Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Pretty good website:

Safaribwana Buffalo Shot Placement

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nice page, Terry!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I agree. Nice find, Terry.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Excellant //

Couple more just to help out as well

Peter
-----------------

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I noticed that they also discussed trophy quality. This is a link to a post by Saeed with pictures of some buffalo with nice bosses. I can always use more help in judging buffalo trophy quality.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I notice a difference in the shot placement of picture #1 and #3 above. From the look of the internal organs on #1, it seems like #3 will almost miss the vitals. Any experienced buff hunters out there know which is best? I'll be hunting buff in two weeks in Zambia and the advice isn't just theoretical as far as I'm concerned.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G L Krause:
I notice a difference in the shot placement of picture #1 and #3 above. From the look of the internal organs on #1, it seems like #3 will almost miss the vitals. Any experienced buff hunters out there know which is best? I'll be hunting buff in two weeks in Zambia and the advice isn't just theoretical as far as I'm concerned.

From Terry's link:

quote:
This is a perfect shot with the heart exposed as the animal steps forward. Take care not to wait too long, shoot as soon as the leg is placed forward otherwise you'll be too late.

Don't take my word for it, as I have not been there or done that, but I think if the leg is moved forward it changes shot placement relative to the leg as the heart is exposed behind it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with GL, there is somthing wrong with Peters pictures, either #1 or #3. I think #3 is back too far for the heart.................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Number 3 above is, IMHO, slightly too far to the right. Shoot through to the opposite shoulder (right front) and it will be a good shot. If that buff's left front leg was extended out in front of him, then hitting just behind it would be correct. It looks to me like that the left front leg is straight and not extended. Wait for him to step forward with left front leg and put it right behind the leg and through the opposite shoulder.

In my limited experience, it is always (on side shots, especially when the buffalo is slightly angled) better to look for the opposite shoulder. If you concentrate on where to hit him based on his shoulder closest to you, then you may not notice the degree to which he is angled (either away or towards you). What looks like a pure broad-side shot may not be one. Look for his opposite front shoulder and that will give you an idea of where his heart is located.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Guests

FYI pictures I posted are from Man Magnum magazine //

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Look at the third and fourth pictures on the Safaribwana site. They appear to me to have the correct shot placement.

Also look at the seventh picture (oxpecker picture), I would move that shot slightly to the right. On the point of the right front shoulder so that it goes through the left front shoulder.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Look at the third and fourth pictures on the Safaribwana site.

Also look at the seventh picture (oxpecker picture), I would move that shot slightly to the right. On the point of the right front shoulder so that is goes through the left front shoulder.

Regards,

Terry

No argument here. Best I can tell, they were going for the leg-forward shot placement but didn't quite get it through to the artist. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys

Are we not getting a BIT PEDANTIC now Wink

Robertsons perfect shot is probly the OPTIMUM to go by /

BUT for what it's worth here is another skeletal too mull over.

Every publisher seems to have their own particular version to promote //

Essentially (WE ALL need to remember) these pictures shown ONLY give you a (general picture area) to aim for, and not a pin prick or dime to aim for ..

The first shot is or should be a SOFT so dont panic it will (take out the general surrounding area) therefore we can get into semantics and confuse everyone if we are not careful ///

Also the area can change very slightly if the animal is slightly angular, walking or stationary ... that is the joy of hunting Eeker

Just my opinion mind you

Peter

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Looking at this heart/lung shot placement

I would move that shot slightly to the right. Look how the buffalo is not purely straight-on. You can see his left side and hip. Their shot placement would kill him, but it certainly (at least to me) doesn't look like it is taking into account the slight angle.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I agree...I like the level they show you and the head is held high..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T.Carr

I agree with you 100%. IMHO, this shot is farther off than the #3 photo of the side heart shot. Both hind legs are to the right side of the front legs.

Mauser Rifle

Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Posts: 47 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I asked this same question a couple years ago and got beat severely about the head and shoulders, by a chicken shit Outfitter who is on my RED list. But God hates a coward!
I'll try again.
When your after buffalo, why not use a shot that will break bones, dropping it in its tracks? In Alaska, thats what we do with Brn Bear.
Why try for a killing heart/lung shot with the animal alive and still able to wreck havoc for a few minutes? If you hit the spinal column, he's on the ground. You can then go up and finish the job.
Is this impossible?
Maybe the spinal shot is harder
to make and the PHs figger the dude can hit the heart/lungs better?
Just courious.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of Comments

Kevin Robertson, and I dissected a couple of buffalo with an artist called Grant Nelon. Kevin used the drawing, posted by bala bala, in his first book and in a magazine article. It is correct anatomically as far as I am concerned. To stop the organs moving arround, we even stood one up in a blast freezer and then halved it with a saw.

The high shoulder shot is a favourite of a few hunters, but very few PH's. If you know what you are doing the buff goes down instantly. If you don't and the buff runs off, you have a 50/50 chance of a "wounded and lost" buff on the clients fees at the end of the hunt.

A good tracker will be able to follow a lung or gut shot buff until you get him, but a fluffed high shoulder shot... The wound soon stops bleeding, offers no impediment to movement, and doesn't make the animal limp or anything else to aid tracking.

Personaly- I use that shot myself when the animal is broadside. I don't mind the client using it, just appreciate that it is an "all or nothing" shot.

For a charge, or if the animal is standing facing me, I like an "under the chin" shot to break the spine if the animal is facing me Head up, or an "over the head" shot if it is grazing or badly hit and coming with the head held low.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
The high shoulder shot is a favourite of a few hunters, but very few PH's.

I used to take a pocket edition of Robertson's book on safari and every PH I showed it to said, "That shoulder shot is too high." I understand Robertson's logic in that he wants the disrupt the blood flow by hitting the "plumbing" at the top of the heart, but I have never met a PH who would recommend that shot.

Regards,

Terry