Find
Notify
Tools

EEI and EIN
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Just seeing that again forces me to pour another Martini....

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

This issue was discussed earlier but I can't find the thread now. My friend in CBP checked with his supervisor in Denver and with DC. There is no widespread requirement for any type of export permit for your rifles. You only need a 4457.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I'm still having another Martini :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
the now "recurring" problem
is many of us fly out of DFW----

this "isolated" "rogue" behavior is reminiscent
of Lois Lerner, James Comey, et al

someone Here @ DFW CBP needs a "talikin to"
from Senators and House rep's
maybe even a President

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
the now "recurring" problem
is many of us fly out of DFW----

this "isolated" "rogue" behavior is reminiscent
of Lois Lerner, James Comey, et al

someone Here @ DFW CBP needs a "talikin to"
from Senators and House rep's
maybe even a President

It is disheartening... I would have expected this at Kennedy or Seattle or LAX long before I would have ever guessed an airport in TEXAS!

We're counting on you Texans to help us hold the line....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My big question is IF this policy isn't postponed again or eliminated all together, how long before is spreads from DFW to other major airports? Going to be a crazy 2020 with things like this popping up all willy nilly.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Fucking government is all I have to say about it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Fucking government is all I have to say about it

Now thats a quote

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

This issue was discussed earlier but I can't find the thread now. My friend in CBP checked with his supervisor in Denver and with DC. There is no widespread requirement for any type of export permit for your rifles. You only need a 4457.

Mark

This is the thread from 2015 when this happened a week before our departure.

Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The important thing to remember is that the mindset of the CBP supervisory personnel at a given location is more important than the geographical location of the airport. I had my TuffPak broken into in both Atlanta, Ga., and Austin, Tx. The agent in Juneau, Ak. stopped just shy of a body cavity search. The agents at LAX have been no problem at all. I am nearly certain that the agents causing all the trouble at DFW are not true Texans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The NRA is on this.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, hopefully they can get it sorted sooner than later.

posted Hide Post
New member long time lurker. We leave for Romania October 1st out of DFW. I was very interested in ITN # with customs. Called Fred with TWG. Sent him our 4457’s we got at Shreveport,La. Fred sent our info to customs at DFW and the next day we received our ITN #. So our experience was very easy to get #. Big shout out to Fred at TWG! Randy

Posts: 3 | Location: East Texas  | Registered: 05 September 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People,

Randy just gave you a perfect example of why you use a travel agent experienced in the safari biz like TWG or Gracy. They have the people and the resources to handle the unexpected. What would Randy have done if he'd made his arrangements via Travelocity or similiar Internet travel sites?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Just came through Atlanta customs Thursday. The CBP guys were courteous and quick. I was in and out with nothing more than a quick serial number check. No boot dipping, no questions about where my wife was. I have only passed through Atlanta 3 times with firearms, none of them were bad, but this was the easiest. Also the customs guys at the counter, after you do the kiosk, were funny as hell when I put a bottle of Scotch on the counter still in the duty free bag. We were all joking so much they never even asked if I had anything to declare, nor did they go through our carry on's. I have always found if you come up to these folks and start with a "Hello, how are you" it always seems to smooth things out.There was no mention of a temporary export number or paperwork.

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Just came through Atlanta customs Thursday. The CBP guys were courteous and quick. I was in and out with nothing more than a quick serial number check. No boot dipping, no questions about where my wife was. I have only passed through Atlanta 3 times with firearms, none of them were bad, but this was the easiest. Also the customs guys at the counter, after you do the kiosk, were funny as hell when I put a bottle of Scotch on the counter still in the duty free bag. We were all joking so much they never even asked if I had anything to declare, nor did they go through our carry on's. I have always found if you come up to these folks and start with a "Hello, how are you" it always seems to smooth things out.

You are so right!! Just amazing how well smiles and courtesy work!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Africa 14 times Argentina 3 Canada 3 times where I have taken my own fire arm . I do not know of an international hunter who does not want to comply with all reasonable regulations including any new ENT regulations it is part of the hassle that you put up with. The problem navigating through the bureaucracy to obtain the right document that passes muster with CBC. All of this talk on how to get the proper document makes my head swim. And introduces another level of uncertainly in going on an international hunt with your own fire arm. Most hunters I know want to bring their own fire arm one that they are familial with especially on a dangerous game hunt, and for many it is a deal breaker if they cannot

My nightmare would to arrive at the airport with documents that you believe meet the requirements and have the TSA guy or CDC person tell you you cannot take your fire arm 2 hours before your flight leaves. Not giving you time to take it home and make the flight . A great way to destroy a $20,000 safari.

That is another reason to use a guy like Steve with TWG to do the paperwork. To take the uncertainty out of your trip.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is another reason to use a guy like Steve with TWG to do the paperwork. To take the uncertainty out of your trip.

Can't be better said than that! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As much as our short term focus must be on how to comply with these regulations, we must also focus longer term on doing whatever it may take to repeal them.

Requiring sportsmen traveling with hunting rifles to jump through hoops like these is ridiculous.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
As much as our short term focus must be on how to comply with these regulations, we must also focus longer term on doing whatever it may take to repeal them.

Requiring sportsmen traveling with hunting rifles to jump through hoops like these is ridiculous.

100% Agree

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

100% Agree

+1 more

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to bump this to the top to see if any other hunters have had issues at DFW?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We came back thru DFW yesterday and I will post later tonight our experience and what I learned from CBP

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We arrived back at DFW Friday evening on Qatar airlines (I'll post some info regarding the airline on the travel forum)and upon arriving at global entry, as soon as I touched the screen at Global Entry, the machine prompted me to push the button to take a photo (i hadn't put my passport in the machine yet. I pushed the button and it took a phot and spit out a customs form with a big "X" on it. The X means secondary CBP inspection, apparently. The first CBP Officer quickly put our passports in a plastic container and told us to go to exit C-2 after claiming baggage. There was no porter involved this time, as there was in July. We went to the secondary inspection area (where they check 4457's and xray baggage and when we made it to the head of the line, the officer called me by name to his station. I asked how he knew who I was and he replied, facial recognition...he told me they knew when I walked off of the plane and into Global Entry and said the airlines are required to notify CBP of all passengers carrying firearms so CBP was aware that I had checked a firearm. He quickly checked my firearm and did not want to xray or search my luggage, didn't even ask if we were carrying food or bought anything overseas. I spoke with him a couple of minutes and related my experience leaving DFW, how two other hunters on the flight were questioned about their firearms but I wasnt, he didn't offer a reason for that but did tell me that the airlines report when firearms are being checked as luggage and that(I imagine this includes serial numbers, I know Qatar and Emirates require you to give serial numbers) photos are captured of the individual checking the firearm.
This turn of events brings up another issue, I know of several guys that have carried rifles to Africa for PH friends or have "forgotten" to bring a rifle back, I asked about that scenario and was told that exported firearms must return with the person who took it out of the country or the individual needs either a police report stating the firearm was lost/stolen or a really believable excuse. This would fit in with what I was told about firearms leaving DFW but not returning and I suppose there could be some penalties involved. He made no mention of this practice being implemented at other airports, but I bet it spreads.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first CBP Officer quickly put our passports in a plastic container

For some reason this part really annoyed me.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your update Mr. Evans. Larry Shores posted the NRA was looking into it. Is there any update on that end?

On a better note, who was the hunting?

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Thank you for your update Nr. Evans. Larry Shore’s posted the NRA was looking into it. Is there any update on that end?

On a better note, who was the hunting?

Larry is currently hnting in Alaska, I'll WhatsApp him but doubt he has service (or might not want to reply Wink), I have contacts at the NRA and will give one of them a call in the morning and see if he is aware of anything happening.

I hunted in Mozambique with Zambezi Delta Safaris, really a good time.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry with contacting Mr. Shores. He will report when he gets back and knows something.

Congratulations. Glad the travel was relatively smooth and the hunting better.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 of us came back through Houston last week with rifles. Business as usual. Showed 4457's and was whisked right on through. Took about 10 minutes total for all 3 of us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad Houston is working well - have a few more days until departure from DFW, hoping all is smooth there.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
The first CBP Officer quickly put our passports in a plastic container

For some reason this part really annoyed me.

They use the Plastic box at Dulles as well.. When I stepped up to the Customs & Immigration counter yesterday upon return, I told the CBP agent I was transporting a firearm and he said OK and slipped my passport into the plastic box and instructed me to follow the red line to the secondary check area. The airlines is notified to gather my luggage and bring it to the secondary area. All in all - very easy, very organized.. Hard to have any complaints.. They checked my 4457 but would have no way to know what the serial number of the rifle I took out was since my case was not opened nor was the 4457 looked at check in..

Now if SAPs reported it to US officials, then there would be a "chain of custody" so to speak but that would have been the only way.. CBP knew that serial number belongs to me since I have a 4457 but no idea that serial number left the USA with me two weeks ago....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, was the whole EEI and EIN not an issue for you?

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I am heading back early.

The NRA says this will happen in some form or fashion . They think it is a good thing believe it or not.

Many countries want some form of gun permit from the country of export. This solves that issue according to the NRA. I am also told that this is at least partially coming about as a result of those who took guns and left them. Our government does not like that .

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The program needs to be separate from EEI/EIN as has been discussed individuals cannot comply with EEI/EIN as it is currently designed. Design something we can comply with, and I will be glad to do so.

What they are trying to do is not workable.

As for the NRA thinking it is a good thing. I fear the NRA is giving this Administration too much rope. More rope than they would give a democrat.As I say that, I am mindful of picking ones battles.

I have only been twice, but never has my passport been taken and put in a plastic box. I wonder what will happen this time? Two weeks tell I leave.

Mr. Shores thank you, safe travel home and be well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recognizing this is a moving target, but is it expected to impact only air travel, or will it eventually dribble down to border crossings with Canada and Mexico?

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Squeezenhope. The Regs and specific statue as written today excludes Canada. It does not exclude Mexico.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Custom:
Karl, was the whole EEI and EIN not an issue for you?

No, it was not. The CBP officer explained that they are in the process of going all digital, meaning no "hard" 4457 in the near future. He told me that all airlines are required to notify CBP of all passengers checking in firearms (photo is taken, too)and when you return the outbound list and the inbound list is cross checked by their computer, so I suppose thy know if you left with a firearm but didn't bring one back. There are talks regarding an "exemption" for those taking less than a certain number of firearms per year, hopefully something will be worked out, but I'm certain it will spread beyond DFW. Had to start someplace.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have only been twice, but never has my passport been taken and put in a plastic box. I wonder what will happen this time? Two weeks tell I leave.

Smile for the photo when you check in Wink , if you happen to be leaving thru DFW I suspect you might get to visit with a CBP officer at the gate. And I'd bet a steak dinner yur passport is placed in the plastic box (with a tracker on it, too).
Good luck, I hope none of that happens to you.

Karl Evans

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I didn't even have firearms and I got the plastic box etc. I had planed to take them and didn't because of the way they treated me when I needed new 4457s. Nonetheless I was repeatedly singled out, questioned, pulled out of line, etc. Apparently the word never got through that i was not carrying anything even though the travel agent was supposed to tell them and I made repeated requests to get the record straight. Roll Eyes

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote