Find
Notify
Tools

uses for trophy horns
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted
Not sure if this is something asked before, but has anyone used african animal horns for knife handles or pistol grips on handguns? If so, which ones work well? I have a few extras laying around and wondering if it would be something worthwhile trying.

Thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
You always hear someone say “well you can’t antlers”. No, but you can stir a pot of chilli with em.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
An old friend of mine, some of you might remember him from our safaris, Horst, used horns for his knife handles.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always shoot a deer in MN for meat; sometimes I shoot a nice one but more often than not it might be a dink in the antler dept. One year my son in law too one of the antlers about the size of a roebuck and made a beer bottle opener. Sits on the bar in my trophy room.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I am more looking for useabbility of African horns. Kudu, spring buck, blesbok, wildebeest.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2576 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine made me a pen from buffalo horn. Turned it on a lathe. Looks nice and I enjoy using it.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
just-a-hunter made my son a fantastic custom knife using the horn or an oryx he killed here in New Mexico. It turned out great.

I have several custom predator calls made from springbok horns. They work just fine.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
I am more looking for useabbility of African horns. Kudu, spring buck, blesbok, wildebeest.

Just trying to give an example; it doesn't matter what you use as long as it small. Make a bottle opener from a springbok or blesbok horn - fill it in with bedding material and insert the metal opener.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a .50 caliber flintlock long rifle, possibles bag, powder horn and tomahawk above and on the mantle above my fireplace.

My rifle is mounted on the antlers of a whitetail deer, the first big game animal I ever killed. He was an old buck. A four pointer with well-brooded tines.

It means a lot to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Long ago I made a powder measure for one of my muzzleloaders out of the tip of an antelope horn - still have it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Kudu horn as a cork screw...

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big cork screw, but might be something to mount on the wall behind a bar. I'll keep hunting buffalo but don't need any more of them as trophys. Maybe I can find a knife maker that needs handles.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good bit of those hollow horns can be split with a saw, boiled and flattened to make handles and a good deal of things. Just boil till soft, squeeze a vise.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a spare kudu horn you can make a bugle from it, the traditional Shofar horn of the Jewish faith: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6...et-natural-kudu-plus

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arno Bernard does something neat with the core of kudu horns -- those porous bony cores. He fills those voids with a resin and then grinds the whole thing down to a handle. Every handle is unique. Kind of different.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Grind them up and sell them to the Chinese.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Andrew, I don't think he meant rhino horns.

Although, if I could pass off antelope horns for rhino, I would be a very rich man. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have a spare kudu horn you can make a bugle from it, the traditional Shofar horn of the Jewish faith: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6...et-natural-kudu-plus

I have one, but it was not made as a Jewish Shofar. It was a Kudu Horn that I had made into a horn that was used call the patrols and troop together for a Boy Scout Wood Badge Adult Training Course 25 years ago, and for which I was the Course Director. Big Grin Those in the know will understand. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we grind anything to sell to the Chinese, can we include a healthy dose of cyanide or strychnine? Kill the demand. Only way to stop poaching.

One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
I picked up a few oryx horns on trips to Namibia. Some have turned into whistles. I gave some to a knife maker in Croatia and he has so far turned out one knife using oryx horn in the handle.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote