THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South Africa 603,338 Covid-19 cases 8-21-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa 603,338 Covid-19 cases 8-21-2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted
Reporting from John Hopkins University..

Country...............# Cases ...# deaths .....Population
Benin ...................2095 .........39 ...........12.1 million
Botswana ..............1308 ...........3 ............2.3 million
Burkina Faso .........1297 .........55 ...........20.9 million
Cameroon ...........18762 .......408 ...........26.5 million
Congo ..................3850 .........77 ..........5.5 million
DR Congo .............9802 .......248 ..........89.5 million
Ethiopia ...............37665 .......637 ........114.9 million
Kenya .................31763 .......532 ........53.7 million
Mozambique ..........3195 .........20 ........31.2 million
Namibia ................5227 .........42 ..........2.5 million
Nigeria................50964 ........992 ........206.1 million
South Africa ......603338 .....12618 .........59.3 million
Tanzania ................509 ..........21 ........59.7 million
Uganda ................1848 ..........19 ........45.7 million
Zambia ...............10627 ........277 ........18.3 million
Zimbabwe ............5815 .........152 ........14.8 million

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Wonder when they are gonna start BBQing Chinese

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
sorry to say, give it a couple of weeks ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
one good thing that will come from this virus is that China will have such a bad name in the world that they will be pushed back and stay where they belong.

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Something like 500 plus people died in Italy yesterday.

They are dying every 10 minutes.

The world is a rough place right now.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
one good thing that will come from this virus is that China will have such a bad name in the world that they will be pushed back and stay where they belong.

Don't believe that for a minute!

As long as there are African leaders for sale the Chinese will buy them. And as long as their are African leaders....they will be for sale.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truer words----

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Over 400 reported cases in South Africa. Many of us already in isolation and stocked up to the hilt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Having seen some of the 'infrastructure' in a couple African counties, I wonder just how good their stat collection is. Do they have a robust media doing 24/7 non-stop reporting on everything Covid-19 related?

Me thinks there is a lot more of it than they know or really want to report.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3273 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Over 400 reported cases in South Africa. Many of us already in isolation and stocked up to the hilt.

Its all over budy SA just more on top with the testing how ever to little to late......

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 400 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that the problem is that there is no reliable reporting to WHO from African countries.

This will for sure be a serious problem in the long run for the huntingsafari industry as the clients from the rest of the world have no confirmative statistics to rely on. Then the big issue is when are we safe to make a new booking ?

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

As long as there are African leaders for sale the Chinese will buy them. And as long as their are African leaders....they will be for sale.....

Spot on there JTEX..

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
I guess that the problem is that there is no reliable reporting to WHO from African countries.

This will for sure be a serious problem in the long run for the huntingsafari industry as the clients from the rest of the world have no confirmative statistics to rely on. Then the big issue is when are we safe to make a new booking ?

Morten

Sir To answer the question...Nr 1 witch government can you trust?? when are we safe of anything???I decided to live my life if I need to worry about malaria Ebola all the viruses in the world terrorist, planes crashing, some idiot with suicide ideas and the list goes on I would not have a life.... as soon as I can travel again and as soon as I have a client again I am hunting. This will pass like all the rest before it as well.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 400 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...except for lack of tourism...which in itself will be big.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...

Stats are meaningless if people are not being tested due to lack of test kits and/or qualified medical personnel.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Spot on there JTEX..

JTEX is spot on. Money talks in Africa. They have no memory and no concept of long term planning.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...except for lack of tourism...which in itself will be big.

I beg to differ. Africa will get hammered simply because the healthcare system there is pitiful and will be quickly overwhelmed. The disease growth rate is exponential. Two cases today ,4 tomorrow, 16 the next day and so on. Zim has about 50 ICU beds in the entire country with a population north of 14+ million. RSA not much better. Not to mention the fact that at least 25-35% of the population of sub Saharan Africa is immunocompromised with HIV. A recipe for disaster.... Eeker

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

I beg to differ. Africa will get hammered simply because the healthcare system there is pitiful and will be quickly overwhelmed. The disease growth rate is exponential. Two cases today ,4 tomorrow, 16 the next day and so on. Zim has about 50 ICU beds in the entire country with a population north of 14+ million. RSA not much better. Not to mention the fact that at least 25-35% of the population of sub Saharan Africa is immunocompromised with HIV. A recipe for disaster.... Eeker

This raises a bigger hunting question. Why would us or any other country that thru horrific economic cost has controlled covid (say may/June/July) allow its citizens to travel to zim or any other place in Africa? Why would say Emirates fly there ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe doctors and nurses down tools over lack of protective coronavirus gear
By Nyasha Chingono, CNN
Updated 3:36 PM ET, Wed March 25, 2020

Harare, Zimbabwe (CNN)Doctors and nurses in Zimbabwe are striking to protest the shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE) for health workers in the nation's hospitals, their unions said.

Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association spokesman Tapiwa Zvakada said doctors will not resume work until the government provides the proper gear they need for their protection while treating patients during the outbreak.

"We have decided to withdraw our services to allow for the administration to get requisite PPEs. We cannot continue to work without this. We also call upon the authorities to discuss with us the risk allowances because we are not spared by this disease," Zvakada.

Zimbabwe has recorded three cases of Covid-19, and one of the patients -- a popular broadcaster Zororo Makamba died on Monday at the Wilkins Infectious Diseases hospital in Harare.

Zimbabwe received a donation from the Jack Ma foundation that includes 200,000 test kits, 100,000 face masks and 10,000 protective suits for health workers, the health ministry said In a statement on Tuesday.

The Chinese government is currently building an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) unit at Wilkins hospital is for critical patients in the isolation facility, the minister said.

In a letter addressed to the government, Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association ( ZHDA), said the pandemic has not spared health workers and doctors working on the front-line need to be properly kitted to carry out their duties.

They are asking for N95 respirators, gowns, goggles and sanitizers when dealing with Covid-19 patients.
Nurses in the public hospitals who have also joined their strike on Wednesday said the health ministry have not responded to previous requests for PPE.

"It seems our concerns are not getting the urgency it deserves. So in that regard all nurses are withdrawing their services with immediate effect until there is genuine action taken by the employer," the Zimbabwe Professional Nurses Union said in a statement.

Health minister Obadiah Moyo said he was not available for comment when CNN contacted him on Wednesday.
he country's health sector has been hit by months of strikes and doctors often complain about not having enough medical supplies to treat patients fueling doubts among health workers about the country's ability to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe Public Doctors Strike Over Lack of COVID-19 Protection

BY FARAI MUTSAKA / AP MARCH 25, 2020

(HARARE, Zimbabwe) — Zimbabwe’s public hospital doctors went on strike Wednesday over a lack of protective gear as the coronavirus begins to spread in a country whose health system has almost collapsed. It’s the latest blow to a system where some patients’ families are asked to provide such basics as gloves and even clean water.

The Zimbabwe Hospital Doctors Association president, Tawanda Zvakada, said the hundreds of doctors are at “high risk” and will return to work when the government provides suitable protection: “Right now we are exposed and no one seems to care.”

The doctors returned to work in January after a four-month strike demanding better salaries and working conditions. Zimbabwe has reported three cases of COVID-19 and recorded its first death this week.

Neighboring South Africa’s coronavirus cases jumped to 709, its health minister said, as the country with Africa’s most cases prepared to go into lockdown first thing Friday.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize pointed out “intense local spread” in Free State province after a church gathering where five cases were first reported. All five recently traveled abroad. Now almost 30 cases are recorded.

Cases across Africa are now well above 2,400. With Mali, Libya and Guinea-Bissau announcing their first, 46 of the continent’s 54 countries have the virus.
As cases rose to 68 in Ghana, some people debated imposing a lockdown. “What are we going to eat?” asked Ali Seidu, a driver in the capital, Accra. Civil servant Abraham Ofei disagreed: “If they do not do it early, by the time they decide it will be too late.”

Some African leaders have scolded citizens for not adhering to prevention measures.

“Countrymen and women, I have gone ’round the city and I have seen for myself that many among us are not taking this COVID-19 seriously,” Zambian President Edgar Lungu said in Lusaka. “I have seen multitudes patronizing bars or freely hugging and shaking hands at funerals, contrary to health advice.” The country has 12 cases.

Congo became the latest to close its borders while reporting its third death. The sprawling nation has one of Africa’s weakest health systems and has been battling another global health emergency, an Ebola virus outbreak. While that could be within days of being declared over, Congo also faces a large measles outbreak.

As more African countries impose restrictions on gatherings and travel, many informal workers are suffering. Ethiopia’s government in a proposal to the Group of 20 major industrialized nations has said Africa needs a $150 billion emergency financing package because “COVID-19 poses an existential threat to the economies of African countries.”

South Africa has an unemployment rate of 29% and the lockdown will hit workers hard. But authorities fear what will happen if the virus sweeps through crowded low-income communities and public transport.

Teeming prisons are another worry across Africa. Ethiopia’s state broadcaster EBC cited the attorney general as saying more than 4,000 prisoners with minor offenses or children will be released.

African countries that have not recorded cases are Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Burundi, Malawi, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho and Sao Tome and Principe, according to the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some have the most fragile health systems on the continent.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough that clear up in two to three weeks. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia and death.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

We’ll see who is right in the end. My point is that Africa likely has been highly exposed some time ago and if it were going to go there...it likely would have already taken off.

Experts are already speculating why it has NOT as all who keep up know China likely exposed them heavily early on.

Theories as to why it hasn’t taken off in Africa:

1) average daily temp
2) wide spread use of anti-malarials
3) possible immunity from prevous exposure to this or a very similar virus from bushmeat.

Vic Falls has hab one positive case but it is in an Englishman who caught it in Europe and came to Vic Falls with it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Some African countries are slowly growing in cases.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Difficult to obtain up to date reporting.
Zimbabwe Dr. & Nurses are on strike.
South Africa is in lock down.

Botswana - 0
Benin - 6
Zambia - 35
Namibia - 11
Zimbabwe - 7
Mozambique - 7
Tanzania - 19
Congo - 19
DR Congo - 81
Cameroon - 139
Burkina Faso - 222
South Africa - 1280

I doubt seriously that those counts are accurate! there may be thousands dyeing in the bush. Drum beat aren't heard long distance!
I hope they are true, but I doubt they are!

…………...…….. diggin graves old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I can’t find a single person that knows of any spread through black African communities as of yet. If I am wrong someone correct me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

Administrator
posted Hide Post
In a way, I think they are better off, rather than being scared out of their brains like the rest of the world!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can’t find a single person that knows of any spread through black African communities as of yet. If I am wrong someone correct me.

Zambia announced today it is stable at 39 cases and 1 death. No new recorded cases today but these figures are probably way off the mark

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania is 20 for 1 and 3 recovered; I had half expected far worse but I must say the populace has reacted positively and containment is probably due to this sense of cooperation.

At almost every public gathering venue there are wash basins with disinfecting soap and hand sanitizers scattered everywhere; in some institutions and most supermarkets you get temperature tested before being permitted access(37.5 and its no entry).

Not a bad reaction for a lowly 3rd World African country. Cool

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An American MD said on TV this week that the primary underlying condition of his virus patients was obesity. He said the average BMI was 30.7. Most of his patients weighed over 100k with some being over 150k.

The secondary condition was diabetes. Many of his patients were either diabetic or pre diabetic.

Viruses tend to be more prevalent during cool/cold months. Much of Africa lies in the tropics.

Perhaps warm weather along with fewer obese and diabetic people will be the saving grace of Africa.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing is for certain - What was left of the economies of southern Africa are now finished.

In regards to the underlying health of southern Africans, most have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and gout, among the millions running around with HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malnutrition, etc, etc. Not the healthiest culture on the planet...

The average African diet consists of carbohydrates, sugar, vegetable oil and carbohydrates. Meat is a luxury not available to most and fresh vegetables are a unicorn and most refuse to eat them when they are available. Little wonder why anyone older than 45 is considered ancient. Funerals are their favorite pastime.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In Europe, so far, almost all death are old or very old people. Almost all deaths are people who have 1 or multiple preconditions.
Most of the people who die from corona here, would have never survived in Africa without out healthcare system.
If it stays like this, I can imagine that many African countries are not hit hard.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
It will spread rapidly throughout the large ghettos around the mines in South Africa. They all share big public bathrooms and will be difficult for them to social distance. I would think that people who already have aids would be at risk.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Difficult to obtain up to date reporting.
Zimbabwe Dr. & Nurses are on strike.
South Africa is in lock down.

Botswana - 4
Benin - 16
Zambia - 39
Namibia - 14
Zimbabwe - 9
Mozambique - 10
Tanzania - 20
Congo - 22
DR Congo - 148
Cameroon - 509
Burkina Faso - 318
South Africa - 1505

I will look for new updates.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that Zimbabwe probably only has 9 reported cases because they probably only had 9 test kitsWink

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard they only had one but reused it 8 times.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:

Morten

Sir To answer the question...Nr 1 witch government can you trust?? when are we safe of anything???I decided to live my life if I need to worry about malaria Ebola all the viruses in the world terrorist, planes crashing, some idiot with suicide ideas and the list goes on I would not have a life.... as soon as I can travel again and as soon as I have a client again I am hunting. This will pass like all the rest before it as well.

Absolutely

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We see the Wuhan virus ravaging New York City and New Orleans -- but not Cairo or Dar es Salaam. Why? Dar is essentially a 2.5 million person slum. Anyone who's ever been to Tanzania knows the very strong Chinese connection. They had to have been thoroughly exposed to the virus and from an early date. Their reporting of cases may not be as organized as in first world countries but if Dar would have had thousands of cases that would be very apparent. Clearly, there's some dynamic here that we don't understand.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Testing = No Cases

Without testing data and hospital surveillance feedback, no one has any idea to the extent COVID-19 is rampant or quiet in Africa. The WHO is reporting they only have 62 workers for the entire continent. So information is sketchy at best.

South America is seeing growing activity of COVID. But this is probably due to the fact that South America has a much better standard of healthcare and access to hospitals where testing and treatment is being conducted.

The flu season starts over the next few months on the African continent, so maybe then we will see infection rate data. Considering the rate of Tuberculosis infections in Africa (which is far less infectious than COVID-19), I do not see how Africans avoid the COVID pandemic. Considering the underlying poor health and infectious diseases within the population, they certainly are not the healthiest folks on the planet.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Forget Africa for a moment.

Other countries are showing so much variations in the ratio of deaths!

Some as high as 10% others as low as 0.2%!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
No Testing = No Cases

Without testing data and hospital surveillance feedback, no one has any idea to the extent COVID-19 is rampant or quiet in Africa. The WHO is reporting they only have 62 workers for the entire continent. So information is sketchy at best.

South America is seeing growing activity of COVID. But this is probably due to the fact that South America has a much better standard of healthcare and access to hospitals where testing and treatment is being conducted.

The flu season starts over the next few months on the African continent, so maybe then we will see infection rate data. Considering the rate of Tuberculosis infections in Africa (which is far less infectious than COVID-19), I do not see how Africans avoid the COVID pandemic. Considering the underlying poor health and infectious diseases within the population, they certainly are not the healthiest folks on the planet.

Prior immunity, unfavorable climate??? Or possibly the death-rate “increase” is too low to notice???

Chinese contamination of other populations was likely more rampant in Africa than anywhere else. They do seem the perfect population for it to spread like wildfire. Thus to me...it seems it should have taken off rampantly months ago there...if it were going to. I am skeptical it is going to have much effect in Africa.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDL:
We see the Wuhan virus ravaging New York City and New Orleans -- but not Cairo or Dar es Salaam. Why? Dar is essentially a 2.5 million person slum. Anyone who's ever been to Tanzania knows the very strong Chinese connection. They had to have been thoroughly exposed to the virus and from an early date. Their reporting of cases may not be as organized as in first world countries but if Dar would have had thousands of cases that would be very apparent. Clearly, there's some dynamic here that we don't understand.

If you look at the stats...I am not sure ravaging is the correct verb. Certainly it is not good and warranted precautions albeit my opinion is we have leapt off the deep-end in this country.

That said...I agree with your observations...see my other post.

It possibly could be that the “increase” in death numbers is so low and the symptoms so ambiguous that it goes unnoticed. Or it could be the things I mentioned in my other post.

J. Lane Easter, DVM