THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    This L.A. hunter killed an elephant. Now he’s a PETA target in bid to end trophy hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This L.A. hunter killed an elephant. Now he’s a PETA target in bid to end trophy hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.latimes.com/califo...ing-la-man-is-target

Link has article and video of his elephant hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It should be a CRIME when an organization targets anyone who has not done anything illegal!

PETA is nothing but a soft terrorist organization!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hear comments from our Liberal members here who say that the Left isn't trying to stop hunting and gun ownership

Saeed, THIS is why I am voting for Trump

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be a CRIME when an organization targets anyone who has not done anything illegal!

+1
In today's climate, where anti gun/hunting people are just waiting for any excuse to attack either guns or hunters, some publicity restraint on the part of the hunters might avoid a great deal of the attention and attacks.
For instance, Facebook is the last place to post anything controversial unless you are looking for attention or an argument. This forum seems to me to be a much safer place for such postings and is used largely by hunters.
For what it is worth, filming and or showing only a clean one shot kill is all I even like to see in a hunting video and if I, a hunter, do not enjoy watching the long drawn out extermination of living things, then what can we expect from the Snowflakes of the world?
Exactly what happened with Cecil the Lion and with this poor, dumb Dumbo!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
quote:

+1
In today's climate, where anti gun/hunting people are just waiting for any excuse to attack either guns or hunters, some publicity restraint on the part of the hunters might avoid a great deal of the attention and attacks.
For instance, Facebook is the last place to post anything controversial unless you are looking for attention or an argument. This forum seems to me to be a much safer place for such postings and is used largely by hunters.
For what it is worth, filming and or showing only a clean one shot kill is all I even like to see in a hunting video and if I, a hunter, do not enjoy watching the long drawn out extermination of living things, then what can we expect from the Snowflakes of the world?

I totally agree with that!

Nobody wants to see an Elephant dying, moaning, and gurgling.

Stupid

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

Truer words have never been spoken! I have always felt social media will be our downfall... Restraint on our part would go a long way!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
I would like to know why all the hunting organizations don't look into PETA"s finances..
We keep getting hit over the head and taking our lumps. Follow the money !!!!!

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:

+1

I totally agree with that!

Nobody wants to see an Elephant dying, moaning, and gurgling.

Stupid

It is a part of hunting... the ugly dying and blood and guts hanging all over.
These people will use anything to stop hunting all together
Any of you who are afraid to show that might as well quit hunting

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
PETA video of trophy hunter paid $30K to kill elephant in South Africa

By Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com at 5:41 PM UTC on 03 August 2020

A California trophy hunter who killed an elephant and ate a piece of it for dinner says he's being abused online after PETA released video of his hunt as it promotes a state bill seeking to ban the importation and possession of endangered African animals.

Aaron Raby, who describes himself as a 'blue-collar' crane operator from Los Angeles, paid more than $30,000 for a South Africa hunting trip to shoot and kill the tusked elephant and paid roughly $10,000 to have its head preserved as a souvenir of his expedition.

On Monday the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) released video of Raby’s kill in a bid to pressure lawmakers to pass new legislation, Senate Bill 1175, which seeks to ban Raby and other hunters from ever getting and keeping such trophies. 

His elephant head is still being prepared by a taxidermist in South Africa.
The legislation seeks to ban the importation and possession of animal parts from a list of endangered and threatened African species, including elephants, lions and rhinos. 
The bill has already passed in the state Senate and is expected to pass the Assembly on Tuesday. 

'I don’t understand why this is anybody’s business but my own,' Raby said to the Los Angeles Times. 'What I did is legal. I didn’t break a law. They’re going to place a ban because a bunch of ... crybabies that don’t like hunting.'

It’s been a long road for California which passed similar legislation in the Assembly and Senate two years ago, but the bill was vetoed by then-Gov. Jerry Brown who called the trophy ban 'unenforceable'.

Democratic Sen. Henry Stern is championing the new bill.

'It’s time to wake up and realize that we’re in the middle of a mass extinction event,' he said.

He says he’s confident Gov. Gavin Newsom will sign this year’s bill.

This year the Trump administration approved the import of a lion trophy from Tanzania, marking the first approval since lions began receiving protections in January 2016 as a threatened species.

Raby is a hunter who has faced public criticism, even threats and harassment, after he posted himself with a lion he killed in the past.

The video shared by PETA shows a lone young elephant walking in a hunting ground near Kruger National Park, where elephants are protected. The hunting area and park are not separated by a fence meaning animals can become vulnerable by crossing into the wrong territory. 

Raby points his gun and shoots and when he fires the elephant falls to its knees and the group of hunters move in closer.

Over the course of the video Raby shoots the elephant four more times —  with three more hitting the animal’s head and nearing the animal for close-range shots. It’s unknown how many shots it took for the elephant to die.

In the clip the elephant is seen breathing heavily and struggling to get up.   

The video ends with a pic of Raby posing over the slain animal.

Raby reportedly ate a piece of the elephant with a side of sliced tomato and avocado for dinner after the kill.

PETA is requesting South Africa officials investigate Raby’s hunt and the prolonged death of the elephant.

PETA argues that the kill violated the preserve's requirement that animals are provided with 'ethical and humane' treatment and that guides comply 'with the highest moral and ethical standards in recognition of a reverence for life and good sportsmanship.'

In Raby’s hunting career he has killed hundreds of animals across North America, Africa, Europe and Russia. 

On his Instagram page, which he has made private, he posted pictures of his hunting trips including shots of a dead wolverine and Raby hugging a dead leopard.

The elephant was his last conquest in the African 'Big Five' quest after he already killed a lion, rhinoceros, Cape buffalo and leopard.
But Raby argues what he’s doing isn’t wrong.

He says he’s not hunting for the kill but for the overall adventure of living outdoors, tracking an animal and immersing himself in the wild.
'We pay a lot of money to hunt these animals. If we didn’t hunt, that land would be converted into cattle ranches and there’d be poaching. They don’t want lions killing their cattle or elephants destroying their crops,' he said.

He argued that lions regularly kill agricultural and pastoral animals and elephants are known to destroy homes and crops.

'We’re not all bloodthirsty, psycho machines that people make us out to be,' he said. 

'I promise you, I can read an animal better than someone who is against hunting. They say they like animals, but they don’t know anything about them.'
Raby says he'll leave California if the new legislation gets passed. 

Some hunting organizations argue that there are successful trophy-hunting conservation preserves such as in Namibia and Zimbabwe where the proceeds from international hunting trips are used to conserve wildlife habitats and employ people from the local communities.

However, Craig Packer, a biology professor and director of the University of Minnesota’s lion research center, says money for hunting expeditions don’t come close to the funds needed to conserve biodiversity and manage a habitat. A lion hunt can range from $20,000 to $70,000.

Corruption also makes it hard to trace the money and how hunts are regulated.

'Many of these hunting preserves are fly-by-night operations. Business owners swoop in, sell big takes, and leave. They aren’t in it for the long term,' he said.

Adrian Treves, a conservation biologist at the University of Wisconsin and director of the Carnivore Coexistence Laboratory, says there’s no evidence supporting the idea that hunting promotes biodiversity, habit conservation, or local employment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not fear, just good taste.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

It is a crime to target/harass hunters in Texas.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not fear, just good taste.

Still part of hunting and every time we give an inch they will take a mile
There is no such a thing as “ clean killing “

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
He might as well have painted a target on his back.

Trouble is, he painted one on all of our backs.

Not to say that the anti-hunting idiots are right. Not at all.

Just let’s not make it easy for them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I don't blame anyone getting upset with that pathetic display from everyone concerned, Jesus Christ couldn't he brain an animal at that range or the PH at least do it for him. Too busy picking up and stopping his empties ejecting after each shot, PH should have gone up to it and pinned a cross on the side of its head for the idiot to shoot at. Then to post it all over social media, "I hunt not for the kill but to enjoy the hunt" or words to that effect. He couldn't fucking kill it cleanly and then posts on social media to what, hey look at me. Half the world did and wasn't impressed idiot.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

He might as well have painted a target on his back.

Trouble is, he painted one on all of our backs.

Not to say that the anti-hunting idiots are right. Not at all.

Just let’s not make it easy for them.

That's the problem that so many hunters fail to understand. Sharing your hunting videos and pictures via social media opens you (and unfortunately the rest of the hunting community) to the world and the world is full of psychopaths. And the psychopaths will go out of their way to attack you in every way possible to inflict as much damage as they possibly can. But the ego driven look-at-me chest beaters want to be recognized and cannot seem to help themselves.

It's no surprise why so many of us do not post personal information on the Internet. It's only going to end badly in a world of psychopaths. Posting your personal information is simple, attempting to erase it once it is out there is impossible.

At least a bad tattoo can be erased...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without trying to change topics - have you noticed that over the last several years hunting firms have begun removing pictures of their clients with trophies on their websites? Obviously, they're concerned about their clients becoming targets.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
We already lost the war simply because we don’t fight back

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cannot fight ignorance, hysteria, and psychopaths. That's the problem. There still is a middle ground, but they are not the problem. It's the lunatic fringe like PETA and the progressives that no amount of discussion will ever sway their opinion. To them, hunting and hunters are evil and must be destroyed. Period.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And no amount of middle ground will appease them
I don’t put any hunting pics on social media anymore but I will not criticize any hunter who does even if it is bloody mess
Hunting is killing and killing is a bloody mess...

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
You cannot fight ignorance, hysteria, and psychopaths. That's the problem. There still is a middle ground, but they are not the problem. It's the lunatic fringe like PETA and the progressives that no amount of discussion will ever sway their opinion. To them, hunting and hunters are evil and must be destroyed. Period.

Just like liberals in general........

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Nobody knows this better than I do. Both my mother and sister are big time PITA members(I call it a cult). When I present them with having 10,000 elephants killed to save 100,000 elephants from starvation, they disagree will killing period. They say it better to have nature take its course, which means all elephants die. This tells me they don’t care about the animal but about the stopping of hunting. How can we win against this mentality. Frowner

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to beat stupidity!

But we can't quit trying!

Your women folks aren't pro animal, they are anti hunting! You can not reason with insanity!

Sorry guy.....

Kinda like our liberals.....estrogen causes brain damage.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
I would love to hear comments from our Liberal members here who say that the Left isn't trying to stop hunting and gun ownership

Saeed, THIS is why I am voting for Trump

100%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get that the antis will hate us no matter what, but videos like this make it so easy to sway the opinions of the otherwise indifferent. And any PH worth a damn would have finished the job after the first flubbed attempt by the client. It is his ethical obligation to do so and would have taken the shine off the hunt for only the smallest-peckered of clients.

I'll add that most of this crap that hurts us so bad--canned lions, Cecil, and now this--comes with South African PHs involved, whether in South Africa or elsewhere (especially elsewhere, actually). There are some fine PHs out of the country, for sure, but so many bad apples looking to bend the rules for a quick buck--or just lacking in values.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samir:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Nobody knows this better than I do. Both my mother and sister are big time PITA members(I call it a cult). When I present them with having 10,000 elephants killed to save 100,000 elephants from starvation, they disagree will killing period. They say it better to have nature take its course, which means all elephants die. This tells me they don’t care about the animal but about the stopping of hunting. How can we win against this mentality. Frowner

This is something that causes steam to shoot out my ears. Hunting was one of the if not the first human activities. When did humans hunting in these folks mind quit being part of nature. Nature at large and human nature.

Our hunting is a natural and part of the design fabric of this world as a lion hunting. Ask an impala would he rather be eaten alive by a pack of wild dogs, or shot through the heart and grilled. He would answer neither.

Guess what folks humans hunt, eat meat, evolved to kill the largest animals while being pretty pathetic physically.

I hate this world. Over 40 genders (be whatever you want. I don’t give a damn. Be honest about it) but humans hunting is unnatural (I care about this insanity).

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cancel Culture

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see..circle the wagons! Never admit that there is any problem etc. etc. Now, it may well be true that committed PETA members want to eliminate hunting altogether. It may well be true that they are all "liberals", commies, far left, whatever.. That does not mean that we should not police ourselves. Only two posts above have attempted that. Back in the day, when I first joined AR, there was plenty of discussion about the need for clean kills, "using enough gun", using the right bullets for DG etc. etc. Now I find out that hunting is messy and so I don't have to worry about all that stuff! Well BULLSHIT! Hunting IS messy if you don't do your part. Now, I don't have the Africa experience that you guys have. I have only been there once, and that was for a plains game hunt, but, I was preparing for a DG hunt (which never happened). So, I studied my copy of "The Perfect Shot", reloaded my 375 H&H and 450NE using the best available Woodleigh's, and GS Custom's solids. Practiced off shooting sticks etc. etc.
Obviously the hunter wanted his hunt videotaped. if that had been my video I would have deleted it. There is nothing there that I would want to see again myself, or anyone else for that matter.
So, by all means go on and on about the anti hunting mentality and how it is obviously all their fault. You will lose in the long run. And that would be a pity.
The power of that video is simple: Anyone with half a brain will be screaming "finish it off. Finish it off". But not you guys! Hunting is an old human pursuit, because you had to in order to survive. That is NOT true now for the average American. That is why we (well most of us) don't go out and kill the first thing that moves! We want a larger animal. We want a "trophy" (look up the meaning of the word), and, for some of us anyway, we actually want to hunt it ie. look for it, stalk it, get in position for a "clean kill" etc. etc. You, know, all the usual mumbo jumbo that we tell non hunters, but don't really mean! Right?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes things don’t go right. Truth there.

But why is this video out on social media?

I admit that I do some hunt reports and post them here.

Why I do it is because I enjoy the literary exercise.

I don’t expect recognition from it.

Why do people publically post videos of hunts that went sideways?

I don’t know.

I do personally feel that most videos are put out there for reasons other than reminiscing.

If I ever do have a hunt professionally taped, no way I would post it.

Share it with like minded friends, sure, but not electronically.

Too much bad crap happens with videos, it’s too easy to take things out of context.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever do have a hunt professionally taped, no way I would post it.

Agreed!

A friend did me the favor of having his college student son video me shooting a running Bison a few years ago. For me, the only part worth viewing was my 45-90 shot that dropped the running bison. That and the fact that my guide was so surprised at the effect of the bullet that he called the company that loaded it to confirm the velocity. Smiler

Even I found the rest of the video well done, but boring. If I could edit it, I would separate the shot clip as evidence of the effectiveness of good shot placement with the right bullet- nothing more.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by Saeed: It should be a CRIME when an organization targets anyone who has not done anything illegal!

Originally posted by Safari Specialty Importers:
I would like to know why all the hunting organizations don't look into PETA"s finances..
We keep getting hit over the head and taking our lumps. Follow the money !!!!!

It's always about the money. Millions of weak minded mental midgets paying coin to scheming con artists brings any agenda to the front burner, and friends, the pot is boiling over.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can educate ignorance,
You can medicate crazy,
But,
You can't fix stupid!

Life's too short to hunt with ugly guns

Posts: 51 | Location: E. AL | Registered: 27 May 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
We already lost the war simply because we don’t fight back

That is correct....

This hunter is foolish posting his poor shooting on media. Yet, he can do as he chooses. But, be prepared to fight when you do. He obviously is not. Should be taking the fight to the enemy and never compromise....

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to the hunter.We all make mistakes.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ready Aim Shoot:

Bullshit, yes we all make mistakes but don't post them on social media for all the world to see, in this case an animal slowly dying and suffering. I've hunted for decades, shooting a lot of animals and have had to finish off wounded birds and animals every now and again so pretty much used to the realities of all things hunting but that performance in the video sickened me.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Bullshit indeed. Roll Eyes

Say what you will about the gent in this article, but know this.

The L.A.Times and P.E.T.A. were not entirely forthcoming in how they obtained the video footage of this elephant hunt.

Apparently, it was shared by the outfitter with a
"prospective client" who was not, needless to say, what they appeared to be.

So those of you who jumped the gun here for whatever reason, and piled on this elephant hunter for sharing the video "all over" social media, should take note, he didn't.

I think there are a number of lessons to be learned here.

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ready Aim Shoot:

tu2

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:

The L.A.Times and P.E.T.A. were not entirely forthcoming in how they obtained the video footage of this elephant hunt.

So those of you who jumped the gun here for whatever reason, and piled on this elephant hunter for sharing the video "all over" social media, should take note, he didn't.

Yes, and the first lesson should be that we all did just fine before videoing hunts became a thing. Imagine the problems hunters would not have if so many just skipped videoing their hunts and putting them on social media. While I do enjoy watching ‘well done’ videos, so many are the opposite and would be better off if nobody ever saw them.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good story but doesn't change for one bit the actions of the hunter and the PH involved, it is what it is as seen in the video. All the poorer if the PH 'shared' the video with prospective client, I would have thought the hunter would have control over who has access to 'his' hunt video. If he thinks that video is good advertising for his PH to use then he is sadly mistaken.

Either way it shows what the world doesn't need to see and as some others have pointed out here, we can thump our chests as much as we like and say we have a right to do as we please provided it is legal but unfortunately the day is coming closer when we won't have the right to do as we please and no amount of chest thumping will stop that.

The only lessons to be learned in this case is for the hunter and his PH to not fuck things up for the rest of us who would like to see our grandkids able to freely hunt as many of us have had the privilege to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Good story but doesn't change for one bit the actions of the hunter and the PH involved, it is what it is as seen in the video. All the poorer if the PH 'shared' the video with prospective client, I would have thought the hunter would have control over who has access to 'his' hunt video. If he thinks that video is good advertising for his PH to use then he is sadly mistaken.

Either way it shows what the world doesn't need to see and as some others have pointed out here, we can thump our chests as much as we like and say we have a right to do as we please provided it is legal but unfortunately the day is coming closer when we won't have the right to do as we please and no amount of chest thumping will stop that.

The only lessons to be learned in this case is for the hunter and his PH to not fuck things up for the rest of us who would like to see our grandkids able to freely hunt as many of us have had the privilege to do.

Well said! tu2

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yup we will all gain from bashing the hunt now right. it was a legal hunt that was not perfect but we should stand up for the hunter not pick it apart. I am sure he wanted it to go better but shit happens.

yes I wish he did things different but it is over an that part can not be changed.

Posts: 554 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote