New
Find
Notify
Tools

leopard with bare hands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Maybe a new category for an SCI award?

Posts: 748 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gundog 64:
Maybe a new category for an SCI award?

Won't work.

SCI Awards zombies don't like to get their hands dirty.

Most of them hire crooked South African PHs to capture their animals - or buying them - put them in an enclosure so the fame seeking low lives can hop on a plane and fly over and kill it! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Years ago a PH friend of mine, Hagen Eggert of Namibia, was jumped by a wounded leopard and was doing a fair job of fighting it. He stuck his fist in it's mouth and was avoiding it rear claws from raking him. Dogs and those nearby rushed to his aid but the local who had wounded it the day before attempted to shoot the leopard but instead shot Hagen just below the knee resulting in his leg being amputated. 9 days later Hagen was running his bulldozer on his farm using a stick on the controls in lieu of his missing lower leg.

Tough bark on that German farmer/PH.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Karl Stumpfe did the same thing in Namibia....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember Karl telling me of that incident as well.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Famous taxidermist Carl Akeley, who did a bunch of the mounts in the American Museum of Natural History, is also in the "killed a leopard with his bare hands" club. It took place in the late 1890's when he was in Somaliland collecting specimens for the museum. The usual story, he wounded a leopard and he ended up with the cat on him and he killed it with his bare hands. I saw an old picture of him with the cat and he looked like he took quite a beating. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Joshka, a past PH from Tanzania friend of mine.

He had the same area we hunted the past few years.

He used to come to Dubai every year, and spent quite a bit of time in my house.

He was married to a Tanzanian lady.

He had European client, who wanted to shoot a leopard.

Apparently they were setting bait, and the leopard walked slowly bye right in the open.

Joshka told the client to shoot it.

He did.

He shot it in the FOOT!!

The leopard ran off, and they found a spot of blood.

Joshka asked the client to wait, and he went after the leopard.

The leopard jumped him from behind a rock, knocked the rifle out of his hands, and they had a bare hand fight.

The leopard pulled Joshka scalp partially off and ran away.

They left it, went back to camp to get a shotgun.

came back after Joshka tied his head up.

The went looking for the leopard again.

Apparently he hid in exactly the same place as before.

He had another fight with Joshka, and he managed to kill it.

Sadly, Joshka was attacked by a wounded lioness.

He died in hospital a few days later.

He was a fantastic man, and fondly called himself the Big White Baboon!

He loved eating steaks.

I had to make sure I had extra to go around whenever he came over.

He would call in the morning and ask if there was any left over!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is hard core. Hard core.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Fairly amazing.

Eric Rundgren also got in a mano-a-mano with a leopard. Damn near killed him. I believe it was one of, if not his very first safaris as a pro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl won't show his scar from the encounter.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Connolly at Vic Falls had a leopard smash through his lounge windows, with serious intent. He fought it for quite some time, incurring severe lacerations .... finally , when both were exhausted, a neighbour shot the leopard as it was catching its breath before resuming the fight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Karl won't show his scar from the encounter.

Some of Karl's scars from the encounter are obvious! I enjoyed hearing some of his exploits when I met him at lunch in a lodge in Namibia.

Karl said that when the leopard leaped in his face, he quickly dropped to his knees to take the hind legs out of play. He had violent fang scars on his forehead and chin from what he said seemed like a very long time with his face in the leopard's mouth while he bear-hugged it to death. Karl noted that they breathed the same air during most of the encounter, and that leopards have terrible breath..! That would be a good thing to never personally check.

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote