Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone remember this show?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
This one? Any other TV shows or movies you recall about Africa?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I never heard of that one. It lookes like fun. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure that is real .

It appears to be a picture from a TV show called The Rifleman. The older star was Chuck Connors. I think the kid Johnny something or another .

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061243/

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Chuck Connors played in both Major League Baseball and the NBA.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Cal, thanks for sharing. That looks like an interesting series to find and watch.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know he played in the NBA. Must have been quite an athlete.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Chuck played 2 years for the Celtics. At 6’5” or so he was tall for the 1940’s.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, most folks who might remember that show are now taking dirt naps :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Like much TV of that era, it seems pretty forgettable to me. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Hatari 1962 with the Duke...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Biebs that's funny...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I remember the series and the movie well. They were both childhood favorites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Biebs that's funny...

No it’s not. I remember both shows. I’m a young 73! rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some WILD CARGO shows posted on youtube. Great show for the time considering the difficulty in filming.

WILD CARGO
This syndicated documentary show featured films of wild animals, expeditions to Africa and South America, and other hunting trips by adventurer Arthur Jones.

As hard as it often is to dig up information on obscure network shows, it’s harder still to find out anything about many syndicated programs. Because they may not have aired in the entire country, there may not have been much media coverage, making it difficult to research them. I ran into this problem with a show called Wild Cargo. It isn’t listed in The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows (at least not in the eighth edition) and its entry in Total Television is all of two lines:

Half-hour documentary series on capturing wild animals for zoos. Arthur Jones was the host.

According to Total Television, it was released in 1963. The same information is included in The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs, 1947-1976. That wasn’t much to work with. It turns out that Arthur Jones, the man who hosted Wild Cargo, later went on to invent the Nautilus line of exercise equipment in 1970. In the late 1950s, however, he was appearing on television shows like I Search for Adventure and Bold Journey, presenting films of his successful expeditions to Africa and South America.

For example, on June 6th, 1957, he was on I Search for Adventure (a syndicated documentary series; this particular episode was shown in Los Angeles) with a film that showed him “capturing giant African reptiles for shipment to the United States” [1]. On September 22nd, 1958, he appeared on ABC’s Bold Journey with film of “an expedition into the African Congo jungle to capture the great apes of the region” [2]. Another episode of I Search for Adventure, shown in Los Angeles on March 26th, 1959, he showed “how he captured 25 alligators and crocodiles by wrestling with them” [3].

Although Total Television and The Complete Encyclopedia of Television Programs, 1947-1979 indicated otherwise, Wild Cargo debuted in syndication in New York City on Wednesday, February 15th, 1961. It was broadcast by WPIX from 10:30-11PM. In its television listings, The New York Times simply wrote “Film series on big-game hunting” [4].

In the opening credits, a man named Mel Levitt (I’m not sure of the spelling) appears to be the host, not Arthur Jones. Episode descriptions in The New York Times included “Hunting cheetah and elephants with pistol in Africa,” “Hunting the beaded lizard and the boa in Mexico,” “Rattlesnake round-up” and “Hunting the javalina and the kinkajou in Mexico.” If the television listings in The New York Times are accurate, a total of 29 episodes were shown before the series went into repeats in August of 1961; a handful of additional new episodes may have been shown in June of 1962 before WPIX dropped the show.

In Chicago, Wild Cargo premiered on WGN on Tuesday, January 16th, 1962, airing from 8:30-9PM (local time). Television listings in The Chicago Tribune indicate there were a total of 34 episodes; repeats began in November of 1962 and continued through August of 1964. Episode descriptions in that paper were more in-depth. A choice selection:

A documentary film hunting the Asiatic buffalo and a filmed look at the primitive Australian aborigine native dance

Natives making rope for use in capturing elephants, setting up elephant traps, killing of tigers during the night, and an attempt to capture a man-killing leopard.

A native hunter uses an ancient muzzle loading musket to hunt his prey. Various scenes of antelope, zebra and giraffe.

An attempt to locate native game poachers is highlighted by a look at various methods of killing animals by the poachers.

Hunting the Louisiana swamps for alligators, jungle rats, giant snapping turtles and black widow spiders. Shooting jungle rats with a bow and arrow for food for alligators in captivity, collecting alligator eggs, and catching water snakes.

Arthur Jones and Peter Hankin attempt to drive out and remove all types of animals serving as hosts to the deadly tsetse fly, a carrier of the sleeping sickness.

Wild Cargo also aired in Los Angeles, beginning Monday, May 28th, 1962 on KCOP. Several articles in The Chicago Tribune stated that the show was broadcast in color. The Paley Center for media has two episodes of Wild Cargo in its collection.

Arthur Jones died on August 28, 2007. He was 80.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi, Interesting. Thanks, I must check it out. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom spent a lot of time in Africa as I recall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan Tors the producer of Cowboy in Africa son was my PH in Namibia. Steve Tors is a PH for Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris. Ivan was friends with Jan and Steve moved there years ago. Great PH.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:

Now that was a great show! I can still hum that theme song and see Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler in my mind's eye.

As I recall, Marlin always managed to foist the most dangerous assignments on Jim. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Now that was a great show! I can still hum that theme song and see Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler in my mind's eye.

As I recall, Marlin always managed to foist the most dangerous assignments on Jim. Big Grin

Marlin was a smart guy…

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Saw the Africa Texas Style movie, didn't know there was a TV show.

I don't think Chuck Conners was in the movie.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom was by far my favorite show as a kid. Every Sunday evening I was watching Wild Kindom.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another old fart that grew up
with these old shows.

They seemed nearly real back then.

Hell, what about Gene Autry's Flying A Ranch??

Anyone besides me know where it is yet?

East of Pueblo CO, hwy 50, just west of Fowler
Then south on 62nd lane, and back east a bit.

Last I was there hunting antelope and shooting prairie dogs Mike Majors owned it. One big short grass pasture of 20,000 acres. One fence down the middle to keep cows and horses apart.

Place that adjoins on the South is 40,000 and not a fence on it.

The Flying A Bunkhouse is a mile away on 62nd Lane. That's the tallest barn I've ever seen. Bet it's a 100' tall.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Marlin was a smart guy…

I am not sure how smart ole Marlin was. When I think of this show I remember an episode when Marlin was wrestling an anaconda in a pond. Jim had to "rescue" him at one point. It was my favorite show as a kid but Marlin did push the macho stuff at time!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote