THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Safari guide lies down in front of an elephant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari guide lies down in front of an elephant
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
check the guys respiration rate as the critter approaches.....

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Some people bungee jump and free-climb too...I am just not one of them. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36502 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As one who loves irony, I cannot help pointing out that the guide, who is clearly an idiot, actually said this: ". . . lying in front of an elephant should not be attempted by idiots."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
As one who loves irony, I cannot help pointing out that the guide, who is clearly an idiot, actually said this: ". . . lying in front of an elephant should not be attempted by idiots."

Who else do you reckon he thinks is going to consider it?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9535 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
As one who loves irony, I cannot help pointing out that the guide, who is clearly an idiot, actually said this: ". . . lying in front of an elephant should not be attempted by idiots

Who else do you reckon he thinks is going to consider it?

Only idiots would consider it! How many years experience did Johnny Uyss have before a cow ground him into the topsoil?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
This is a case of knowing how to read an animal's body language. Is it flaring its ears, has it raised its head in a threatening posture, is it kicking up dust with its feet etc.

Only people with that kind of in depth knowledge of the animals can try such stunts.

The case of experienced people getting killed is usually a freak incident.

The case of idiots getting killed are 2 examples I know of from India. One was a British Tea executive who was out hunting with a friend (6.5 Mannlicher Schoenauer in hand) in the early 1960s and they came across a bull elephants. This Brit just threw his hat at the elephants to chase it away and it charged and killed him. My dad was Chief wildlife warden or District officer at that time.

The second example is all over the internet now - A guy got out of his safari vehicle and ran up to an elephant to take a selfie!. He was probably less than 30 meters. The elephant charged him and stomped him. His kids were screaming and crying. His wife jumped out and ran at the elephant and tried to chase it. She is lucky she did not get killed.

I know personally of 2 other incidents which were freak accidents. In the 1980s a very experienced Wildlife officer was killed by a young cow that was surprised at close range around a large tree. It just ran blindly and hit him with its trunk and that took his arm and shoulder off!

The second one was very close to home - my brother in law had a handyman in his factory which was located outside the city and he got killed on the road at night by a cow elephant with calf. The city had expanded to far that it was encroaching on ancient migration routs of the elephant herd.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote