TTHA files TRO against SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted
So now we know why SCI wanted to buy TTHA:

Lawsuit alleges thief of membership data

From TTHA

The Texas Trophy Hunters Association received a temporary restraining order against two rival groups, charging that Safari Club International stole its proprietary membership list and provided it to Buckmasters to solicit new members.

The Texas Trophy Hunters Association charges that Safari Club International gained access to TTHA’s confidential membership list during acquisition negotiations with TTHA and violated confidentiality agreements by providing the list to Buckmasters. The TRO asks a court in Bexar County to order the two groups to immediately stop using TTHA’s confidential membership list.

“What happened here is no different than inviting someone to be a guest in your home, only to have them steal your property in the middle of the night. Safari Club International said it wanted to forge a business relationship. Instead, they just wanted to surreptitiously gain access to a competitor’s most valuable asset,” said TTHA’s attorney Regan Marble of the San Antonio office of Jackson Walker.

Safari Club International approached TTHA in 2019 and sought to begin negotiations to acquire the organization as part of an effort to expand its Texas presence. TTHA provided the membership list after both parties specifically agreed that confidential information revealed in the negotiations would not be disclosed to third parties. Shortly after the negotiations broke down, TTHA discovered that its members were receiving solicitations from Buckmasters.

Based in San Antonio, TTHA is a member-based organization dedicated to promoting the sport, science and heritage of hunting. The group produces the “Hunters Extravaganza,” known as the “granddaddy” of consumer hunting shows and publishes “The Journal of the Texas Trophy Hunters.”

This is not Buckmasters’ first controversy regarding improper membership outreach. In 2017, Buckmasters was sued by the Alabama Attorney General over allegations it had signed up members without authorization. The 10-count Deceptive Trade Practices Act lawsuit was later settled.

“TTHA entered into discussions in good faith,” said Mr. Marble. “Luckily for TTHA members, the true nature of SCI and Buckmasters leaders was revealed before this acquisition took place. They cannot be allowed to continue to engage in these types of dishonorable practices.”

Posts: 749 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Gee, should I join an organization so insecure about its membership - indeed, so insecure about its basic value as an organization - that it is engaging in litigation to keep its members from being solicited by other organizations?

No, I don't think so.

In fact, I think if I were a member of such an organization that I would quit.

Right about now.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Wow! It seemed like it was a done deal back when it was announced.

I just don’t understand the Buckmasters connection.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Follow the money. SCI thought it could obtain an item of commercial value by swallowing TTHA and selling its membership list. Once again,SCI shows it’s true colors. thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
DSC used to send out a membership roster to all members, but I think that ended in 2015 after the Walter/Cecil debacle.

It’s sad, but makes sense. One anti could’ve joined for $125 and would have home and/or Business information to heckle members.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Follow the money. SCI thought it could obtain an item of commercial value by swallowing TTHA and selling its membership list. Once again,SCI shows it’s true colors. thumbdown

Nothing has changed.

What was supposed to be a conservation organization for hunters, has been turned in a selfish, stupid competition manager for unethical, selfish, idiots who want to be seen as hunters!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always about the money.....

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do most assume this lawsuit has any merits? Could it be true sure, I have no idea. It could also be a load of crap. I donate my hard earned money to many organizations. Any group is only as good as their dumbest member in the climate we live in today. SCI and NRA just had a major win against USFW. If we only highlight the negatives in groups or people for that matter we are doomed.
I could find fault with DSC, NRA, SCI and DU if I looked hard enough behind the curtains. That does not mean they don’t do some good.

Social media is the devils work...

Attack away I won’t play that game...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are always 3 sides to every story. Both sides and the truth.

I am disappointed as I thought this was a great move for SCI. I am told an SCI announcement will come out shortly. No clue what it will say.

Jeff is correct. Social media is a massive problem.

The recent win was huge. This is where SCI and similar organizations really have value. For all the stupid shit SCI does, they excel in the legal and governmental affairs area. This is probably the most important thing.

Finally, as others have said, I have had issues with Buckmasters myself. Others as well. North American Hunting Club comes to mind.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 749 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

The link does not work.

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customer lists are often accorded trade secret status, and lists of paying members of an organization aren't all that different. The organizations invest big money in building their membership rosters, and if they do keep them confidential and derive value from them being confidential, then they can likely form the legitimate basis of a lawsuit. Look at it this way: Do you think SCI would have been upset to give up its own membership list in exchange for nothing? On a side note, DSC doesn't really protect its membership list at all, but it's always been less of a business than SCI is.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Customer lists are often accorded trade secret status, and lists of paying members of an organization aren't all that different. The organizations invest big money in building their membership rosters, and if they do keep them confidential and derive value from them being confidential, then they can likely form the legitimate basis of a lawsuit. Look at it this way: Do you think SCI would have been upset to give up its own membership list in exchange for nothing? On a side note, DSC doesn't really protect its membership list at all, but it's always been less of a business than SCI is.

Sandy,

You make a very good point. In a former life, I was an intermediary in M&A transactions. The customer list was proprietary and protected by and Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) or a few different iterations of such. Basically, it’s a written contract entered into when different parties want to do business and share information, but that information is to be held in confidence during the pendency of whatever transaction may have been contemplated.

This seems to have breached those terms, assuming there was such a contract. If there wasn’t, then I sure hope the Jackson Walker attorney wasn’t involved from the start, as he will have serious issues.

Customer lists are almost like trade secrets. Do I like that my information has been shared by different organizations (DSC included) I’ve joined, not at all. I get cool emails from outfitters and manufacturers, no longer that Blair that scammed the $70k.

However, the worst may be the State Bar of Texas, but we pretty much have to publish a lot of information and people use SEO or something to find people.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gee, should I join an organization so insecure about its membership - indeed, so insecure about its basic value as an organization - that it is engaging in litigation to keep its members from being solicited by other organizations?

No, I don't think so.

In fact, I think if I were a member of such an organization that I would quit.

Right about now.

Mike

Aren't you a lawyer? No insult intended, and apologies in advance if my wires are crossed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:

Absolutely correct!!

In my biz...your "client / contact" list is everything, and its mine! I do 99% of my "solicitation" via my weekly email blast to over 71,000 loyal subscribers. To put that in perspective...SCI's email distribution list is roughly 60,000. I've spent 20+ years gaining that following, and its easily my largest asset. I've been offered lots of money just for the list on a couple of occasions...so clearly it has value, and its something I've spent 2 decades building. Not to mention a lot of time, effort and money!

I know nothing about the real "facts" of this issue, so I am not picking sides. But just assuming the accusations for a minute are correct...I can't see for a second how it wouldn't be a major legal issue for SCI? Not to mention...a pretty under-handed thing to do?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
SCI management doing what they best at.

Being STUPID!

SAN ANTONIO, June 17, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- One of the oldest and most-respected hunting advocacy groups in Texas – the Texas Trophy Hunters Association – has filed for a temporary restraining order against two rival groups, charging that Safari Club International stole its proprietary membership list and provided it to Buckmasters to solicit new members.

The Texas Trophy Hunters Association charges that Safari Club International gained access to TTHA's confidential membership list during acquisition negotiations with TTHA and violated confidentiality agreements by providing the list to Buckmasters. The TRO asks a court in Bexar County to order the two groups to immediately stop using TTHA's confidential membership list.

"What happened here is no different than inviting someone to be a guest in your home, only to have them steal your property in the middle of the night. Safari Club International said it wanted to forge a business relationship. Instead, they just wanted to surreptitiously gain access to a competitor's most valuable asset," said TTHA's attorney Reagan Marble of the San Antonio office of Jackson Walker.

Safari Club International approached TTHA in 2019 and sought to begin negotiations to acquire the organization as part of an effort to expand its Texas presence. TTHA provided the membership list after both parties specifically agreed that confidential information revealed in the negotiations would not be disclosed to third parties. Shortly after the negotiations broke down, TTHA discovered that its members were receiving solicitations from Buckmasters.

Based in San Antonio, TTHA is a member-based organization dedicated to promoting the sport, science and heritage of hunting. The group produces the "Hunters Extravaganza," known as the "granddaddy" of consumer hunting shows and publishes "The Journal of the Texas Trophy Hunters."

This is not Buckmasters' first controversy regarding improper membership outreach. In 2017, Buckmasters was sued by the Alabama Attorney General over allegations it had signed up members without authorization. The 10-count Deceptive Trade Practices Act lawsuit was later settled.

"TTHA entered into discussions in good faith," said Mr. Marble. "Luckily for TTHA members, the true nature of SCI and Buckmasters leaders was revealed before this acquisition took place. They cannot be allowed to continue to engage in these types of dishonorable practices."

Founded in 1975, Texas Trophy Hunters Association® is the largest and most well-established hunting and outdoor association in Texas. TTHA strives to unite all segments of the hunting community for the dissemination of information and joining of energies to promote and protect our hunting heritage.