THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Will Crypto Currency Make Its Way Into the Hunting World
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Crypto Currency Make Its Way Into the Hunting World
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
THIS^^^^^^ tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13135 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I agree with some of the statements herein. I disagree with some. Others I have absolutely no clue what the author means. That is more than likely my problem and not theirs.

If I move, hypothetically speaking, $50,000 into my checking account to wire money to pay for trophy fees and other costs, I know that $50,000 is going to be there. If I set aside $50,000 of Bitcoin, I have absolutely no idea what it will be worth when it comes time to move it. It might worth more. It might be worth less. Look at the history of Bitcoin. There are some sudden and severe movements both up and down.

This makes me question the use of it in the industry.

Given your example, I agree with you completely. You are probably better off keeping $50,000 in your checking account to pay for the hunt, then wiring the funds.

What will happen with bitcoin, who knows. It can go up or down dramatically, but so far it has been in a good upward trend since it was initially mined. At this point in time it is probably best to look at bitcoin as a long term investment such as gold or a mutual fund. If you have a hunt in August that costs $50,000, and you fear bitcoin/gold/mutual fund will go down, sell the bitcoin, gold or mutual fund and put the money into your checking account to pay with a wire or into a stable coin if you want to settle with crypto.

If you have a low cost basis in bitcoin, like buying bitcoin two years ago today at under $7,000 and feel that bitcoin is near a bottom and will go up, maybe you wait till closer to the hunt and convert the bitcoin to $50,000 of USDC which is a stable coin and pay the outfitter USDC to settle if that is something he wants to do. If I am an outfitter in most African countries, I would rather have at least some funds in a crypto stable coin pegged to USD than have the majority of my liquid assets setting in my local currency.

Unless you are willing to spend some time delving into crypto, it is probably not worth messing with at this point. In a few years, digital currencies will be here and we will all be drug into a digital market based on fiat or preferably a hybrid market where we have choices that are not based on fiat. Digital currencies/crypto are kind of like the WWW and internet in the mid 90"s. Some were using it and some weren't. Now.......

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
Just to clarify a couple of things.

Earlier in this thread, crypto was called a store of value. That can be the case but crypto comes in many forms.

Store of value- Bitcoin and some other crypto like it would fall in this category. There will only be 21M bitcoin ever mined so it is limited, unlike fiat that will continue to be printed. You can believe in bitcoin or not. I did an unscientific survey at the end of last year to a group of about 50 young professionals I was speaking to. I believe eight of them had bitcoin. Exactly zero had any gold or silver. At some point our generation might ask itself who will be the buyers of our gold and silver if we ever sell. I have a family member in his 30's who is into crypto. Most of his friends are into crypto. It is amazing how many have seven, eight and even nine figure net worth's at this age. None of his friends own gold or silver. The younger generation is looking at bitcoin as gold or silver without the high transaction costs, storage issues and as a way of having assets anywhere in the world at the snap of a finger.

Start up companies- Many crypto companies are start ups that provide a product or service. Chainlink would be an example.(ironically, one of the things Chainlink is doing is upgrading and securing the SWIFT system) Instead of going through the various rounds of early financing then going public which can make the early investors extremely rich, these companies go directly to the crypto market to raise funds. This gives the average person the opportunity to invest in startups with a great idea. This is how many young people are getting extremely rich. Thus my earlier statement of buying quality companies like Amazon, Google, etc. were 20 years ago. Realize, most crypto companies are crap!

Stable coins- There is crypto that will mimic currencies. USDT and USDC being the most used. If you make foreign transactions in stable coins, I don't see it triggering a taxable event, but I am definitely not a Chartered Accountant. As Larry mentioned, if you pay in bitcoin and have a gain then you have a taxable event, just as if you sold stocks to pay for the safari. What you don't have is multiple transactions.

The beauty of crypto is the blockchain. This is an open ledger backed up on tens of thousands of computers/servers all over the world. If I send $20,000 of USDC from my account ABC, to Larry's account, XYZ. The transaction is probably recorded thousands if not tens of thousands of times. These ledgers have also verified that I have the $20,0000 of USDC in my account to pay Larry with. If the transaction confirms, Larry is assured the funds are now in his account. The entire world knows the transaction between these two accounts took place. They don't know who the owners of these two accounts are or anything other than $20,000 of USDC moved between ABC to XYZ.

Because Larry had this transaction with me, he will know that my account number is ABC. He could actually send money there if he wanted to but he has no access to getting money out of my account. He would have to know my password which could be 24 words (words not characters). Will computers be able to break 24 word encryption at some point. Possibly but it may be awhile and there will probably be better ways to secure an account by then. It is always good to have multiple crypto accounts. If you think trophy fees will run $30,000 but you may take the lion if it is better than any you have previously shot, you might transfer $60,000 to the crypto account you will use to pay trophy fees.

Most countries in the world are talking about digital currencies. We will probably all be dealing with digital currencies, whose transaction will be just like crypto, within five to ten years. These will be fiat currencies that will be open to being debased. Many countries will do what they can to crush crypto. They might be able to but at this point it would be close to impossible to do it world wide.

This year in Canada, truckers and those that helped truckers had their bank accounts frozen without due process. Think about that, a western democracy stopped citizens from being able to buy food, pay heating bills, buy gasoline to get to work, pay a mortgage, etc. all without due process! Is it good to have access to fungible assets that only you can access and no one in the world can stop you from accessing?

In no way am I an expert on crypto. Just an old dog trying to figure out a new trick before I get left too far behind. Perhaps something I have said above is off a bit. Please feel free to correct me if I have misspoken. Hope I have clarified a couple of things for some. Is crypto volatile? Definitely. Will people loose money in crypto? Definitely. Most people our age probably aren't investing a lot of their money in startups anyway. As I mentioned earlier, holding some bitcoin as an insurance policy against fiat is probably not a bad idea. Just buy with plans to hold indefinitely.

PS: Someone mentioned that a transaction fee on $20,000 was $400-$700. It could be that high I guess if a person wasn't paying attention. It can also be easily in the range of the cost of a wire. I made a significantly larger transaction a few months ago for under $10. Transaction prices are going down fast and will probably be in the cents within a couple of years.

The $400-$700 is the daily $ vol holding a asset ($20k worth of Bitcoin) that fluctuates between 2.25 to 3.5 percent a day.

These are all the drawdowns in Bitcoin

https://www.visualcapitalist.c...from-all-time-highs/

Anyone booking or paying for a hunt 3-6 months out better figure out with PH who will bear the upside or downside of transacting in a highly volatile asset.

Mike

Many people conflate crypto and bitcoin. Bitcoin is the largest most valued of thousands of different coins that make up crypto. The OP was talking about crypto and that is how I have been responding in my posts. Your example is in bitcoin. I'm not exactly sure how you are getting your numbers for the cost of transferring bitcoin but I will post a couple of articles regarding bitcoin that discuss pricing.

https://www.coindesk.com/tech/...gh-transaction-fees/

A Guide to Saving on Bitcoin's High Transaction Fees
The average bitcoin transaction fee is $23. Luckily, there are ways to cut costs.
By Alyssa Hertig

https://dailyhodl.com/2021/09/...n-2000000000-in-btc/

Bitcoin Wallet Charged $0.80 in Fees To Transfer More Than $2,000,000,000 in BTC
Daily Hodl Staff September 14, 2021

Despite 44,598 BTC being moved, a mere 0.00001713 BTC fee was incurred – amounting to less than a dollar.
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:31 p.m. CST
Updated Sep 14, 2021 at 7:18 a.m. CDT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Earlier in this thread, crypto was called a store of value. That can be the case but crypto comes in many forms.

Store of value- Bitcoin and some other crypto like it would fall in this category. There will only be 21M bitcoin ever mined so it is limited, unlike fiat that will continue to be printed. You can believe in bitcoin or not. I did an unscientific survey at the end of last year to a group of about 50 young professionals I was speaking to. I believe eight of them had bitcoin. Exactly zero had any gold or silver. At some point our generation might ask itself who will be the buyers of our gold and silver if we ever sell. I have a family member in his 30's who is into crypto. Most of his friends are into crypto. It is amazing how many have seven, eight and even nine figure net worth's at this age. None of his friends own gold or silver. The younger generation is looking at bitcoin as gold or silver without the high transaction costs, storage issues and as a way of having assets anywhere in the world at the snap of a finger.

Start up companies- Many crypto companies are start ups that provide a product or service. Chainlink would be an example.(ironically, one of the things Chainlink is doing is upgrading and securing the SWIFT system) Instead of going through the various rounds of early financing then going public which can make the early investors extremely rich, these companies go directly to the crypto market to raise funds. This gives the average person the opportunity to invest in startups with a great idea. This is how many young people are getting extremely rich. Thus my earlier statement of buying quality companies like Amazon, Google, etc. were 20 years ago. Realize, most crypto companies are crap!

Stable coins- There is crypto that will mimic currencies. USDT and USDC being the most used. If you make foreign transactions in stable coins, I don't see it triggering a taxable event, but I am definitely not a Chartered Accountant. As Larry mentioned, if you pay in bitcoin and have a gain then you have a taxable event, just as if you sold stocks to pay for the safari. What you don't have is multiple transactions.

The beauty of crypto is the blockchain. This is an open ledger backed up on tens of thousands of computers/servers all over the world. If I send $20,000 of USDC from my account ABC, to Larry's account, XYZ. The transaction is probably recorded thousands if not tens of thousands of times. These ledgers have also verified that I have the $20,0000 of USDC in my account to pay Larry with. If the transaction confirms, Larry is assured the funds are now in his account. The entire world knows the transaction between these two accounts took place. They don't know who the owners of these two accounts are or anything other than $20,000 of USDC moved between ABC to XYZ.

Because Larry had this transaction with me, he will know that my account number is ABC. He could actually send money there if he wanted to but he has no access to getting money out of my account. He would have to know my password which could be 24 words (words not characters). Will computers be able to break 24 word encryption at some point. Possibly but it may be awhile and there will probably be better ways to secure an account by then. It is always good to have multiple crypto accounts. If you think trophy fees will run $30,000 but you may take the lion if it is better than any you have previously shot, you might transfer $60,000 to the crypto account you will use to pay trophy fees.

Most countries in the world are talking about digital currencies. We will probably all be dealing with digital currencies, whose transaction will be just like crypto, within five to ten years. These will be fiat currencies that will be open to being debased. Many countries will do what they can to crush crypto. They might be able to but at this point it would be close to impossible to do it world wide.

This year in Canada, truckers and those that helped truckers had their bank accounts frozen without due process. Think about that, a western democracy stopped citizens from being able to buy food, pay heating bills, buy gasoline to get to work, pay a mortgage, etc. all without due process! Is it good to have access to fungible assets that only you can access and no one in the world can stop you from accessing?

In no way am I an expert on crypto. Just an old dog trying to figure out a new trick before I get left too far behind. Perhaps something I have said above is off a bit. Please feel free to correct me if I have misspoken. Hope I have clarified a couple of things for some. Is crypto volatile? Definitely. Will people loose money in crypto? Definitely. Most people our age probably aren't investing a lot of their money in startups anyway. As I mentioned earlier, holding some bitcoin as an insurance policy against fiat is probably not a bad idea. Just buy with plans to hold indefinitely.

PS: Someone mentioned that a transaction fee on $20,000 was $400-$700. It could be that high I guess if a person wasn't paying attention. It can also be easily in the range of the cost of a wire. I made a significantly larger transaction a few months ago for under $10. Transaction prices are going down fast and will probably be in the cents within a couple of years.

The $400-$700 is the daily $ vol holding a asset ($20k worth of Bitcoin) that fluctuates between 2.25 to 3.5 percent a day.

These are all the drawdowns in Bitcoin

https://www.visualcapitalist.c...from-all-time-highs/

Anyone booking or paying for a hunt 3-6 months out better figure out with PH who will bear the upside or downside of transacting in a highly volatile asset.

Mike

Many people conflate crypto and bitcoin. Bitcoin is the largest most valued of thousands of different coins that make up crypto. The OP was talking about crypto and that is how I have been responding in my posts. Your example is in bitcoin. I'm not exactly sure how you are getting your numbers for the cost of transferring bitcoin but I will post a couple of articles regarding bitcoin that discuss pricing.

https://www.coindesk.com/tech/...gh-transaction-fees/

A Guide to Saving on Bitcoin's High Transaction Fees
The average bitcoin transaction fee is $23. Luckily, there are ways to cut costs.
By Alyssa Hertig

https://dailyhodl.com/2021/09/...n-2000000000-in-btc/

Bitcoin Wallet Charged $0.80 in Fees To Transfer More Than $2,000,000,000 in BTC
Daily Hodl Staff September 14, 2021

Despite 44,598 BTC being moved, a mere 0.00001713 BTC fee was incurred – amounting to less than a dollar.
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:31 p.m. CST
Updated Sep 14, 2021 at 7:18 a.m. CDT

The cost of holding a volatile currency needs to be priced in to the transaction.

Even if you can transact Bitcoin for $0. Both the buyer and the seller are transacting in a asset that moves 2-3 percent in a day.

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/volatility-index/

You cannot ignore asset volatility. Someone either the buyer/hunter or seller/ph will have to account for the price volatility.

I can send money by Zelle for zero cost on my Wells Fargo checking account. It’s not like there are significant costs to electronic $ transfers. I still use checks and wires for anything any capital. They are governed by much better legal protection.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Crypto is backed by the full faith and credit of a bunch of computers scattered alll over the globe. And how do you mine something made up of nothing but ones and zeroes on a computer monitor?? Of course it doesn’t consume any energy, right?? rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Trusting in crypto is like employing a pedo to baby sits your children!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66898 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Crypto is backed by the full faith and credit of a bunch of computers scattered alll over the globe. And how do you mine something made up of nothing but ones and zeroes on a computer monitor?? Of course it doesn’t consume any energy, right?? rotflmo

Exactly.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13371 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Trusting in crypto is like employing a pedo to baby sits your children!

Exactly +1.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13371 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
We old dogs can mock it all we want. There was a Dan Akroid / Chevy Chase skit called "We Mock What We Don't Understand", LOL.

https://makeagif.com/gif/we-mo...nt-understand-d81rq7

But one of my son's friend's invested a small amount in Bitcoin several years ago. If I have my numbers correct, he invested about $1,500 at the time. He's been up and down since then but as of today, he's worth well over 7 figures due to the investment.

He has commissioned us to build his new house. The house is just over $500,000 and he is a cash buyer. No, we aren't taking Bitcoin for the project. He converted what he needed for the house to dollars prior to us starting.

Now if you REALLY want to get into a discussion of volatility, let's talk about the price of lumber these days!

faint

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
We old dogs can mock it all we want. There was a Dan Akroid / Chevy Chase skit called "We Mock What We Don't Understand", LOL.

But one of my son's friend's invested a small amount in Bitcoin several years ago. If I have my numbers correct, he invested about $1,500 at the time. He's been up and down since then but as of today, he's worth well over 7 figures due to the investment.

He has commissioned us to build his new house. The house is just over $500,000 and he is a cash buyer. No, we aren't taking Bitcoin for the project. He converted what he needed for the house to dollars prior to us starting.

Now if you REALLY want to get into a discussion of volatility, let's talk about the price of lumber these days!

faint

For every guy with a 666x trade on bitcoin there will be one of these guys.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just open an account in a bank in Dar or Arusha. Seems to make sense at this point. I'll save on wires.

Not sold on crypto, but if the money is already there, I don't have to worry about the $10,000 limit or security issues for having that much cash in hand.

Posts: 9989 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
But, but, but, that’s impossible. Crypto is the wave of the future! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paying with crypto would be so much easier. I hope more safari operators will accept it in the future. The nice thing is there is a permanent record that you can see at any time. And the receiver can see at anytime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I think I'll just open an account in a bank in Dar or Arusha. Seems to make sense at this point. I'll save on wires.

Not sold on crypto, but if the money is already there, I don't have to worry about the $10,000 limit or security issues for having that much cash in hand.

Absolute worst idea. You will have to enter the world of tax reporting of an offshore bank account.

Tanzania has a very sophisticated mobile banking. Talk to your ph he may be able To pay all tips via mobile phone and you can pay up him via wire or something (prepaid credit cards ect)

In my fishing in India we tip the guys on the boat via electronic transfers after we get back.

The US is worse than third world in electronic consumer banking.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Excellent and concise. Only thing I’d add is 21 million Bitcoin total is more like 14 million because if lost custody. Essentially when Jerry Dollar forgets his seed phrase. Big Grin

Checking back in five years will be a hoot. Now I’ll follow Dan’s advice and STFU.

How about we change that five years to two. Say November 2025?

Multiple BTC Spot ETF's are inevitable. Blackrock, Fidelity, Ark Investments, and many other institutional investors are gobbling up the limited supply left OTC and on the exchanges.

Gonna be a fun two year buyull market.

Cheers all,

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
I know next to nothing about crypto currency. I did spend a little time on-line doing research. My research led to more questions than answers. But I did take away a few things. Safety of storing crypto currency. Transferring funds via crypto seems fairly strait forward. Thus, it would seem to me a safe way to pay outfitters without having to carry large sums of cash. Another convenience would be not having to use a bank to transfer funds.
Perhaps somewhere down the road a seminar at the hunting conventions might be in order. What are folk's thoughts.

Interesting question Tim, but from my perspective, I don't think so.
As an operator myself, I would never say never to accepting it personally, but I also need the cash flow to pay land and concession owners. Many of them are black Africans who uses a mobile phone that can't even accept Whatsapp, Telegram or Signal messages. How are they going to deal with digital currency?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best check into the reporting requirements for a US citizen owning a foreign bank account. The rules are staggering. One can easily be in serious trouble quickly.

Posts: 11940 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

faint

The question is not about whether it has been a good investment or not. Clearly crypto has been a fantastic investment for many. The question is whether crypto will find its way into the hunting business. Personally, I see lots of issues in that regard.

Posts: 11940 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a report today where the Dallas Cowboys have signed a crypto sponsor, Blockchain.com. However; the report said the Cowboys payment was not in crypto currency, nor would crypto be accepted at their games.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2741 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Pretty much says it all- an idea whose time has not come- based on the ideas of a Japanese computer nerd with no basis in reality or backed by any government, except El Salvador, of course. At age 74, I doubt I will live long enough to buy a car or groceries with bitcoin….beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear what everyone is saying, but this makes no sense. I can only carry $10,000 of cash when I leave the country, but I can't have a foreign bank account? That is ridiculous. I need more than $10,000 overseas.

Posts: 9989 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear what everyone is saying, but this makes no sense. I can only carry $10,000 of cash when I leave the country, but I can't have a foreign bank account? That is ridiculous. I need more than $10,000 overseas.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses...ancial-accounts-fbar

Mike

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Best check into the reporting requirements for a US citizen owning a foreign bank account. The rules are staggering. One can easily be in serious trouble quickly.

Yup, FATCA (Foreign Asset Tax Collection Act, an Obama initiative) makes it a crime to not report everything about any foreign accounts. A client of mine is a tax attorney and former IRS attorney. He makes an excellent living representing people who’ve run afoul of FATCA.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

you can carry as much cash as you want- but you must declare it when you leave if over $10,000.

One of Us
Picture of Kingsview Safaris
posted Hide Post
We accept Crypto currency as a form of payment for a hunting safari.

Listen to our Podcast - Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris

info@kingsviewsafaris.co.za
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
HC50/2015EC

Posts: 67 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 29 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kingsview Safaris:

Hope that works well for you. Are there specific coins you limit payment to?

It may be a great way to market to a younger generation of hunter now. If my son was paying to take his poor dad on hunts, instead of the other way around, I know this would be his preferred way to pay.

Is crypto gaining a footing in the East Cape? Is it used more in PE or urban areas than rural areas? Just curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry and Mike and others,

Thanks for all your comments. Just scanned it all, but what I gather from all this as a former CPA and tax attorney, is the following.

So dealing in crypto may have as many reporting issues with the IRS as having a foreign bank account, as well as the possibility of a taxable event -- but I bet they wouldn't allow you to take a loss, or if they did, it would be limited to offsetting your gains, plus a nominal amount.

I'm not worried about reporting a foreign bank account. It would have a single purpose and I have nothing to hide about that. Plus, my accountants deal with all that, so I tell them, they tell the government whatever they need to know.

But, totally based on the publication Mike sent and nothing else, it looks like IRA's are exempt from reporting. This is not legal advice, but a question. So could someone put money in an IRA with its only asset a bank account in Dar. Ostensibly betting on the exchange rate between US$ and TZ shillings. Deduct the maximum contribution over the years. And, if they are at an age where they can withdraw from IRA's without penalty, simply use the money and upon withdrawal report it as income in that year?

You get a tax deferral at a minimum and your risk, albeit not a very good one based on what I've seen on exchange rates over the past few years, is the exchange rate. But it might make sense with the Biden Administration as I don't see the US$ improving over anything other than rouble anytime soon.

But bottom line. I have no problem reporting a simple checking account with a legitimate business purpose.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Central African Republic has become the first country in Africa to adopt Bitcoin as a payment currency. In a worldwide first, the National Assembly unanimously adopted the bill to help put the country’s plan for economic recovery and peacebuilding on track.

https://forbes.mc/article/firs...ral-african-republic

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone who has expressed their thoughts. The issue of maintaining value of transferring money into one's crypto currency account is interesting and troublesome.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
El Salvador and CAR are 2 of the most unstable and dangerous countries on earth. The fact that they embrace crypto raises a red flag for me. Guess I’m just too old school….. coffee

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
El Salvador and CAR are 2 of the most unstable and dangerous countries on earth. The fact that they embrace crypto raises a red flag for me. Guess I’m just too old school….. coffee

I get the old school feeling. I have an older brother who can not use a computer. "They are too complicated".

That's exactly how I felt about digital assets when a friend introduced me to the idea. He bought a few years ago before many digital assets went parabolic. He 10X'd his investment in that time. So I dabbled with "play money" to learn how the space works. The more I learned the easier buying and selling or moving the digital asset became.

The finite future supply of Bitcoin coupled with the major adoption that's occurring in investment houses is a simple example of supply, demand, and value. The JP Morgan's, Morgan Stanley's, Fidelity, and many others are accumulating as quickly as possible.

There's a reason.

"Bitcoin-Backed Mortgages Are Coming. Here’s What That Means for Buyers." - Barrons

Barron's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Announcement yesterday that worlds largest Bitcoin minining facility to be built very close to my place…guess they figure it’s going to stick around.

https://www.corsicanadailysun....9f-433cdab92743.html

Karl Evans

Posts: 2741 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, Fidelity Investments announced that they are giving 401k and IRA clients the option to include Bitcoin into their accounts. Another major adoption in favor of crypto. A few years ago, not a single big bank or investment firm had anything to do with the crypto space; but in the last 18 months Chase Bank, PayPal, Mastercard, a variety of hedge funds and now Fidelity have all jumped in. More will follow.

Here is what finally got me interested in crypto currencies a few years ago…

In the early 1980’s I was in my early 20’s and beginning to invest in stocks. One stock that interested me was a fairly stodgy company that had great fundamentals but I decided to not buy any shares because they were mainly a textiles manufacturer at the time and that just didn’t sound interesting or appealing. I thought about buying a few hundred shares, but didn’t. The stock was trading around $15 a share back then. That company was Berkshire Hathaway, before a guy named Warren Buffett took it over and transformed it.

Around the mid to late ‘80’s, I was fishing in San Francisco Bay with a CPA & an attorney and all they kept talking about were a couple new and interesting IPOs they thought were worth investing some money into. One company was a new startup that was in the then new software industry, whatever the hell that was. I didn’t invest because WTF is this software stuff. That company was Microsoft.

Early 1990’s…. Talking with co-workers at a Christmas party and one was talking about the investment she had just made, a substantial amount for her, in this new company that sold books on the still in its infancy thing called the internet. I thought she was stupid because the company had no profits and who wanted to buy a book on this internet thing anyway when you could walk into a bookstore to get whatever book you want. I never bought their stock. That company was Amazon.

There was a computer company a couple hours from my house that wasn’t doing very well and in 1996, they were doing terribly, their stock was down to $1 per share and they were threatened with de-listing from their stock exchange. There was talk of bankruptcy. The founders had moved on and the company wasn’t innovating. I thought about buying 10,000 shares purely on speculation, but never pulled the trigger. Then, their founder came back and they came out with a new product that they unveiled in one of the most iconic Super Bowl commercials of all time. That product was the MacIntosh computer and the company was Apple.

Around 2010, I’m watching the TV news with my daughter and there is a story about this brand new thing called Bitcoin and it talked about how it was being rapidly adopted by drug dealers and money launderers, but also speculators. It was trading for fractions of a penny per Bitcoin at the time. My daughter asked if I thought we should buy some. I told my daughter that “I don’t do stuff that drug dealers and money launderers do”. I’ve thought about how much I could have bought back then, when just a $100 speculative buy could have gotten me 10,000 Bitcoin, which today would be worth over $100,000,000.00 if I held onto even just 50% of such a buy.

So a few years ago, I decided to start doing research when I heard that Bitcoin was going to have an event called a ‘halving’ and it could be a big profit opportunity. I thought about Berkshire Hathaway, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple and fractions of a penny Bitcoin; and where I’d be if I’d only taken ‘the other fork in the road’ a couple of times. I told my kids that I might lose every dollar I put into these crypto currency things, but I’d be damned if I was going to have yet one more ‘If I’d only have…’ moments. I’ve learned quite a bit, but there is so much still to know. I told my kids to never put any money into crypto that they couldn’t afford to lose if it went bust. And that’s what I do. Any amount I put in is money that wouldn’t impact me if I lost it all. I figure I could spend it on a nice deer or elk hunt, or I could invest it into some cryptos and perhaps someday go on many more expensive hunts.

Many companies in the crypto space are doing technical things we don’t yet understand, kinda like Microsoft in the 80’s, Amazon in the 90’s and other examples. Most will go bust and vanish. But five or ten years from now, some will be household names. The trick is figuring out which are which.

Anyway, that’s my .02 worth contribution to this subject.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Announcement yesterday that worlds largest Bitcoin minining facility to be built very close to my place…guess they figure it’s going to stick around.

https://www.corsicanadailysun....9f-433cdab92743.html

Cooling fans can be noisy. Hope it's not too close. Texas is all over BTC mining. They use flare gas from the wells for cheap energy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Figures CAR would do that. Bitcoin is no more risky than their own currency, maybe less so, and it's unsafe to hunt there currently. So basically, who cares?

I've always sent money cover likely trophy fees and extras to the outfitter's account ahead of time and we just settle up after. The main issue that I've encountered is tips and spending money. That's not the outfitter's money and shouldn't have to run through their account. I know you can declare and take more, but who wants that hassle and who wants to carry large amounts of cash, especially from the perspective of the local populace.

An account would simplify that. Report it to the US government as tip and spending money. I could account for virtually every penny and we're not talking about that much.

One of Us
Picture of Kingsview Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kingsview Safaris:

Hope that works well for you. Are there specific coins you limit payment to?

It may be a great way to market to a younger generation of hunter now. If my son was paying to take his poor dad on hunts, instead of the other way around, I know this would be his preferred way to pay.

Is crypto gaining a footing in the East Cape? Is it used more in PE or urban areas than rural areas? Just curious.

So far we have accepted cryptocurrency from two seperate clients and all went smoothly.

We kept the process extremely basic and only accept Bitcoin and Euthereum. Once the amount was transferred to the wallet, it was converted to the necessary Rand amount and treated it as a normal transaction from there onwards.

Listen to our Podcast - Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris

info@kingsviewsafaris.co.za
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
HC50/2015EC

Posts: 67 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 29 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMG Hunting Safaris:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
I know next to nothing about crypto currency. I did spend a little time on-line doing research. My research led to more questions than answers. But I did take away a few things. Safety of storing crypto currency. Transferring funds via crypto seems fairly strait forward. Thus, it would seem to me a safe way to pay outfitters without having to carry large sums of cash. Another convenience would be not having to use a bank to transfer funds.
Perhaps somewhere down the road a seminar at the hunting conventions might be in order. What are folk's thoughts.

Interesting question Tim, but from my perspective, I don't think so.
As an operator myself, I would never say never to accepting it personally, but I also need the cash flow to pay land and concession owners. Many of them are black Africans who uses a mobile phone that can't even accept Whatsapp, Telegram or Signal messages. How are they going to deal with digital currency?

Africans have been doing this for years. Look up M-Pesa or how they have been using pre-paid airtime as a digital currency for quite a while.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

one of the biggest arguments for bitcoin is the decentralized aspect. I would argue that a bunch of computers across the world having to come to a consensus is more secure than a currency controlled by one entity/government. Now what its backed by... well that's another argument and you would also need to compare what the dollar (or other currencies) are backed by. Isn't all currency simply based on trust and faith?

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
quote:

one of the biggest arguments for bitcoin is the decentralized aspect. I would argue that a bunch of computers across the world having to come to a consensus is more secure than a currency controlled by one entity/government. Now what its backed by... well that's another argument and you would also need to compare what the dollar (or other currencies) are backed by. Isn't all currency simply based on trust and faith?

That's what I've been lead to believe as well. It's supposed to be an end around governmental control.

Using Jerry's red flag logic about Bitcoin because the CAR and El Salvador accept it, I'm curious to know his opinion on the value of the US Dollar a few years ago when Zimbabwe adopted it for their currency. Did Zim's acceptance of US Dollars raise the same red flags?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
quote:

That's what I've been lead to believe as well. It's supposed to be an end around governmental control.

Using Jerry's red flag logic about Bitcoin because the CAR and El Salvador accept it, I'm curious to know his opinion on the value of the US Dollar a few years ago when Zimbabwe adopted it for their currency. Did Zim's acceptance of US Dollars raise the same red flags?

they adopted a currency recognized by every government on the planet. Bitcoin?? Recognized by 2 semi- failed third world shit holes. I’m sure MS13 and the Christian and Muslim militias loved being able to launder their money…. rotflmo