The Accurate Reloading Forums
uses for trophy horns

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/8641093062

01 July 2020, 19:50
hikerbum
uses for trophy horns
Not sure if this is something asked before, but has anyone used african animal horns for knife handles or pistol grips on handguns? If so, which ones work well? I have a few extras laying around and wondering if it would be something worthwhile trying.

Thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
01 July 2020, 21:24
tomahawker
You always hear someone say “well you can’t antlers”. No, but you can stir a pot of chilli with em.
01 July 2020, 21:36
Saeed
An old friend of mine, some of you might remember him from our safaris, Horst, used horns for his knife handles.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
01 July 2020, 22:35
AnotherAZWriter
I always shoot a deer in MN for meat; sometimes I shoot a nice one but more often than not it might be a dink in the antler dept. One year my son in law too one of the antlers about the size of a roebuck and made a beer bottle opener. Sits on the bar in my trophy room.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

02 July 2020, 02:02
hikerbum
I am more looking for useabbility of African horns. Kudu, spring buck, blesbok, wildebeest.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
02 July 2020, 02:05
kevin henderson
A friend of mine made me a pen from buffalo horn. Turned it on a lathe. Looks nice and I enjoy using it.
kh
02 July 2020, 02:40
DesertRam
just-a-hunter made my son a fantastic custom knife using the horn or an oryx he killed here in New Mexico. It turned out great.

I have several custom predator calls made from springbok horns. They work just fine.

02 July 2020, 02:47
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
I am more looking for useabbility of African horns. Kudu, spring buck, blesbok, wildebeest.

Just trying to give an example; it doesn't matter what you use as long as it small. Make a bottle opener from a springbok or blesbok horn - fill it in with bedding material and insert the metal opener.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

02 July 2020, 06:34
Michael Robinson
I have a .50 caliber flintlock long rifle, possibles bag, powder horn and tomahawk above and on the mantle above my fireplace.

My rifle is mounted on the antlers of a whitetail deer, the first big game animal I ever killed. He was an old buck. A four pointer with well-brooded tines.

It means a lot to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
02 July 2020, 09:47
Cougarz
Long ago I made a powder measure for one of my muzzleloaders out of the tip of an antelope horn - still have it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
02 July 2020, 15:34
drongo
I use a Kudu horn as a cork screw...

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
03 July 2020, 07:24
lavaca
Big cork screw, but might be something to mount on the wall behind a bar. I'll keep hunting buffalo but don't need any more of them as trophys. Maybe I can find a knife maker that needs handles.
03 July 2020, 08:12
Jerry Fisk
A good bit of those hollow horns can be split with a saw, boiled and flattened to make handles and a good deal of things. Just boil till soft, squeeze a vise.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com
05 July 2020, 03:22
Stonecreek
If you have a spare kudu horn you can make a bugle from it, the traditional Shofar horn of the Jewish faith: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6...et-natural-kudu-plus
07 July 2020, 07:38
lavaca
Arno Bernard does something neat with the core of kudu horns -- those porous bony cores. He fills those voids with a resin and then grinds the whole thing down to a handle. Every handle is unique. Kind of different.
08 July 2020, 12:25
fairgame
Grind them up and sell them to the Chinese.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal
09 July 2020, 05:48
Michael Robinson
Andrew, I don't think he meant rhino horns.

Although, if I could pass off antelope horns for rhino, I would be a very rich man. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
09 July 2020, 06:41
Use Enough Gun
quote:
If you have a spare kudu horn you can make a bugle from it, the traditional Shofar horn of the Jewish faith: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6...et-natural-kudu-plus

I have one, but it was not made as a Jewish Shofar. It was a Kudu Horn that I had made into a horn that was used call the patrols and troop together for a Boy Scout Wood Badge Adult Training Course 25 years ago, and for which I was the Course Director. Big Grin Those in the know will understand. Big Grin
09 July 2020, 08:08
lavaca
If we grind anything to sell to the Chinese, can we include a healthy dose of cyanide or strychnine? Kill the demand. Only way to stop poaching.
09 July 2020, 10:55
SIKA98K
I picked up a few oryx horns on trips to Namibia. Some have turned into whistles. I gave some to a knife maker in Croatia and he has so far turned out one knife using oryx horn in the handle.