THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Tragic Loss of a Great Friend: Ian Gibson
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news

Condolences to family.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Damn, had known Ian for a long time.

Can't screw with eles or be too good at the brain shot.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our deepest Thanks for the many thoughts and calls on Gibbo's behalf.As you can imagine, the Chifuti and Safari Classics family are simply devastated by the sudden loss of a man who is our friend, and truly a member of our families. It does not seem real, but we are dealing with the grim realities that accompany a loss of life deep in the bush and all hands on deck to offer the support to Gibbo's family and loved ones. I will be posting news on AR as appropriate, but please give me some time to give updates on the needs to come. Just heartbroken at the moment.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Glad Robert survived. He was Ian's tracker for a good 20+ years.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So unbelievably heartbreaking, Ian truly was always great fun to be around and yet in the field one of the legends of zim pro hunters. RIP to one of the true dugga boys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Such sad news. I was fortunate to be in camp with him and he was so much fun to be around. A very experienced PH and hunter. Condolences to his family.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian was one of Zim's great PHs. RIP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibbo walked more kilometers in the Zambezi valley than most who've hunted there and helped many people realize their dreams in the land he loved to hunt. Today, the Zambezi valley lost a legend and many have lost a friend.

Gibbo (aka Chikwenya), go well my friend. My thoughts are with Hillary and your 3 kids.

Cheers
Brent LeesMay

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very sad news. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I didn't know until you texted me Dave. Condolences to his family and yours my friend.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Very sad, I had several customers hunt with him over the years and all had glowing reports. Condolences to the family.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Prayers to his family. Hopefully the new trust that Dallas Safari Club has established will help his family.
RIP

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry to hear this. What a loss to the fraternity of PH's in Zim and to hunting. I will always remember him for his friendliness and infectious good humor.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just awful. Prayers to his family and friends.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just dreadful.
So much is on the line chasing Jumbo.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God Bless and look after our Friend and Brother Ian and above all his wonderful Family. We shall all miss Ian and his wonderful smile.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Wow, so sad to hear this. He was one of my favorite PH's to watch on Tracks. My prayers are with his family on this terrible day.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Prayers & condolences sent to family and friends.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sincerest condolences to Ian's family, everyone at Chifuti Safaris and all at Safari Classics.

Gibbo and I had another pleasant conversation this past February at SCI. First Owain to a Buff and now Ian to an Ele. I have hunted 3 of my last 4 annual safaris with Chifuti and am taking this hard.

To all Gibbo's friends I extend my hand as I wish Ian fair winds and plentiful game on the other side of the river.

This is truly a reminder that DG hunting is always to be taken seriously.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
What a tragic loss. Condolences to the family.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better tomorrows to his family.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
very sad - the African Hunting community has lost another great man. We will all miss Ian.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
At a loss for the right words. Gibbo, my man, Kwaheri Bwana. The Hunting Gods have called. Condolences to the family. Damn.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible, terrible news. Among Ian's many wonderful qualities was the fact that he made you feel as if you were friends for years when in reality your encounters were brief moments at the annual hunting shows. Condolences to Ian's family, by blood and by association with Chifuti, Safari Classics and the hunting community.

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news.....Again....

RIP we never met but I would have liked to. Never made it to the chifuti booth this year

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredibly sad news. I admired and respected Ian on the shows as a PH who knew his stuff. Our prayers and deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Pau;

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Go well mate.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable! I had met Ian (Gibbo) and shared a campfire with him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a terrible tragedy, our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
From all of the PHs and staff of Chapungu-Kambako Safaris, our deepest condolences go to all those who knew Gibbo and worked with him. He was undoubtedly the king of Chewore North, a scholar and gentlemen, an old school Zimbo, and one of the best and most experienced PHs to have ever walked the walk and talk the talk. Our thoughts are with you and may you all cherish the times you spent with him. Gibbo, you will be missed, by all those who knew you and whom with you shared your hunting grounds. Much respect, and rest in peace.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Prayers to his family.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. I enjoyed watching him on TV. Condolences to the family.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this awful news. Sympathy and condolences to family and friends.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
I never got the chance to meet him. He was always one of my favorites to watch. Leaves a very hollow, empty feeling in me. God bless him and his family.

Posts: 261 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian and I were on safari together in May 2012, and we were first on the scene of the tragic death of Owain Lewis, Gibbo took it hard...understandable!! The two of us spent all night together, only feet from Owain's body and I remember Ian trying not to show much emotion in my presence, but it wasn't working - nor should it have. I felt horrible for his loss! I also remember vividly him telling me that if a PH is to go, at the hands of his adversary is the way it should be!

Honestly, Ian and I clashed a lot on that safari! He had his way of hunting, I had mine - and lets just say they weren't the same. He wanted to zig, and I wanted to zag - but in the end we were both beaten by a tremendous old male lion!! But, what we did have in common was a relentless drive to be successful - and I did very much appreciate that about him. Our lack of success on Shumba was not for Ian's lack of drive or determination, not at all. He worked as hard, or harder, than any other PH I have ever hunted with! For that, he forever had my respect.

I do recall however, he was not too impressed with my .600NE. I don't think it was the gun/caliber that left him shaking his head, rather the shooter Smiler

God speed, and rest peacefully Mr. Gibson! Thanks for the memories and the effort, I will always remember that safari. My condolences to his family, friends, Safari Classics and Chifuti Safaris.

Pictured below is the big lion that both brought us together, and tore us apart!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sad for his family and friends. I enjoyed the documentaries he was part of.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Ian's death is a great loss to the PH and hunting communities. I have greatly enjoyed watching and listening to Ian on Tracks Across Africa and in the "Boddington on..." DVD's over the years. He always struck me as a very knowledgeable, professional, and cautious man. It just goes to show that every animal is an individual and therefore unpredictable. RIP Ian Gibson and our prayers to his family.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear. My condolences to the Family and Chifuti operations.

Watching him in the Boddington buffalo films made me believe that Ian was the kind of PH I would love to hunt with.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having only met him at SCI, I still feel we have all lost a great man.

May God give his family peace.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My condolences to all friends and family. RIP

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sad. My condolences to his family.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote