New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my new 7mm Mag today....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trust me, it has an africa tie in. Last summer, the DAY BEFORE WE LEFT for Matetsi, I was casing the guns to go. Of course, as I took the guns out of the safe, I worked the action. The 7mm I was taking as a spare...the bolt handle came off in my hand.

This is at 4pm, 20 hours before we leave for the airport. Called Mark Young, called Gracy, no way to sub in a new gun. And then we were worried if I DIDN'T take it, I'd have trouble because I didn't have a gun with me that was all over the paperwork.

Long story short, I hauled the broken SOB all the way there and all the way home.

Gave it to a gunsmith to rebuild - and rebarrel and generally tune up, and work up a load for it.

Got it back and it's shooting 3/4" at 100, 3 shot groups. One ragged hole. All's well that ends well, I guess. Hopefully it will meet up with a mule deer this fall...

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 Mag is a great caliber...I've used it all over.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jeff, sorry for your trouble, but glad everything has worked out.

Of course, you know you can’t tell that story without letting us know the make and model of the rifle!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13364 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Good to hear. I remember that call well. You were a little worked up Wink

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12852 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, you know you can’t tell that story without letting us know the make and model of the rifle!

+1 Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Is it a Remington?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12513 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a Remington?

They have been known for broken bolt handles in the past.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to guess, but Remington would be my guess, too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13364 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - yeah, I was a little excitable that day. What a catastrophe.

But this is why you have Mark in your corner on a hunt. Within 15 minutes of it happening I had talked to him and two people at Gracy. Customer service at its finest.

Make and Model? Sure. It was a 20 year old remington that I had a guy rebuild from a 300 Win mag to a 7mm. He put some aftermarket bolt in it. it shot OK - it was a nice rifle for a long time. But it was not - repeat NOT - a remington bolt that broke. I've shot remingtons all my life - still have the model 788 I bought when i was about 14.

The new rifle is simply grand. The guy that built it put a little longer barrel on it and he added a brake - wasn't my first choice, he suggested it - and now it shoots like a .22.

I've shot something close to 200,000 shotgun shells shooting trap and skeet, so I simply CANNOT squeeze a trigger...but even I can get under an inch with this. Cool

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

Always nice to hear a love story
come true.

Best wishes with getting it bloody
soon.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5937 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 7mm magnums. A Wby Mk V in 7mm wby magnum, and a browning A-bolt in 7mm rem mag. Not sure which one I like best. It is sometimes hard to choose. Smiler

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote