Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite South African habitats
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
For those of you who have hunted in multiple areas of South Africa....what are your favorite regions and why?

On my first ever SA hunt this past April, I was hunting in the "High Veld" approximately 1.5 hours west of Johannesburg (both in North West & Gauteng provinces). I enjoyed the area and the terrain immensely! The elevation where we hunted ranges from about 4,800 to 5,500 ft. above sea level (higher than I was expecting) and had very low humidity with virtually no insects. It was extremely pleasant temperature-wise as well....with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's.

The most popular areas of South Africa among hunters seem to be the Eastern Cape and Limpopo, but I have to say....I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the High Veld.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in every province in South Africa. I love the Western Cape, as it reminds me a lot of Montana-big, wide, open. Hunting Vaal Rhebok there was addicting. I love Kwa-Zulu Natal-thick, jungle like areas with huge Nyala, bushpig, Livingstone's Suni, Red Duiker. I also love the Eastern Cape with its beautiful beaches and lush growth along the Indian Ocean for Blue Duiker, Cape Bushbuck, Cape Grysbok. I love the Limpopo for great plains game along the Limpopo River-some great Limpopo bushbuck and Kudu there! I love the Mpumalanga for its Mountains and variety of game, and for its fly fishing, as well as the Blyde River Canyon and Kruger. I love the Northern Cape for its large Kudu and exceptional Gemsbok, large Red Hartebeest, Cape Eland, Common and White Blesbok and Bontebok, as well as its excellent Steenbok and Gray Duiker. And the love and lists go on and on . . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

You did not mention the Karoo !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Oh, I've also hunted the Karoo and had a wonderful hunt for the various species of springbok! Love that country as well. Big Grin