Notify
Tools

What would you pick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Plains game preferences?

We are talking Africa, we are talking non DG, we are talking bush, valley or veld, whatever you wish, leaving out the exotics for now.

Following four groups of animal and you are allowed one per group and lets assume trophy quality is good on all of them. What 4 would you choose?

A/ kudu, waterbuck, eland, Nyala

B/ Zebra, wildi (either), oryx, hartebeest

C/ impala, springbok, blesbok, grey diiker

D/ warthog, jackal, baboon,

Thought that this may interest the package deal PHs and what they are offering as well as be of general interest.

Ps feel free to comment, add / mix, whatever. No hard fast rules.

Me - I would go eland, blue wildi, springbok and pig!

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why stick with four?

I will shoot anything on license!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Some people have budgets Wink

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I would go with:

Eland, Waterbuck, Warthog and Bushbuck

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Facebook - Mike Taylor Sporting
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 679 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, you should shoot anything you haven't shot before. But if you've never taken any, here would be my choices:

A. Kudu -- it's the quintessential African trophy and even a skull mount is beautiful.

B. Black wildebeest is the most limited, so I would go for it if available. But all are great trophies. If you have a place for it and yearn for a zebra rug, then you might swap.

C. Springbok has the prettiest coloration; Impala has the nicest horns; blesbok is usually a little more challenging to hunt. So take your pick according to your priorities.

D. Warthog is a "trophy". But baboons make entertaining targets and most places will allow you to shoot unlimited baboons if you're paying trophy fees on a reasonable number of other animals. A jackal is just an underweight coyote.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sable and Oryx. Kudu next up.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider that Nyala is not as common as the other animals and can be more difficult to get than the others. Not in harder to hunt, just less of them around

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the OP, to answer your question, I'd pick A.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
To the OP, to answer your question, I'd pick A.

Same here.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been skunked three times on eland so:

Eland - I've got kudu and Nyala and don't care for waterbuck
Zebra - I have blue and black wildebeest, a bunch of Oryx and don't care for hartebeest.
Impala - Still need a good one,
Warthog - Have all three but I like warthogs

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were going with these options I would pick group A. Best of the displayable trophies, for me anyway, in the options given. I would also like a Black Wildebeest which I would try to trade for or add to.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go with A but D makes a good budget hunt and if you can substitute hyena for jackal that would make it an even more desirable option,IMO.Option A would provide the tastiest meat.I shot one Zebra and for some reason don't want to shoot another-but hunting them was good in the hills of Makuti..

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on 40 years in the business off and on and mostly on, A will be your answer if for no other reason than the Kudu is the Holy Grail of African Plains game, followed by the Gemsbok, a distant second..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the replies from Saeed, Charlie64, and Stonecreek.

Just getting to Africa is a big cost and undertaking, so I feel that the more animals I take on any trip reduces the travel pain and cost per animal. But you also have to leave a few animals so you'll have a reason to come back.

Then, like Charlie64's second post, many of us have limited budgets for each trip and we have to draw the line on the number of animals that we shoot on each trip. On my first African hunt I had 5 animals that I wanted to shoot. After my 9th animal I finally told my PH "no more." Then on the last day we spotted a Red Hartebeest that my PH said was really good and that I should shoot it. I stuck to my decision and didn't shoot it, but it was one of the top animals on my list on my next trip.

And finally, like Stonecreek posted, with my limited budget and limited wall space, I decided to only hunt animals that I hadn't shot before. I have been pretty good on this decision, however I have "upgraded" several animals.

So to answer the original question, on my first African hunt I went with a Kudu, Waterbuck, Impala, and Blue Wildebeest, then added a Gemsbok, Blesbok, and a Limpopo Bushbuck.

In subsequent hunts, I completed Charlie64's list plus a few more. Smiler

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The first Plains Game I took were Kudu,Gemsbok,Black Wildebeest,Zebra and Impala. As long as you can add animals or substitute them it doesn't really matter?

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selection A

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Plains game preferences?

A/ Lord Derby Eland or Mountain Nyala

B/ Coke or Swayne hartebeest

C/ Mountain or Bohor Reedbuck

D/ Giant forest hog

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A. tu2 and A. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Budget minded always (as I do not have great money} I would pick Kudu ,Gemsbok ,impala ,Baboon add on a warthog if possible. Save the boons and pigs till last you may can shoot a few of each. Best of luck and most important Enjoy the adventure. As a side note many of us thought we might get 3 or 4 heads on the first trip and ended up taking over 10 in 5 days.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I would pick kudu, zebra, impala and warthog. But I am always open to whatever Africa offers.

Safe travels...…...LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every first time safari hunter will want "A" if it's in his budget.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where.

Of group A, the Nyala is the one I don’t have a good example of- but both Kudu and Eland hunting is my favorite typical plains game. I’d probably do Eland as Kudu hunting is a lot like elk hunting to me at this point.

Group B, if it’s a wild hunt, I love hunting waterbuck- and you run into unusual animals (lion, rhino, elephant etc) in the same habitat that would be my personal option. Wildebeest are fun to hunt, but not much of a trophy. For a newbie, the oryx (i’m Assuming it’s gemsbok from context here) is the most impressive on the wall per dollar of these. Zebra are a fun hunt as well, if wild, and iconic, but I’ve shot so many of them as bait that it’s not really on my radar anymore unless it’s an imperial zebra- which isn’t huntable anymore. IMO, the TF on zebra is too high for what they are, generally. If it was a first time hunt on a game ranch, zebra would probably get the nod, but gemsbok are right there, AFAIC.

Group C, again if it’s wild hunting, it’s duiker or impala. Impala is the classic African animal, so that’s also the first time on a budget choice. The duiker is probably the more difficult hunt though.

Group D. Warthog. Jackals are an easy baited hunt. Baboon? Meh. I have my war with them, but they started it. Not much of a trophy IMO, and while they can be a fun hunt, both baboon and jackal are varmints in SA ranch country,(where this looks like it is going) and unless you want it on the wall, should be free targets of opportunity.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that you could add a Kudu to "C" and still be under the other packages as far as price. I had that very same package (C+Kudu) and it was under $11,000.00 including airfare for two, 9 days, taxidermy (Head & Shoulders) and Shipping.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O'k, I think I understand now. It's kudu, oryx, impala and warthog. I don't have a hartebeest, dang it!

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A, and then pay trophy fees for the rest!

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
A for me. I've taken a kudu, but just decent, and none of the others. So for me, that's the ticket. I would sure want to add impala and warthog though, since even after two safaris the hunting gods shined dimly on me for those and I've taken neither, despite their prevalence.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See there, I told you so, the Kudu is the Holy grail, and rightly so, all else is twiddle! rotflmo

IMO, speaking only for myself and Ive shot many of all the PG animals, I would always pick Kudu Gemsbok, Nyala, Eland..but push comes to shove Im a dyed in the wool buffalo hunter, I love to hunt buffalo..

Sable would be first for me, but they just got to expensive to shoot these days and Ive shot my shard of them early on... I have a film I took of probably 300 to 400 sable in an open plain of fresh grass, awesome sight.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
kudu, blue wildebeest, springbok, warthog

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 632 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
To be honest if I am going all the way to Africa I would add a plains game hunt to the tail end of a DG hunt rather than go just for a plains game hunt.

It just seems a waste otherwise.

On my upcoming Leopard/Buffalo hunt I also have Kudu, Hyena, Impala, Waterbuck, Zebra on the menu either as bait or after the 14 day hunt where I convert to a plains game hunt for a few days while waiting for a girlfriend to join me at Victoria Falls.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Kudu, zebra, springbok and baboon.

I have never killed an eland. But I know I like hunting the other four.

Baboons and Zebras are the smartest game in Africa.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
They are all desirable, but I wouldn't go to Africa, if Buffalo is not on license.
......…......…………. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Some people have budgets Wink

Yup

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:
Plains game preferences?

We are talking Africa, we are talking non DG, we are talking bush, valley or veld, whatever you wish, leaving out the exotics for now.

Following four groups of animal and you are allowed one per group and lets assume trophy quality is good on all of them. What 4 would you choose?

A/ kudu, waterbuck, eland, Nyala

B/ Zebra, wildi (either), oryx, hartebeest

C/ impala, springbok, blesbok, grey diiker

D/ warthog, jackal, baboon,

Thought that this may interest the package deal PHs and what they are offering as well as be of general interest.

Ps feel free to comment, add / mix, whatever. No hard fast rules.

Cheers

I would like to have a Waterbuck, a PUKU, another Zebra, I have two zebra rugs, but would like another for a shoulder mount. I also have an Eland but would like a better one.
However I would likely take just about anything that I don't have if a good one was available.
All this is simply a dream, because at age 83 I doubt I'll ever get back to Africa. If I could I would take just about anything on the menu, including as many buffalo bulls as I could find.
……………………………………………… But alas AIN"t gonna happen! CRYBABY old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote