New
Find
Notify
Tools

pfffffffffffft
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i just watched on track so guy using a drone to spot game barf thumbdown 2020 CRYBABY

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in Minnesota was it? :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is there a trophy fee on drones??????/

Wink

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This ranks right up there with those using that new contraption which hits the target at any distance - the sort of fire and forget thing.

I had a friend suggest we get one for hunting.

I told him that is the last thing I need in a hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66930 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:

Wink

...................................................................Good practice for snapp shooting! Down in flames.

Better not try that stunt in Alaska and get cought!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I do have a great old Ithaca Mag 10, autoloading 10 gauge magnum shotgun.

It would be perfect for this kind of thing - drones inside 60 yards would be electronics at risk.

The new age geese.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well not my cup of tea to be sure, but I thought we were suppose to support all forms of "hunting" as long as it is legal? Think I have seen that on here about a thousand times.

So........... if this is legal why the bitchin?

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
This ranks right up there with those using that new contraption which hits the target at any distance - the sort of fire and forget thing.

and compared to more primitive hunting tool methods your modern superfast .375 bullet travels conveniently flat like a 'laser'.

I believe you are all for the idea of gaining modern advantage over an animal,... but now you object?

quote:
There are a lot of ways one can classify hunting - non is necessarily right or wrong....

Bottom line is, if it takes your fancy, and it is legal, do it.

And don't pay a hoot to what anyone else says.

Just enjoy YOUR hunt

Modern rifles, rifle scopes,Spotting scopes, binos, thermal image devices,trail cams, GPS,illuminated recticles,etc,.. all make life easier,
....now also camera drones , (should it float ones boat).

quote:
It is his hunt, and he and his professional hunter can decide how to hunt.

It is no business of anyone sitting thousands of miles away and criticizing!

Yet now you are criticising anyone using drones - and your feverishly critical 'anti-Mark Sullian & clients' campaign of posts
number in the hundreds!!!

If one can send a game scout forward with binos, then why not send up a camera-drone to see out over a ridge?
-- Are you gaining any unfair or unsporting advantage by doing so?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been wanting to buy one for my PH. Not to hunt with but for poachers.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Been wanting to buy one for my PH. Not to hunt with but for poachers.

Would one be able to fit and remotely operate some kind of aimed firepower device onto such an anti-poacher drone? Now that is my idea of the correct use of modern technology! Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Well not my cup of tea to be sure, but I thought we were suppose to support all forms of "hunting" as long as it is legal? Think I have seen that on here about a thousand times.

In Norway it is forbidden to use drones for hunting purpose.

Posts: 93 | Location: Norway | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help me with this.

I'm trying to remember.

Spotting game from an Airplane is illegal in Alaska. Isn't there also some rule that you cannot fly in and hunt the same day ?

Game rules are spotty and checkered.

How about baiting bears, a common practice in some areas.

Baiting deer is illegal in most places.

Turkey decoys and calls are legal.

Shooting coyotes at night and using lights.

Sitting geese on water cannot be shot.

Mowing down Giraffes with automatic weapons from a moving jeep is illegal.

Farmers in New Jersey can shoot deer of either sex any time on their property without license.

Shooting deer at night, using spot lights and from the back decks of homes is legal by specialty, licensed exterminators where the deer are is overabundance and eating the shrubs and bushes.

On the West Point military academy ranges the first day of deer hunting is reserved for officers only and bucks are taken. Thereafter civilians licensed can hunt but does only. If a buck is shot the civilian is banned for 2 years.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHO:
quote:

In Norway it is forbidden to use drones for hunting purpose.

It's illegal here to.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:

Wink

This! FOR THE WIN! x1,000!!!

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I've said many times and I'll reiterate it here, if I've hiked in several miles to hunt an area or drainage and a drone with a camera comes over the ridge, I'll shoot it down and deal with the consequences - if there are any.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure the poachers would shoot at it too. But I suspect they might not be able to hit it and Africans being Africans, it would totally screw with their minds -- not just the poachers, but everyone in the village.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iF poachers were that ignorant & niave you could keep them away with abit of primitive voodoo,
but reality is they are far more worldly than that and thus require well armed guards to help keep them off rhino.

http://static1.squarespace.com...05DC-769_634x402.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The show I saw was about videographer Andy McDonald.
It was an inside look at how the videographers get their shots.
Drones are used for overhead shots of many things, boats going down the river & shots of hippos on an island for instance.
I never saw it used in a hunting situation.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I don't think armed civilian drones are going to happen but I think they can give you a visual and GPS coordinate, which could bring arms to bear fairly quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax misunderstands my point. I am not saying they are children or think this is magic. I'm just saying that knowing they were being watched would have an effect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry about my misunderstanding.

In regards to Drones for hunting,
Its not a case of spotting ones quarry by drone and then just easily running over the hill & through the trees to shoot the beast.
IF only it was really that easy... Roll Eyes ...
rather,
The anti-drone argument in the US, is that it gives an unfair disadvantage to those hunting without assistance of a drone.

Imagine you have a powerful spotting scope and another Hunter doesn't.....
You are able to more easily assess an animal without the miles & hrs of tracking the other unaided hunter might have to employ.
but you are allowed to use such technical advantage.

So,-- WHATs the diff. between zooming in on an animal in with the huge spot scope, (vs) sending a drone across to take a closer look?....
either way, one is using the convenience of technology to potentially reduce the amount of time & effort
put into attaining your game animal.

TO be honest, I think someone with an accurate scoped .300 Weatherby already has a technical advantage
over a bow, pistol or open sight rifle hunter.....but we seem to be much more accepting of such differences of choice.

I guess an issue would be if people were tempted to use drones to pursue/chase/herd animals,
but in general application, animals are not much spooked or phased by a drone which is just enquiring on them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine for poachers, not for animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it should be made clear that anyone who is not out in the woods naked with just a homemade spear,
has an unnatural & unfair advantage!... rotflmo

I wonder how many who oppose drones for use in hunting , happily go fishing with the use of modern finders.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know about every place but is not legal in Alaska. In fact it is not legal to fly and shoot on the same day, or to radio from an airplane to tell hunters on the ground where game is! It may be legal in your part of the world and it would surprise me if it is.

................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying over rugged heavily foliaged terrain then being dropped on a river bed or ledge
to then go successfully hunt on foot the game you may have spotted some distance away from the air,
is not as easy as some might believe.

IF by some chance you spotted game some ridges and gullies back in this kind of country...

To be dropped in a small distant remote patch like THIS..

...or down HERE.

or this high flatspot

You still have quite a serious challenge to go bag a game animal with your rifle or bow that you may have sighted
a couple nautical miles back or more (and thats only as the crow flies!)