Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping issues
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Anyone having issues with getting trophies out of Namibia/South Africa? I hunted Namibia last year and my trophies were picked up by the shipping company on July 23rd but I haven't received any word on when they'll ship. Could this somehow be Covid related?

In all my other trips, once the trophies made it to the shipping company the process went fairly quickly as the shipping company was always eager to get the money. The shipping company is Pronto Global Freight and I've emailed them twice since they received the shipment with no replies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Pronto has shipped for me in the past and they currently have my trophies from last year. Given everything that is going on in the world, I haven’t thought too much about it. Having been in the Pronto facility, I trust they are safe. I will reach out to Peter and see if he responds.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
I currently have trophies with Namibia Safari Services in Windhoek. They are not currently shipping to the West coast and they have no estimate when they will be able to begin shipping again. I am waiting to pay the shipping charges until they begin to ship.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I had trophies from my 2019 SA safari delivered to the African shipping agent on July 13, leave Johannesburg on July 26 on Turkish Airlines, then they sat in Istanbul for 5 days because the flight to Houston was cancelled, then it took a few days to get them to DFW where they waited a week to clear customs. 4 days later, they arrived in Oklahoma. All in all 32 days from when the shipping agent got them in Johannesburg. So, though there were some delays getting flights, it wasn’t too bad. (But it seemed like a long time while I was waiting.)

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
According to Namibia Safari Services there are no flights available to ship directly out of Windhoek. They stated that they could transport the trophies by truck to JoBerg but there was no guarantee that once there they would be able to get them on a flight to Seattle. We opted to wait.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

It's funny, I posted this yesterday afternoon and I received my first response from the shipping company 12 hours later.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
what are you guys seeing in regard to shipping costs now vs other past shipments?

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 867 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Frank: I too have used Pronto on my 2015 and 2017 Namibian safaris and they were always responsive and reasonably priced. Of course, that was before all this Pandemic BS, which has been compounded by SAA’s financial predicament and the many cancelled flights by other carriers. I got smart in 2019 and just took lots of trophy pictures and didn’t have to pay for taxidermy and/ or shipping. Costco has an excellent photo service where they professionally enlarge prints and mount them on acrylic backing.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
Just spoke to TCI about the situation in Zim ( i know you were asking about Namibia) and everything is at a standstill. Very few flights out of Johannesburg and what space is available comes at a greatly inflated price. No telling when our 2019 trophies may get here, but they are safe with TCI and not much myself, or anyone else can do to change that.
I'm going to get hit with a taxidermy bill for 2017 and 2018 in the next 2 weeks, so a bit of repreve may not be a bad thing for the bank account. Big Grin

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
what are you guys seeing in regard to shipping costs now vs other past shipments?

I'm looking at a gemsbok shoulder mount, Steenbok shoulder mount, flatskins for a blue wildebeest, black wildebeest and springbok, Euromounts of another three gemsbok and four springbok.

Shipping, export docs, all the fees, etc. to San Francisco is $1,800

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
I paid about $2700 Johannesburg- Dallas for a 4’x4’x 32” crate weighing 220 lbs. (With 4 shoulder mounts- warthog, impala, blesbok, wildebeest, and a nyala wall pedestal mount+ back skins) On my 2017 Namibia safari, I had had everything dipped and packed, so I can’t really compare.

On a side note, I'm happy with the African Wildlife Artistry taxidermy, and it is on the walls here, less than 15 months after the safari, even with covid delays. A well known Denver taxidermist has had my Namibian trophies for 21 months now....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My crate just left SA for Houston. $1360

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
According to International Freight Systems in Seattle, the ONLY airline carrying trophies to US from Africa is TURKISH AIRLINE. Their flights are a hodge podge all over US and when they do arrive they are met with inexperienced Agriculture agents that need alot of hand holding for clearances....
Maybe you are lucky they are just sitting!!
Yes, the lure of cheap taxidermy in Africa is far offset by larger crates and more valuable cargo and excessive air freight bills!!
IFS could not comment on the 100% inspections by Agricultural in Atlanta. There have been no Delta- JNB flights since COVID started!!
Looks like it's gonna be a while yet??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a buddy in RSA summer of 2019 - July - and he still doesn't have his crate.

I was in Matetsi in June 2019 and my crate came home in October. I've had the buff and sable mounts since March....

dunno why Zim would be better than RSA.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Supposedly a crate is wheels' up for me right now from Lusaka.

We will see.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't think that I'm ever going to get my trophies out of Namibia.

I've already paid for everything but Turkish airlines has stopped flying out of Windhoek and until Lufthansa and Qatar start flying there, I won't know when I'll get my shipment.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a shipment stuck in Johannesburg waiting for the same...

But looks like things will open soon. The Africans have had enough of the lockdown.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just received my shipment from my February '20 safari in Uganda. Flew Turkish Airlines. Around $2,500 for three buffalo, a warthog and a Guenther Dik Dik...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just received my shipment from my February '20 safari in Uganda. Flew Turkish Airlines. Around $2,500 for three buffalo, a warthog and a Guenther Dik Dik...

That's good news Russ. I hope my 2021 Uganda safari ships out that fast. I am still waiting on my full bag 2019 Tanzania safari to ship. So far trophies are not shipping out of Arusha.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's good news Russ. I hope my 2021 Uganda safari ships out that fast. I am still waiting on my full bag 2019 Tanzania safari to ship. So far trophies are not shipping out of Arusha.

Hate to hear your Tanz trophies are still stuffed up buddy... I know you have a CITIES leopard permit and the clock is ticking. So far, Turkish has been pretty good to me. Hasheem got my trophies out of Masailand pretty quickly using TA and so did Christian this year. Hoping they get yours through sooner rather than later.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Laura duPlooy/Muchinga Adventures Zambia is recommending Ethiopian for trophy shipping. They have been doing a good job foe her recently.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Well our boxes got off loaded off the Turkish Air flight due to trim issues. Now they are saying maybe they will make it next month.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
It’s Tanzania, not SA or Namibia, but we just got my son’s trophies from his December Safari. We’d have gotten his stuff in April, but the shutdown due to Covid delayed everything.

Shipping cost via Turkish Airlines was $1,850 from Dar Es Salaam to San Francisco and then I had to pay to have the crate shipped to a USDA approved facility due to having a warthog in the shipment. In the future, I doubt we will bring home any swine at all unless we get a special pig to mount. I had Coppersmith clear the shipment in San Francisco and they were great. It was quick and easy, a good value for the service they provided.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Supposedly a crate is wheels' up for me right now from Lusaka.

We will see.

On the ground and to the tannery.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have three crates that I just paid the airfare for last week coming from South Africa to Atlanta. I haven’t gotten an update yet on the departure but everything is aligned with CopperSmith for receipt.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 867 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are flying out Sunday and arriving in Atlanta next week. Looks like they are also going from SA to Turkey to Atlanta.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw Yes, thats the Africa I know and love, its a continent of problems that I had to deal with for half a lifetime, it will not be missed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got all of my trophies from Zambia through Ethiopian. We hunted last August and it included leopard and buff.

I thought the fees were reasonable for two crates, and it took about a week from the time I was notified it was delivered until it arrived in Chicago.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I hate shipping companies!

I was informed on the 7th that my trophies were off loaded from the Turkish Air flight due to trim issues so the shipper in Namibia tells me that he will go tomorrow and pick them back up from the Airline and try to get them out on Oct 27th.

Yesterday I get informed by my Customs broker that the airline called them asking why they haven't processed the trophies that have been sitting in San Francisco since the 7th and have been accumulating storage fees since the 10th.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are having such a mess with your trophies. Seems like everything has been working against you.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
My shipment arrived in Atlanta on 10/15 but I haven’t heard anything from CopperSmith yet on when they may be available for pickup.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It only gets better, I live a 5 hour drive from San Francisco airport but luckily my younger brother is only an hour away. Even though he drove back from Washington State yesterday towing a new boat that he bought up there, he volunteered to drive up the SFO and pick up our crates.

My Custom's Broker told me that he can pick them up for me and that the shipping office is open Monday through Saturday until 5:00 PM. My brother gets there this afternoon and there's a sign on the door pick up are on Monday through Friday. Saturdays is drop off only!

I am very unhappy with every aspect of this shipping fiasco so far.

Frank

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
SNIPER-
Your trophies might be caught up in the old 100% inspection by US Agriculture that has been going on in Atlanta!! Mine were last year after someone pushed through some illegal shipments among bird trophy shipments....
Coppersmith is the expert in Atlanta and was the one who my Import Broker hired to get the inspection done and back into transit....for a FEE!!
Normally, I clear all of my own shipments but this derailment was different.... the fee for clearance after arrival in US, Atlanta AG Inspection and US F&W and Customs in Seattle, for pick up at their off airport warehouse- $637!! Irritating....and yes...the total from my outfitter, to his taxidermist for dip and pack, transport to JNB, documentation, insurance and Air....MORE than the cost of Hunting Days for my Safari!!....
This shipping GIG has gotten to be a killer... and I would NOT have had these shipped if it were not two significant trophies... Roan and Aoudad... and the Aoudad scored #16 SCI...to complete my SCI African 29 Award...
Outfitters need to get their arms around this issue and control it....or it will be another nail in the coffin for Safari Hunting!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
SNIPER-
Your trophies might be caught up in the old 100% inspection by US Agriculture that has been going on in Atlanta!! Mine were last year after someone pushed through some illegal shipments among bird trophy shipments....
Coppersmith is the expert in Atlanta and was the one who my Import Broker hired to get the inspection done and back into transit....for a FEE!!
Normally, I clear all of my own shipments but this derailment was different.... the fee for clearance after arrival in US, Atlanta AG Inspection and US F&W and Customs in Seattle, for pick up at their off airport warehouse- $637!! Irritating....and yes...the total from my outfitter, to his taxidermist for dip and pack, transport to JNB, documentation, insurance and Air....MORE than the cost of Hunting Days for my Safari!!....
This shipping GIG has gotten to be a killer... and I would NOT have had these shipped if it were not two significant trophies... Roan and Aoudad... and the Aoudad scored #16 SCI...to complete my SCI African 29 Award...
Outfitters need to get their arms around this issue and control it....or it will be another nail in the coffin for Safari Hunting!!

470EDDY
Funny you should say that, I had my 2015 shipment stuck in Atlanta, Coppersmith was on it and talked to the right person to get my shipment moving. The Atlanta inspection was being held up due to employees taking vacation and or calling in sick. They did not have the man power to do the inspection in a timely process. Coppersmith was able to get customs to drop the daily holding fees that they were charging for storing my shipment. If I remember correctly my shipment was stuck in Atlanta for 3+ weeks. The Holding/storage fee was considerable, well over $1,000+, Coppersmith earned their money on this one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue at Atlanta, if your shipment doesn't slide through as it usually does, then you risk the "Powers That Be"....shipping your consignment OFF SITE to a secured warehouse where it will sit until YOU OR YOUR AGENT proactively causes it to be moved back into transit...and then be faced with all of the fees they generate at will!!
I don't know if this is directed at hunters/trophies, or simply Government Bureaucracy?? It is Very aggravating and one MUST STAY ON TOP OF THEIR SHIPMENTS or risk loss...
I actually threatened abandoning the whole SheBang last time....that does get attention, of course, then they lose everything financially... but you may get charged with import violations or some other ridiculous charges!!
Viscous Circle...and as the "new automated electronic systems" kick in it will become more difficult for non-licensed parties to clear trophies...and we are forced to use import services....ie MORE COSTS!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many international shippers do not have agents here in the States. So basically they handoff the shipment to US Customs and then it becomes the problem of the domestic shipper to see it through. Often, there is little to no communications or coordination between the international and domestic shipper.

Best to have this discussion with your PH and the intended shipper BEFORE you agree to the transaction. Make sure you have all the contact information for both the international and domestic carrier. This is why dealing with folks like Coppersmith are beneficial as they track both sides of the shipment.

Some PH's don't sweat the details on shipping largely because they have already been paid and it's someone else's problem - and generally that winds up being the client's problem.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Our long national nightmare is over!

My brother and nephew picked up the boxes this afternoon!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Frank