Find
Notify
Tools

Travel Tip
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

A travel tip (or just more evidence of my anal-retentive nature Wink).

I make a folder with copies of important documents and put it in my carry-on bag. Here is what I include.

Calender
Airline Itinerary
Airlines' and TSA Rules re: Traveling with Firearms
Hotel Reservation Confirmation
One page Itinerary with all flight schedules, hotel and safari contact information (this is the same one I give to my relatives and I put a copy in each piece of luggage as well as in the itinerary tag on my luggage)
Safari Contract
Trophy Fees Schedule
Trophy Shipping Instructions
Small Map of Zimbabwe
Copies of:
Drivers License
Form 4457
Passport
Medjet Card
Insurance Card (with contact phone # - Not the 1-800 #)
Supplemental Insurance Policy (with contact phone # - Not the 1-800 #)
Print out of picture and description of luggage (take an extra Itinerary and picture of luggage and leave with Louis at Afton House so he can track down your bags if they go missing)
Inventory of luggage
Aircraft Seating Charts (for my wife).

In the pockets of the folder, I carry an extra copy of the Airlines' and TSA Rules re: Traveling with Firearms so I can give a copy to the Ticket Agent if I have problems. I also have a couple of envelopes to keep all my receipts and boarding passes. I also have my three copies of the ZIM firearms permit application and a complete set of documents for the RSA firearms permit (just in case something goes haywire and Optima doesn't have my permit when I arrive).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good tip Terry. I do pretty much the same thing. I start a file as soon as I decide to contact an outfitter and book a trip. My current file contains everything that has transpired between me and the outfitter, etc. over the past eighteen months. Before I leave for TZN, I will "trim the fat" from the folder and take the nuts and bolts with me as well as leave a copy of everything with my wife. I would hope that everyone does this in some fashion or another.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry:

Anal...Yes, but quite thorough.

I have an Orvis travel blazer with a deep zippered pocket. Everything goes in it, and so far, everything has stayed where it needed to be.

Seat assignment for your wife? Mine wouldn't wait. She would be running to the life insurance carrier as soon as news of the crash broke. Big Grin

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, my rookie hunt is coming up "soon," in relative terms, so I for one appreciate this particular tip. Thanks, Terry.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I had a contract once. I kept it in the glove box of the Cruiser, in case we ran out of T-paper. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19295 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seat assignment for your wife? Mine wouldn't wait. She would be running to the life insurance carrier as soon as news of the crash broke.

Funny Big Grin

I do it for a different reason. My wife travels with me and she is always saying, "Where are our seats on our flight to Harare, where are our seats on our return flight?" So, I just print out seating charts and mark the location of our seats for her.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
Just to add to your list, it is also a good idea to leave copies of your passport and travel insurance with relatives/friends in the US aswell, just in case!

Craig.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be a tad more anal than even T. First I list a trusted next door neighbor on all insurance forms as a second contact person in the event of an emergency or if I must contact someone at home for imfo I misplaced from my set of imfo. Then I buy a few extras calling cards in 45 minute denominations clipping them to the extra set of luggage pictures/med. insurance/evacuation ins./etc. giving this extra folder to the next door neighbor at home is another form of insurance in the event my wife is away on business for a day or two while I'm in Africa warding of the "DG Beasts".
I actually needed to call them once from Harhare because my carryon was stolen while I was using the crapper in the airport. Fortunately all the imfo I needed was supplied by them over the phone in less than an hour. Coupled with a trip to a local shopping center I was back in the black in short order. Wyn

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're no more AR than the rest of us, just a wise and safe thing to do. Mine's all in a white binder with index and tabbed sections for easy access.