New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloaders...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do you use new brass or previously fired on big hunting trips?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New or as new as possible.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am using brass that has been loaded 15 times.

I only throw them away when they develop cracks in the neck or shoulder.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sound advice coming from you Saeed!!

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I use a wildcat I designed and built myself.

I form brass for it.

I take them on safari where several of us use them in different rifles.

Both rifles were chambered with the same reamer.

After a few years, one or two of the cases show cracks on the neck or shoulder.

I leave these behind, and just replace them with new brass.

The rest go on and on.

I know most of these have been loaded at least 15 times.

This is what I do.

I am not suggesting anyone else does the same.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The prudent advise is to use all new brass so there is no danger of the bolt not closing because you have a tight chamber and there is a bit of dirt or debris in the chamber. Personally I just cycle all my hunting ammo through the rifle before a hunt. If it feeds and chambers fine I'm good to go.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
New or once fired for me. But I don’t shoot as much as Saeed!

I am loading ammo right now for an upcoming safari and it will all be in once fired brass - full-length resized.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use brass that has been shot and tested in my gun. I'm like Saeed and reuse brass.

I have over 2,000 rounds through my 375 H&H and and I've probably only bought 200 cases. I used to keep track of how many times I reloaded each case but gave up when I was consistently getting over a dozen reloads on each case.

I anneal cases about once a year and discard the cases when the primer pockets start to loosen. I can't remember the last time I had a case crack and I've never had a case head separation in this rifle. If you adjust your sizing dies to closely match your chamber you will work your brass less and minimize cast stretch on firing this results in a lot longer brass life.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are more adventurous than I am. For target practice on several occasions had the case crack and separate just before the belt on my 375 could not get fired case out. The last time was the day before I was due to leave on safari lucky the local gunsmith was a friend of mine and got me out of this jam. From that point on I used only new cases for hunting in addition, I run all of the reloaded cases through my rifle .For target practice I discard cases after 3 rounds saves a tip to gun smith .

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big trips get new brass. Once fired is regulated to local deer hunting and practice. I cycle all rounds to ensure they chamber prior to leaving.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloaded multiple times, usually. High intensity cases like the .300 RUM will usually get reused 2 times then go to the practice pile, but stuff like the Rigby I don’t even bother to track how many times it’s been used.

If anything is off on the case it gets put in the throw away pile.

My loads are usually on the conservative side for hunting, except for things like the .300.

Posts: 10576 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
Big trips get new brass. Once fired is regulated to local deer hunting and practice. I cycle all rounds to ensure they chamber prior to leaving.

tu2 l now full length size new brass as well. Neck sized new Hornady 6.5 Creedmore would not chamber in my daughter’s Weatherby.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shotgun 46,

If you only resize those fired 375 H&H cases part way as in adjust your seating die to not quite touch the shoulder of the case on the sizing stroke your 375 cases will last a long time. Both the 375 and 300 H&H stretch excessively because of their tapered case and shoulder causing the split just before the belt. In 35+ years of using a 375 I have never had a case split.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Shotgun 46,

If you only resize those fired 375 H&H cases part way as in adjust your seating die to not quite touch the shoulder of the case on the sizing stroke your 375 cases will last a long time. Both the 375 and 300 H&H stretch excessively because of their tapered case and shoulder causing the split just before the belt. In 35+ years of using a 375 I have never had a case split.

Mark

I've taken to the same theory. I bump the shoulder 0.002" as measured with a Hornady gauge. I haven't lost a practice case yet, and I've some with 8+ on them, mostly PPU.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to use cases that have been fired in the same rifle one time. When the brass is new I uniform the primer pockets, size, trim, and chamfer. Before depriming I uniform the flash hoses, then size, trim, chamfer, and load. These are my hunting loads. I feel I will generally find any major flaws on the first firing. I have never had ammunition loaded this way. I then use the brass for local hunting, practice, and developing loads until it wears out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly always use new brass, see no reason not too..I, of course, keep the emptys to reload. I have in the past use once fired brass in certain guns for various reasons, jus be sure every round feeds before you leave home..Its an option and Ive never had a problem with either handloads with new or used brass..SAme with factory ammo, its always worked...Ive had bullet failures early on and minor problems on one ocassion with double rifle failure and that was my fault, long ago.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
New brass for any hunting trip, I also leave any empties or leftover loaded ammo for the PH.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your handloading methods lead to split brass, hard chambering, hard extraction, expanded primer pockets, etc., then you should never use anything but factory loads. Simply using "new" brass won't correct your faulty handloading.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If your handloading methods lead to split brass, hard chambering, hard extraction, expanded primer pockets, etc., then you should never use anything but factory loads. Simply using "new" brass won't correct your faulty handloading.

If you reload enough, you will get all of the above.

Does not mean you are doing anything wrong.

Faults might be attributed to all sorts of things, not necessarily one’s reloading methods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you adjust your sizing dies to closely match your chamber you will work your brass less and minimize cast stretch on firing this results in a lot longer brass life.

Yep!

quote:

Or seriously rethink your methods.....you are doing something wrong.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For trips abroad, I try to use new brass but I keep 20-30 pieces of my harder-to-find once or twice fired brass segregated for these hunts just in case I can't find new brass. Haven't had any problems so far.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A point in question, is Ive had a few failures with factory ammo..so new brass or old, things can go south, its a matter of keeping that number low..listing a number of problems won't help..

I recall neck sizeing 450-400s many years ago, tried some and they worked, got to Africa and bullets stuck in chamber if I didn't fire them and just unloaded the gun back at the truck..fortunately I had a fold up cleaning rod and knocked the bullets out that had stuck in the throat because I seated them out..Lesson learned in my embryo stage of DG hunting..but its been many years since anymore disaster of that kind took place, but hey others took their place!! anything made by man!!! old

Those that claim nothing bad happens on their hunts, has probably not hunted since dad took away his bb gun.. The more you hunt the more s--t happens..Just get to thinking your the worlds best shot and watch a safari go bad!! poop happens, rest assured.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those that claim nothing bad happens on their hunts, has probably not hunted since dad took away his bb gun.. The more you hunt the more s--t happens..Just get to thinking your the worlds best shot and watch a safari go bad!! poop happens, rest assured.

Truer word were never spoken!

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have not purchased factory ammo in 40+ years.

For hunting I use only new brass or once fired. That brass is kept on a shelf separate from other brass and marked "hunting."

After the second firing, all brass is then requlated to the shooting area and I shoot that brass in practice and keep doing so until it fails.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote