New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see request about all the countrys in Africa and I have hunted most to one degree or another.

My take is unless you have a species of animal thats common to one country such as Mozambique for big elephant, I would do all my hunting in RSA for plainsgame and Tanzania for the rest...I particularly enjoyed my Tanzania hunts as I love shooting Buffalo and tented safaris..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

No brainer for me. I'm a buffalo addict. Used to be three in Tanzania, now it's four. They fed my addiction. Going in August.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I see request about all the countrys in Africa and I have hunted most to one degree or another.

My take is unless you have a species of animal thats common to one country such as Mozambique for big elephant, I would do all my hunting in RSA for plainsgame and Tanzania for the rest...I particularly enjoyed my Tanzania hunts as I love shooting Buffalo and tented safaris..

Ray,

While I can respect your opinion, I believe it to be a bit short sighted. I have hunted most of the legal and open countries in sub-Saharan Africa.

I believe my life is enriched because of that.

If I HAD to choose one country, It would be Zambia. Without really checking, I think Zambia has more "Zambia only" species than any of the other "like" countries. I'm excluding such places as CAR, Cameroon and other West African locals.

From the Kafue region, Luangwa Valley and North East Zambia, its unique, friendly and pretty easy to travel into and out of.

Like Lavaca, Hunting up to 4 Buffalo surely has its advantages, so Tanzania gets a strong second place on my list.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3362 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Ray,

While I can respect your opinion, I believe it to be a bit short sighted. I have hunted most of the legal and open countries in sub-Saharan Africa.

If I HAD to choose one country, It would be Zambia. Without really checking, I think Zambia has more "Zambia only" species than any of the other "like" countries. I'm excluding such places as CAR, Cameroon and other West African locals.

From the Kafue region, Luangwa Valley and North East Zambia, its unique, friendly and pretty easy to travel into and out of.

Like Lavaca, Hunting up to 4 Buffalo surely has its advantages, so Tanzania gets a strong second place on my list.

I agree! In Zambia, you can shoot two buffs or simply book two back-to-back safaris. Our Lion are first class and you can hunt the wetland species. The Luangwa and Kafue are like chalk and cheese and there is such a variety of landscapes and species. Not many places you can hunt Lion, Leopard, Sitatunga, Sable, Buffalo, etc on one Safari?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9856 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Ray,

No brainer for me. I'm a buffalo addict. Used to be three in Tanzania, now it's four. They fed my addiction. Going in August.

The Roan is your Nemisis!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9856 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On plains game: personally I want to hunt large properties that are just cattle fenced if possible. If they are high fenced, I want them to be very large. I think the East Cape fits that (although I haven't been). Definitely Tholo in Botswana, lots of places in Namibia fit my requirement.

My only trip to RSA, properties were not large (compared to what I'd done before) & there was a lot of driving between ranches. Prior to this I had hunted Namibia, Tanzania, Mozambique & Zimbabwe, so I found the hunting very "half assed."

If I could do a big safari every year, with a mix of DG and PG, I'd probably swap between Tanzania and Zambia.

If I had "F U" money, I'd grab two 21-day licenses in TZ and have eight buffalo available! Wink

Posts: 431 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Ray,

I agree! In Zambia, you can shoot two buffs or simply book two back-to-back safaris. Our Lion are first class and you can hunt the wetland species. The Luangwa and Kafue are like chalk and cheese and there is such a variety of landscapes and species. Not many places you can hunt Lion, Leopard, Sitatunga, Sable, Buffalo, etc on one Safari?

Exactly. 2005 I hunted Tondwa with young Terry for Sitatunga, Roan, Puku, Blue Duiker. Chartered from there to Luangwa with Alister (Nyaminga) and killed Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, Croc, Chobe Bushbuck, Grysbok, and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

I was in Zambia for 35 or 36 days straight that year. The eco-diversity is truly amazing.

Interestingly, I have killed two Leopards and one Lion with Alister. Those 3 cats were a grand total of 7 sittings.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3362 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have zero desire to hunt RSA. If I did, it would be the Eastern Cape and unfenced. For a budget plains game hunt, Namibia is tough to beat but for me, it looks too much like Arizona.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have zero desire to hunt RSA. If I did, it would be the Eastern Cape and unfenced. For a budget plains game hunt, Namibia is tough to beat but for me, it looks too much like Arizona.

You say that like its a bad thing. Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"....it looks too much like Arizona."

Yup. I live a little north of Prescott, Az. Looks exactly like Namibia.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

You remembered. I'm going back to Southwestern Tanzania again in August and lion and roan are on the list. But Zambia is a must do. Didn't know you could hunt two buffalo. That makes a big difference to me. I'll get in touch after I get back this year and see if we can make a plan.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote