on leaving. I shot both my Banteng and water Buffalo with my double.

I can see the headaches and the costs getting high enough that it’s not worth it, even if it’s possible.

I also understand there are a few destinations that you plain cannot bring a sporting arm in.

If it gets to too much hassle but I still want to do the hunt, I will use the outfitter’s guns. I’ve done that with birds.

I’d say Australia’s rules weren’t that bad- no hitting up for bribes or unreasonable fees… just time consuming.

Cameroon… time consuming and corruption. If I go back there, I will really have to think on it.

But if the gun rental costs about the same as bringing my own, then I’m bringing my own, even if it’s some airport hassle.

$50 a day for rental plus $10/round for ammo? I get the prices are more there, but I’m not buying the damn thing…

Posts: 10477 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with my firearms and ammunition is a great part of the fun. I use meet and greet to speed the firearms process up. If I have to rent a firearm, I'm not going.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1093 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I never hesitated in taking my rifles on safari's. But having all paper work done correctly and using a tuff pak for transport.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Overall, I have no attachment to my rifles I guess. I love use them but don’t lose sleep when I use someone else’s. It is a tool; no more, no less. I don’t include them in my pics. I absolutely have a favorite and it has travelled many places but as times change and things get harder there will be trips that rifle stays home. It is just not worth the hassle to me. I was without my rifle on my first safari for 9 out of 10 days. My bags and rifle showed up on Day 9. I shot some really good trophies on that trip with the camp rifle. It is just not a big deal to me like it is to others.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifles and ammunition are part of the experience. They are made to fit me. The ammo has been tested. The scopes and mounts work. If I can’t bring my own I chose not to go.
4wd

Posts: 656 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
My rifles and ammunition are part of the experience. They are made to fit me. The ammo has been tested. The scopes and mounts work. If I can’t bring my own I chose not to go.
4wd

Exactly! +1

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think it is obvious that certain countries make it more difficult.

Avoid them.

Once they see they are loosing clients, things might change.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Avoid them.

RSA has been pulling this bribery/ paperwork shit for donkey years and nothing has changed, nor will it ever…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13100 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I'm not going without my own rifles, nor my own ammo I've manufactured myself. When I can no longer take my rifles, I'm done with Safaris. It's that important to me. I get it some folks don't have the same attachment to using their rifles. My son is one of those types.

tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

LOL.

Damn right!

clap

.....................................Ill second the above reply! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Avoid them.

RSA has been pulling this bribery/ paperwork shit for donkey years and nothing has changed, nor will it ever…

Exactly why you are not likely to see me hunt there!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There's another Marine Corp mantra that I like.

"This is my rifle [said while putting an M14 at port arms].

This is my gun [said while clutching one's crotch].

This is for fighting [said while pushing an M14 forward from port arms].

This is for fun [said while once again clutching one's crotch]."

Camp rifles as dangerous game rifles might be for fun, or might not.

But there's no doubt about my rifle.

My rifle is for fighting. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13313 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually threads about camp rifles say they are also usually good and I ve used them also..375, .375 NE, .470 NE however on my first trip to Zimbabwe I was lent a .416 Dakota from a well respected, well known, and great hunter. We went to the range to check it, pulled the trigger, it kicked me like a mule and the bullet never exited. To my eyes the chamber looked expanded but fortunately never exploded. It was repaired but I never got the story on why the bullet jammed.

The point is that there maybe a problem with a camp rifle or the hand loaded cartridges may not be correctly loaded. Since then I ve always brought my own well and tried and practiced PG and DG rifle to Namibia, SA, Zimbabwe and never had a problem with paper work except a minor one with Delta wanting to see my SA permit. Once did have to give a gratuity to departure inspectors in Bulawayo.

However, I ve always used Gracy Travel for SA permit through JHB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's still time to set up a meet and greet and SAP. I'm going to Zim in two weeks and was just notified by my travel agents to complete the info they need for that paperwork.

I booked the trip six months ago, why they waited this long is another story. They did give me impression they could still get it done. No problem.

I almost always take my rifles. It is important to me for the same reasons others have mentioned. I've had more hassle in the US than anywhere else. UK, Australia, et al were easier.

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add to Bwana338 post above, based on multiple trips thru Joburg since 1996:

1)Fill out and make copies of SAP 520 use BLACK ink and do NOT sign it. Online instructions will detail all of this; Be sure to add a day or two AFTER your return flight to USA leaves Joburg just in case of delay and be SURE to keep the SAP Temporary Firearm Permit in case flights are delayed and you have to stay overnight in Joburg on return;

2)Make a copy of your 4457 and attach; add another to your gun case and keep a third;

3)Make a copy of your passport photo/data page and attach it. Keep two more copies with your documents;

4)Make a copy of your hunt invitation letter from the Zim outfitter and attach it. Keep another in your docs;

5)Make a copy of your airline tickets and attach it. Make another for your docs.

It's basically cookbook. Follow the recipe, be pleasant and you'll likely find things work out.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote