THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Whats the one thing you wish you had on first safari
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the one thing you wish you had on first safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I pretty much have most of my stuff lined up for my trip. I have read the recommended packing list. Anything not on most list, that I would probably want to take with me? Anybody know If I can buy makers mark in JNB?

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
More money and mostly, more time!!!!

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More time!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Gin, money and time

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Gin, money and time

Can't argue with that!

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of things I did have, that I was really happy about:

- Candy for the trackers - this is a total hit and a great way to connect with them

- warm clothes - we often tend to think of africa is hot - we had some very cold mornings

- a small bluetooth speaker for my iphone - listening to some good tunes in the evening with a beer

- a spare scope

- screwdriver kit to tighten scope

- a kindle

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booked a lion hunt rather than Sable and Buffalo. The pricing difference between the mid nineties and today for lion is mind blowing.
Also, from an equipment standpoint decent boots. I was told a pair of running shoes would be fine, They were noisy and barely slowed down the thorns. I came home with new Courtneys.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Experience...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was a heavy coat. Was able to buy one from the P.H.
Money, Not understanding that I would not see Mt. Zebra everywhere

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More money and mostly, more time!!!!

Pretty well sums it up for me.
Very few things in life equal the planning & anticipation of your first safari.
Enjoy EVERY minute of it.
I sure wish I could have another first one.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A notebook and pens to keep a journal. Your hunt will be a sensory overload and many of the small detail will be forgotten if not recorded. Once you return home, you will be amazed on how much you have forgotten as you read or type your journal.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gloves. It can get chilly riding in the back of the truck in the mornings. I did carry a very long neck gaiter that I could pull over my face and ears but, my hands got very cold with no gloves.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were far more things I took on my 1st safari that were never needed & left behind for the staff than things I needed & didn't have.
Pack light!!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

I think you'll be pretty happy if you stick to the packing list. Bwana cecil gave you some words of wisdom. Most of us take too much stuff early on. I take far less now than ever before. One tip. Carry your own TP when you leave the Cruiser. I had to use Zim dollar once!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Cheerleaders.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Extra shoe laces, antibiotics for impacted/cracked tooth, upper respiratory problems or whatever, eyewash, tube of denture adhesive if you have crowns that may come loose, anti-biotic and anti-itch cream. Small rifle cleaning kit with sectional rod.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
More common sense when it comes to taxidermy.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I look back at my first bunch of Safaris, I would only have changed one thing.

I bought a cheaper pair of binoculars and really struggled to pick up what the Ph was looking at, that was 20 years ago now a days they all are good.

Take an extra pair of sun glasses.

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zim in 1996 a full maned lion @ 80 yards and a $ 2500 fee and I passed.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first safari was to be my only safari.I was coming off a string of terrible years in business and I then had one good year and I thought I might as well go because chances are that it is all over.I was then hit by a few miraculous events and things turned around for a few years.During those few years I could have enjoyed numerous safaris If I wanted.These good years were put to an end by a couple of pricks otherwise things would still be rolling. While I was on my first safari and talking to the trackers I knew that a better area would make for a better overall experience-that opened up my imagination.With that feeling,I hit bulls eye with my Makuti hunt and then somewhat with my leopard in Dande.If I could bring something to a safari that would make it better it would be a better frame of mind-something we have little control of.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...more time...more ammo..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJInes, good point on the taxidermy. I plan to only mount the really big animals. God willing ill have a bunch more hunts to go on.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

One tip. Carry your own TP when you leave the Cruiser. I had to use Zim dollar once!!!

Mark

+1

Still cheaper than toilet paper......possibly not as soft.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
A couple of things I did have, that I was really happy about:

- Candy for the trackers - this is a total hit and a great way to connect with them

- warm clothes - we often tend to think of africa is hot - we had some very cold mornings

- a small bluetooth speaker for my iphone - listening to some good tunes in the evening with a beer

- a spare scope

- screwdriver kit to tighten scope

- a kindle

Ditto on warm clothes but a good windbreaker would be precious. Initially, I was using a thick blanket in Zim while riding on top of the safari vehicle - did not work. Lucky for me Biebs would lend me his windbreaker when it was my turn to ride topside.

Keep a small flashlight handy at all times. Darkness fell on some members of my party while they were going back to their ride and they heard lions roaring - scary to say the least.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first safari was to Zimbabwe in 1995. I booked a 10-Day hunt with the help of Jack Atcheson Jr, and was lucky enough to get Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, and an impala in only 10 days.

I honestly can't think of anything else I would have wished to have on that first one!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One tip. Carry your own TP when you leave the Cruiser. I had to use Zim dollar once!!!

Mark

If you fly SAA keep some of those "refresher towels" they give you to wipe your face. Makes great TP and doesn't take up much room in your pocket.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
2 cameras

The correct power converter and a power strip

A small electric blanket will go with me next time

A journal and two pens......I wrote a book and one pen wasn't enough

Light weght boots

Light wind proof jacket

More ammo

My own personal shooting stix will go next time

More prescription meds for "pisible"

Sunscreen and lip balm with sunscreen

#1 and the most important

Take a good attitude

This is supposed to be fun G-Dmit so enjoy it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Read more AR hunt reports

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I only wanted a few things more than I had on my first safari! 16 more days, $20K more money and a leopard, and lion license!

Other than that I had a fine safari!

.................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Allergy medication. I never had any kind of allergy in my life but had bad a bad allergy attack my second day in Namibia, I though that it was a head cold. I had another attack just like that in the East Cape and this time my brother was along (who has a lot of hay fever/allergies) and gave me some of his over the counter allergy medication and it cleared right up.

I had no problems in Zimbabwe but I'm never going to Africa again with out some kind of non-drowsy, over the counter, anti allergy medication.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sunscreen (lots of it and the odorless kind)

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
more money!!. as to the folks recommending warm clothes, it seems the OP is leaving soon. i seriously doubt he will need warm clothes in mid Sept anywhere in southern Africa......a journal is also nice to keep.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Forgot my fleece.

Only thing I regret not having was my wind proof fleece for early morning.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Josh,

I think you'll be pretty happy if you stick to the packing list. Bwana cecil gave you some words of wisdom. Most of us take too much stuff early on. I take far less now than ever before. One tip. Carry your own TP when you leave the Cruiser. I had to use Zim dollar once!!!

Mark

TP is worth more than Zim$ Big Grin

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Headlamp, flashlight, be prepared to walk back to camp. Doxy, Cipro.
Mid Sept. on gets HOT. Shorts are quieter. Bought tall stalking boots in Windhoek AFTER my shins looked like cat scratching posts.
Thorns will grab clothing and hang on tight.
They'll slide across bare skin but you will bleed.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double check you scope is holding its zero before you leave.

If you are using handloads; pull the firing pin out of your bolt and run each round from the mag into the chamber.

A power adaptor.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a great camera that not only takes great pictures but also good video. It would be easy in most situations to have some one quickly film yourself at the moment of truth and on a baited hunt well... priceless!!

My one regret was not getting footage of the Sitatunga that everyone was watching before I was able to harvest it. There`s always next time but I would encourage you to have it on your first Safari.

Good luck!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
A better camera/video camera. And more time.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Dulcolax.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ice and first world toilet tissue.