THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is with deep sadness to announce the passing of Chifuti Safaris professional hunter Ian Gibson. Ian was tragically killed by an elephant bull earlier today while guiding an elephant hunt in Chewore North (Lower Zambezi Valley).

The details are just starting to emerge as I write this. However it appears that Ian and his client had been on the tracks of an elephant bull for approximately 5 hours when they decided to take a break and allow the client to rest. Feeling he was quite close to the elephant, Ian and his tracker Robert continued to follow the tracks in hopes of getting a look at the ivory as the client stayed with the game scout to rest. Robert indicated the bull was in musk. They eventually caught up to the bull, spotting him at about 50-100 meters. The bull instantly turned and began a full charge. Ian and Robert began shouting in order to stop the charge. At very close range, Ian was able to get off one shot before the bull killed him. The scene was very graphic.

Ian Gibson was a fine man and one of the most experienced professional hunters on the African continent. He will be deeply missed by all…

I will provide more details as they become available.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am speechless. What a tragedy and a loss.

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Heartbreaking, and a real shame. A great loss for all of us. Sympathy to his entire family.

Posts: 501 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So sorry. Prayers to all.

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
What terrible news, he was a good man. Truly heartbreaking.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What a terrible tragedy!

Our prayers to his family and friends.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66750 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Holy crap...

Thoughts and prayers...unreal.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First Owain, and now Ian. This is terribly sad. Our hearts go out to the family and Chifuti. We are stunned.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible day for the hunting community. Heart goes out to the family. RIP

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian was bigger than life. Such a competent and fun loving PH. A great loss to the hunting community. He will be greatly missed.
lb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A huge loss to the hunting fraternity a great person that will be sorrily missed!

Posts: 621 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are for his family.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horrible news. Condolences to the family.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about this Dave. Sending my thoughts and prayers to friends, family, and colleagues.

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tough deal and even tougher for family and friends around him
That's elephant hunting and for us hunters, these PH's are what keeps us safe
RIP Ian and most of us will see you later on the other side

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news - Condolences to the family and close friends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have no words

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow.....how horrible. I'm sorry for all involved including friends and family.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horrible. Very sad News. Condolence to his Family. Rest in Peace

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear such tragic news and condolences to the family.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
unbelievable - what a tragic loss to the community as a whole - there is nobody on the planet that knows chewore like ian and very few with as much experience and knowledge of big game hunting - prayers for his family -

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terribly sad..

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Wow, just wow!! What can be said? Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family and also the client and tracker. I imagine they will carry this incident for some time.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7572 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is very sad news. Ian was a great hunter and a wonderful person. I know that he had a very close call with a cow elephant a few years ago. The only small consolation is that he died doing what he loved.

What a great shame.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Dammit.

Just horrible news.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My God, no! I never met the man, but he was one of my favorite PHs to watch on all the hunting shows. He seemed like such a NICE guy and would have loved to have hunted with him one day.

Events like this makes one wonder that God, is not only indifferent, but often-times cruel. Dave, please keep us informed and my deepest condolences to his family. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. Best to his family and friends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this, may he rest in peace and prayers to all of his family and friends

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We are losing many many PHs lately ,and many more injured ...RIP MY FRIEND

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another very sad day, RIP Ian. God bless your family. Dave let us know where, and when we can help.

Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Terrible. Condolences to his family.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Ian, I've had him yell at me more than once, and I've had him ask me to help out when he needed legs and another gun - he made me a better hunter and a better person......

Posts: 8 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 22 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear Frowner

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tragic news and my prayers go out to his family.
I want to believe that Ian died doing what he loved to do. Small consolation to the loss of a great man.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. RIP Ian

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
First Owain, and now Ian. This is terribly sad. Our hearts go out to the family and Chifuti. We are stunned.

My sentiments exactly. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terrible tragedy. Condolences to all the family and friends of his. He always had time to talk at shows, and seemed to be one of the great ones to hunt with. He'll be missed.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
This is very hard to believe and accept. Ian was so much fun to be around. He will be missed by a great many people. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Rest In Peace shamwari.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow this is terrible news. Gibbo was one of the living legends of our sport. My sincerest condolences to his family.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote