Notify
Tools

DSC Expanding
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
Congratulations!!!

BTW I think the "Conservation" theme for the convention is a nice touch.

Well done to Karl and DSC.

http://dscnewscenter.org/2015/...on-event-highlights/

DALLAS (October 7, 2015) – Dallas Safari Club (DSC), a globally focused hunting conservation organization based in Dallas, announces the launch of a chapter affiliation program. Under the new chapter program, like-minded conservation groups without geographical ties to the organization will be eligible to seek local DSC chapter status and be an influential part in achieving DSC’s vision of a society that values wildlife, engages in its conservation, and understands and supports the role of well-regulated hunting in the sustainable use of wild resources.

Since its start in 1982, DSC has functioned as an independent organization located in Dallas. As news of the club’s successful efforts spread, so too did its membership ranks, which swelled to more than 6,000 members around the world by the start of 2015.

“Over the last four years, DSC has given grants totaling more than $5 million to directly support its mission statement of conservation, education and protecting hunters’ rights,” DSC Executive Director Ben Carter said. “DSC’s leadership role in the conservation world combined with our consistent membership growth and record-breaking convention attendance figures led to a lot of membership interest from groups outside the Dallas area. We’re excited to begin the process of adding those groups to the DSC family.”

The announcement of DSC’s chapter program comes as the organization continues preparations for its “Conservation” convention. More than 50,000 attendees are expected at the 2016 DSC Annual Convention, which will run January 7-10 at the Dallas Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center. The upcoming convention will draw exhibitors and attendees from around the world, filling more than 800,000 square feet of convention center space with over 1000 exhibitors filling 1800 exhibits.

Events scheduled for the 2016 DSC Annual Convention include the presentation of the Weatherby Award, one of hunting’s most prestigious honors, which will be presented during a banquet on Wednesday, January 6 inside the Omni Hotel Ballroom where all of the 2016 DSC Annual Convention’s nightly banquets and auctions will take place.

Presentation of the Conklin Award, a prestigious honor informally referred to as hunting’s “Tough Guy” award, will be presented at a banquet on Thursday, January 7. Friday, January 8, will be the DSC Foundation banquet.

On Saturday, January 9, DSC will present its most prestigious honor, the Capstick Award, at a black-tie banquet capped by DSC’s spectacular live auction. The auction will feature exotic trips, the world’s finest firearms; original works of art, custom jewelry and furs among the many lots up for bid.

Other events scheduled in conjunction with the 2016 DSC Annual Convention include Friday’s Ladies Luncheon, as well as Saturday morning’s Life Member Breakfast, where the keynote speaker will be world-renowned hunter Jim Shockey. In addition, the annual Exhibitor’s Welcome Party will take place on Wednesday night at the world famous Gilley’s in Dallas.

The DSC ANNUAL Convention is the organization’s largest fundraiser and provides the resources necessary to continue DSC’s mission which benefits all sportsmen and women. This active support of conservation and education are the cornerstones of the group’s efforts to protect hunters’ rights worldwide.

Details about becoming a DSC chapter will be available soon on our website. Please visit www.biggame.org.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am up for starting a chapter in Oklahoma City for sure.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While they are at it they ought to rebrand the organization and drop the regional connection ("Dallas"), drop the big dollar African hunting connection ("Safari") and drop the club connection ("Club"). Come up with a name that embraces all hunters or perhaps even sportsmen generally, all parts of the country and goes with a more neutral descriptor like association, foundation, organization, etc.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Over the last four years, DSC has given grants totaling more than $5 million to directly support its mission statement of conservation, education and protecting hunters’ rights,” DSC Executive Director Ben Carter said. “DSC’s leadership role in the conservation world combined with our consistent membership growth and record-breaking convention attendance figures led to a lot of membership interest from groups outside the Dallas area. We’re excited to begin the process of adding those groups to the DSC family.”

One of the things I would love to see from DSC (and SCI as well) is a specific top ten list of where money is used for conservation. A wallet size card would be perfect. It gives us valuable information when speaking to people that do not understand the role hunting plays in paying for conservation.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I know this is obvious but...waiting to see how many SCI local/regional groups get euphoria and switch what they're already doing for SCI but do it instead for an organization that's moving forward instead of inward. Hope DSC doesn't slowly turn into an ineffectual, deaf, blind and elitist SCI over time. Time will tell.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
While they are at it they ought to rebrand the organization and drop the regional connection ("Dallas"), drop the big dollar African hunting connection ("Safari") and drop the club connection ("Club"). Come up with a name that embraces all hunters or perhaps even sportsmen generally, all parts of the country and goes with a more neutral descriptor like association, foundation, organization, etc.

Tell me you are not the guy pushing for Columbus Day to be rebranded to Indigenous Peoples Day?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

Tell me you are not the guy pushing for Columbus Day to be rebranded to Indigenous Peoples Day?

The very one . . . like Elizabeth Warren I am part Native American. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

tu2

World Hunting and Conservation Congress

You are welcome...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

tu2

You are welcome...

Jeff

Close but I would not want to associated or confused with the US Congress.

World Hunting and Conservation Society

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am up for starting a chapter in Oklahoma City for sure.

As long as it doesn't take any time, money or effort, count me in. Smiler

Seriously, if you do this let me know.

I agree that rebranding to something other than DSC would be beneficial.

It will be interesting to see if any SCI chapters make a complete swap.

Wonder if anyone in Tucson has even noticed this press release yet. Eeker

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i am wondering if anyone at SCI gives a s--t! pissers

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:

One of the things I would love to see from DSC (and SCI as well) is a specific top ten list of where money is used for conservation. A wallet size card would be perfect. It gives us valuable information when speaking to people that do not understand the role hunting plays in paying for conservation.

Mike: I like this idea and we are working on something very similar to what you suggest, I believe we should let our members know where we spend the money they entrusted to us. Your other suggestion has and is being looked at as well.

Regarding the press release, an unbelievable amount of time and work went into the decision to form affiliate chapters, a very small group of dedicated volunteers consisting mostly of Past Presidents spent literally hundreds of hours in meetings with consultants and each other trying to hammer out a workable program... most are still friends Wink and they let me be a part of the group even though I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can get things done.
We really don't know how this will be accepted and therefore have plans on easing into this, depending on how much interest there might be.
Our main goal in this endeavor is to increase the amount of money we can grant towards our mission and we hope and believe we can substantially increase our grants by a huge margin in a very short time.
Hope to see you at the show!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcat:

Yep.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i am wondering if anyone at SCI gives a s--t! pissers

Yep.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcat:

Yep.

jumping

SCI can only ignore their members for so long.....

Karl, Thanks for doing this. Some of us have been hoping this or something like it would happen for along time.

I am not sure what DSC's goals are but I hope you rebrand DSC to be inclusive of all hunters everywhere. Bwana Bunduki's suggestion or something like it may not be far off.

Hopefully DSC can become the NRA for all hunters.

All the best.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great work Karl
I for one won't drop SCI membership but I will become DCS member as well
Keep it up boys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the only change I like is underwear, other than that I want things the same.
But I will support Karl & DSC until such time they start reminding me of the other organization.
Stick In The Mud

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cecil: folks like you are the backbone of DSC, I would not have supported this if I thought for one minute that we would forget who we are and who brought us to where we are.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If an Alaska chapter opens, I'm in. I will offer assistance with printing a newsletter, double rifle displays, etc.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
So will I here in Montana

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike: I like this idea and we are working on something very similar to what you suggest, I believe we should let our members know where we spend the money they entrusted to us. Your other suggestion has and is being looked at as well.

Regarding the press release, an unbelievable amount of time and work went into the decision to form affiliate chapters, a very small group of dedicated volunteers consisting mostly of Past Presidents spent literally hundreds of hours in meetings with consultants and each other trying to hammer out a workable program... most are still friends Wink and they let me be a part of the group even though I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can get things done.
We really don't know how this will be accepted and therefore have plans on easing into this, depending on how much interest there might be.
Our main goal in this endeavor is to increase the amount of money we can grant towards our mission and we hope and believe we can substantially increase our grants by a huge margin in a very short time.

Karl

I don't have the expertise but this seems like a good idea--the one caveat I would have is to do it slowly for the first couple of years--Get a few chapters up and working, then expand from there.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Karl

I don't have the expertise but this seems like a good idea--the one caveat I would have is to do it slowly for the first couple of years--Get a few chapters up and working, then expand from there.

Hi Sean.

I get what your saying but I personally believe there are many, many folks in the same boat as I.

We (I) left SCI disillusioned, feeling that SCI had lost its way. When I left the Phoenix Chapter, there was a mass exodus. No fewer than 5 past presidents, the current President, along with an entire advisory council with more than 100 years collective knowledge and experience.

I personally reached out to the current President at DSC. I asked him this exact question, implement a Chapter business model. At the time there was no interest.

My point; there are probably many new Chapters that could be formed with these disenfranchised SCI members. They could be up and running in short order. Just an understanding of the DSC model and their differences as to SCI.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The name change is something to seriously consider. The current name is too regional and too exclusive sounding and many hunters probably never consider joining because they are not from Texas or have some other misperception. I am part of both of a related national and local professional organization that was known for decades by one name. When the name became an impediment to the organization's mission and progress, there was a proposal to change the name. Of course, there were many long time members who felt a name change would be tantamount to capitulation, a loss of identity, a loss of organizational heritage, etc. Ultimately, the organizations decided to look forward and acted in the best interest of current and future effectiveness. Once done, the name change was well accepted and, now, most people wonder what all the fuss was about.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 22 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The name change is something to seriously consider. The current name is too regional and too exclusive sounding and many hunters probably never consider joining because they are not from Texas or have some other misperception.

I get your point.
Living just 5 hrs. east of Dallas the name never affected me.
But if it had been Orlando Safari Club or something similar, I probably would not have joined.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter Flack has blogged about the idea of forming a world wide pro-hunting group. See his website for some of his ideas.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agree about the name. That's why I've never considered joining DSC. A name change is mandatory to make the organization most effective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Karl

Hi Sean.

I get what your saying but I personally believe there are many, many folks in the same boat as I.

We (I) left SCI disillusioned, feeling that SCI had lost its way. When I left the Phoenix Chapter, there was a mass exodus. No fewer than 5 past presidents, the current President, along with an entire advisory council with more than 100 years collective knowledge and experience.

I personally reached out to the current President at DSC. I asked him this exact question, implement a Chapter business model. At the time there was no interest.

My point; there are probably many new Chapters that could be formed with these disenfranchised SCI members. They could be up and running in short order. Just an understanding of the DSC model and their differences as to SCI.

Regards,

Steve

Steve

Your points are well made, there is a wealth of experience out there to be tapped---Just didn't want to get overextended and end up being something other than what we are.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is definitely room for two (or more) good hunting/outdoor organizations. But if each group had 100,000 members that would still only represent a handful of the hunters in this Country let alone Worldwide. Just saying. While I have no problem with this DSC plan, it will most likely end up being a one group against the other (just look at how it goes here on AR) and will result in not accomplishing much for the good of hunters/hunting. Just another pissing match brewing IMHO. Eeker I really do hope DSC can make some headway in this and wish them all the best.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - It didn't take much digging but I saw Safari Club (along with other groups like DSC, HSC, DU) are part of the Texans United for Hunting and Fishing Rights group.

http://www.huntandfishtx.com/endorsements/

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I think a national hunting rights organization is shooting itself in the foot with the local name.

Perhaps keeping DSC as it is, and using their successful administration as an model or even dual role, create a parent organization, such as the National Safari Club, with DSC and other chapters under that umbrella.

Also, the very word 'safari' in the title, while accurate, smacks of rich dudes jetting around the world, sipping gin and tonics while shooting elephants and rhinos to the avg american hunter.

We need EVERYONE that pulls a trigger or a bowstring in search of game, both in the US and abroad, on the same team.

Anyway,enough of my ramblings, good luck Mr Evans!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I think a national hunting rights organization is shooting itself in the foot with the local name.

Perhaps keeping DSC as it is, and using their successful administration as an model or even dual role, create a parent organization, such as the National Safari Club, with DSC and other chapters under that umbrella.

Also, the very word 'safari' in the title, while accurate, smacks of rich dudes jetting around the world, sipping gin and tonics while shooting elephants and rhinos to the avg american hunter.

We need EVERYONE that pulls a trigger or a bowstring in search of game, both in the US and abroad, on the same team.

Anyway,enough of my ramblings, good luck Mr Evans!

Thank you for the well wishes, I believe, as do you and most others that visit this forum, that we should all work together to protect our common interest. Working on that and making headway, too. Stay tuned.

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
I think there is definitely room for two (or more) good hunting/outdoor organizations.

Key point is "good". SCI isn't.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply a personal opinion of yours there mt Al. Facts tend to differ with your opinion. No big deal.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
quote:
I think there is definitely room for two (or more) good hunting/outdoor organizations.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
One does not have to use Dallas in the name, just DSC--Alaska or DSC--Arizona, etc. I hope this continuers as I miss begin part of a national organization.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

tu2

You are welcome...

Jeff

That name was used in the 1980s when SCI and the CIC held shows in Madrid and Las Vegas.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I knew Jeff could never have an original thought. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Sure, you must be right. SCI's a great organization. The criticisms of SCI must not be "facts" and the people excited about jumping from the sinking ship must share my delusion. We're wrong/you're right. Got it and thanks.

quote:
Simply a personal opinion of yours there mt Al. Facts tend to differ with your opinion. No big deal.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
One does not have to use Dallas in the name, just DSC--Alaska or DSC--Arizona, etc. I hope this continuers as I miss begin part of a national organization.
Cal

Apparently it is not necessary for chapters to have Dallas or DSC in their name. DSC has announced the first affiliate is Lubbock Sportsman’s Club. The second one is DSC Northeast in Milford, CT.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Name..........

Sportsman/Conservationist Association - ::insert local::

Sportsman/Conservationist Association Alaska
Sportsman/Conservationist Association Dallas
Sportsman/Conservationist Association Arizona

etc.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote