THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Made some lemonade out of this lemon

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made some lemonade out of this lemon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well this year was a lemon I was going to try to find a chance again to chase elephants maybe pushing it from last years hip replacement but I had full intentions on trying. Buzz just didn't have available what I thought I wanted and I didn't look elsewhere too seriously but was real curious about Botswana. With the recent events we all have been directed not to do much of anything I decided to make lemonade when my neighbor changed her direction and wanted to sell her farm. I scrambled and my fun money was gambled with an offer. I won the high stakes poker game among other buyers and the real estate has a new owner. My wife didn't throw me out and bless her heart went along with it but unfortunately International hunting may be put on hold for a few months. I will just distance myself to improving habitat for the wildlife and make the farmland better. Pheasants and deer don't know how dangerous it is going to get in their new bedrooms and kitchens these coming years.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

That sounds like a great compromise!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. There is opportunity out there if you know where to look. I find it interesting that we are about a week into this Pandemicand every major ranch broker in the West has contacted me to make sure that my clients would still look at deals if a good one was put in front of them. I’m not even a real estate agent, so I guess one could surmise that they’re a bit uneasy about where Q2 sales will come from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! Am happy for you,
Don't look back now!
Should be some jackalopes in the
area too. Have fun!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good on you

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, this whole thing has me somewhat depressed. I thought about going coyote hunting Sunday, but I said, "screw it, I will just be thinking about corona." After all, I had been laying awake since 4 am thinking about it.

I have no hunts planned for the fall; will probably go deer hunting in MN or spend time at our place in CO.

I did go shooting yesterday; practiced at 100 yds offhand, sitting with a sling at 200, shot 25 clays, and a dozen .45 and .38 at 25 yards. Also shot my .45/70 lever gun but the aperture sight came loose. Will shoot long range on Wed; still like doing that.

Financially, I am ok right now; our customers are paying on time. But the fact so many Americans and others (like Andrew) are really hurting makes me feel badly. I can't say I felt that way during the GFC; I snagged a lot of very low priced hunts inc a Tanz 21 day. Maybe I am just getting old.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice - and congratulations!

As long as I am not forced to stay at home (and I am so far free to leave, even for non-emergency purposes), I can do as AnotherAZWriter does, and throw lead down range.

Somehow, it's even more satisfying when it's one of very few options!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just this morning had an email from a friend who was enquiring of my opinion on what would happen to local raw land prices.

I told him that there would likely be very few buyers among "end users" like farmers and ranchers who have to finance purchases. Crop prices are way down (they were already and dropping even further in the financial panic) and credit for land purchases will be scarce. My guess is that for the next couple of years most land purchases will be by individuals who have cash at their disposal (possibly from bailing out of other investments) and who are in a position to take advantage of bargains.

But what usually happens in big financial downturns is that land sales simply stagnate, with owners unwilling to take far less than what the market had been, and the few buyers unwilling to buy at those prices.

Exceptions are obviously those like Bob Keeler who simply won't let a long-desired piece of land neighboring them get away if they can find any way to swing the purchase. I would feel exactly the same way if certain pieces of land next to me came up for sale and would turn cartwheels to come up with the wherewithal to buy such a parcel.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“They ain’t making any more of it.”

I live and hunt on the 70 acre farmstead I bought in 1989.
Land you live on or adjacent to has a high intangible value.
I have a 200 yard range onsite, and am surrounded on three sides by federal
waterfowl production land. My Redneck Blind is 150 yards from my house. I paid less than $400/acre back then and thought it was a lot. It was a good decision.

Congratulations!

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting brings a bunch of rewards sharing with family and friends. I like the farming as well improving on the farmland and habitat for wildlife. Check out on you tube 2019 South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Opening Weekend

https://youtu.be/T6r5Ndj3goM

The older gentleman I hunt with on my farms has twenty elephants to his credit plus so many more adventures. When we get together we share stories over and over. We are really looking forward to Africa in the future and will stay in practice chasing the darn Chinese Airforce that inhabits my land.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new farm.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob

Congrats on the new farm- but I still would have preferred if you had bought a hunt from me Wink

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz, thank you. You folks stay healthy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have to admit, this whole thing has me somewhat depressed. I thought about going coyote hunting Sunday, but I said, "screw it, I will just be thinking about corona." After all, I had been laying awake since 4 am thinking about it.

I have no hunts planned for the fall; will probably go deer hunting in MN or spend time at our place in CO.

I did go shooting yesterday; practiced at 100 yds offhand, sitting with a sling at 200, shot 25 clays, and a dozen .45 and .38 at 25 yards. Also shot my .45/70 lever gun but the aperture sight came loose. Will shoot long range on Wed; still like doing that.

Financially, I am ok right now; our customers are paying on time. But the fact so many Americans and others (like Andrew) are really hurting makes me feel badly. I can't say I felt that way during the GFC; I snagged a lot of very low priced hunts inc a Tanz 21 day. Maybe I am just getting old.

Went coyote hunting today and whacked one on my fourth stand. Felt great to be outdoors and hunting; you can only read bad news so long...

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AnotherAZWriter posted 29 March 2020 09:57
Went coyote hunting today and whacked one on my fourth stand. Felt great to be outdoors and hunting; you can only read bad news so long...

Lucky. I wish I was you at this time. I would love to be at the range today. The weather is beautiful. Just can't go far at all under current movement restrictions. I think I'm slightly depressed, certainly bored. Spending too much time on AR trying to keep my mind off our situation.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:
AnotherAZWriter posted 29 March 2020 09:57

Lucky. I wish I was you at this time. I would love to be at the range today. The weather is beautiful. Just can't go far at all under current movement restrictions. I think I'm slightly depressed, certainly bored. Spending too much time on AR trying to keep my mind off our situation.

Well, you can always reload. Just finished some .243 Win (my coyote loads are 58 gr Hornady VMax with 43 gr BlC2). Now loading .45/70...