THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The back side of a safari......getting your animals home
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The back side of a safari......getting your animals home
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
My shipment of heads and hides are boxed up and awaiting the plane ride to the USA

It seems like only yesterday I posted my first questions about my upcoming trip.

However with all the travel and hunt talk I wish there was more chat about after the skinning shed

Dip and pack.....taxidermist $

Crate and ship.....African shipping $........I was ignorant in thinking this was combined in D&P

US receiving.....Broker $

Fish and Game..... $

Final shipping.... $

It might get hit upon from time to time but as a first timer I will have the nuts to admit that I wasn't aware of exactly how much $$$ and effort went into the back side.

Not to even mention the USA taxidermy of the finish work.

I hope this thread gets enough input to help the next first timer or the new guy headed over there in 2015

Merry Christmas everyone here's wishing everyone a great 2015

Ted

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you've gone enough, you'll probably do what some of us already do, bring back only the real trophies that you want and let pictures suffice for the remainder.
BUT, you got to go and kill things that you can't find in SE Missouri!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
If you have taxidermist experienced in African work, he will be able to give you a good idea of what all of those costs are before you leave for the hunt.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
My shipment of heads and hides are boxed up and awaiting the plane ride to the USA

It seems like only yesterday I posted my first questions about my upcoming trip.

However with all the travel and hunt talk I wish there was more chat about after the skinning shed

Dip and pack.....taxidermist $

Crate and ship.....African shipping $

US receiving.....Broker $

Fish and Game..... $

Final shipping.... $

It might get hit upon from time to time but as a first timer I will have the nuts to admit that I wasn't aware of exactly how much $$$ and effort went into the back side.

Not to even mention the USA taxidermy of the finish work.

I hope this thread gets enough input to help the next first timer or the new guy headed over there in 2015

Merry Christmas everyone here's wishing everyone a great 2015

Ted

I will give you some worse news taxidermy. Cabelas in CO sold all the taxidemry in its store for an average price of $39. This includes full mounts. They replace the entire stores taxidermy. They guy who bought it resells it and had to go collect it from the store.

Taxidermy value is totally based on your use and pleasure from it. The re-sale value is pathetic at best.

I write this as I am awaiting a lion from Burkina.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I sent you my email. Can my wife call you?

Ted

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Only been once and shipped home my buffalo and 2 plains game. If I were to do it again, and my recommendation to others, I would shoot a ton of animals and bring them home or shoot non-trophy and cull animals and bring nothing home. The cost of shipping more animals home does not increase exponentially with more animals so averages out with a large bag. Seems like most of my safari cost was related to getting stuff home and mounted vs actually shooting it.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Only been once and shipped home my buffalo and 2 plains game. If I were to do it again, and my recommendation to others, I would shoot a ton of animals and bring them home or shoot non-trophy and cull animals and bring nothing home. The cost of shipping more animals home does not increase exponentially with more animals so averages out with a large bag. Seems like most of my safari cost was related to getting stuff home and mounted vs actually shooting it.

Excellent advice.

My next safari will probably be non-export. There are so many hassles involved with getting the trophies home.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Compared to South America, Africa is a bargain.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this is a great opportunity for operators to set themselves apart. So many are pretty much done with you once you make payment and leave camp.

I filled out a questionnaire once at the end of the hunt and the last question was "rate your overall experience" which I gave an 8 out of 10. The guy asked me why and I said because the final delivery of trophies in good shape had not happened yet, so I could not really rate that part yet. He answered "I don't have any control over that" to which I replied, "you have a lot more control over it than I do from 15 thousand miles away."

If you're not prepared for it, the "after hunt" process can be a nightmare. It seems to almost be taboo to discuss it openly in forums like this. I wish it got more discussion so that there would not be so much unknown for folks that haven't been through it.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 897 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
It seems to almost be taboo to discuss it openly in forums like this. I wish it got more discussion so that there would not be so much unknown for folks that haven't been through it.

This x10

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is that there is a LOT of variability in how much is charged, and how it happens.

My hunt in South Africa cost a heck of a lot more for dip and pack than any of my Tanzanian hunts, Zimbabwe hunts, or my Zambian hunt. (and was a quarter or less the animals, no CITIES animals, the rest had those.)

My experience is that the outfitter has a heck of a lot of control of this stuff, starting with who they recommend to do the shipping.

If the outfitter does not have the dip and pack built in to the charges, DEMAND competitive bid from various places to make a choice.

The air freight will go up by how much stuff you ship, but it seems to be based on some arcane units of size more than just weight, and it seems that freight is (depending) 2/3 to much less than that of the total costs.

If your taxidermist does this regularly, they can give you some pointers- but the only time that the outfitter did not want to work with my taxidermist was the one time I felt I really got taken to the cleaners. I still had it sent to the same taxidermist, but I ended up having to do all the payments myself to 3-4 different entities before it got here.

If someone says that their dip and pack is "superior" to everyone else's so costs a premium, they are full of it...

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
My experience is that there is a LOT of variability in how much is charged, and how it happens.

My hunt in South Africa cost a heck of a lot more for dip and pack than any of my Tanzanian hunts, Zimbabwe hunts, or my Zambian hunt. (and was a quarter or less the animals, no CITIES animals, the rest had those.)

My experience is that the outfitter has a heck of a lot of control of this stuff, starting with who they recommend to do the shipping.

If the outfitter does not have the dip and pack built in to the charges, DEMAND competitive bid from various places to make a choice.

The air freight will go up by how much stuff you ship, but it seems to be based on some arcane units of size more than just weight, and it seems that freight is (depending) 2/3 to much less than that of the total costs.

If your taxidermist does this regularly, they can give you some pointers- but the only time that the outfitter did not want to work with my taxidermist was the one time I felt I really got taken to the cleaners. I still had it sent to the same taxidermist, but I ended up having to do all the payments myself to 3-4 different entities before it got here.

If someone says that their dip and pack is "superior" to everyone else's so costs a premium, they are full of it...

There is a lot of truth in the above.

Careful who you deal with - or rather, who your outfitter deals with.

Shipping can be very expensive also, so do shop around, and ask for recommendations.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The beauty of safaris and custom rifles is that it is very difficult to keep track of exactly how much they cost, especially if they overlap. You just make the payments when they are due. I can't keep track of it, much less my wife.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pawprint
posted Hide Post
Ask your outfitter to get you a full quote on dip and pack or taxidermy beforehand. A very close estimate can be given on the export cost, this may vary though depending on what exactly you decide to do with your trophies in the end and whether you take extra animals. You should however have a good idea of what to budget for.

Posts: 28 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Nothing new just because it is you. Absolutely everything has been discussed and available to 'Find' beforehand. Taxidermy can ruin a trip (so for whomever thinks it started with Ted, pay attention this time...)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife, myself and my parents went to Namibia in July.
13 animals for the 4 of us.
2 crates shipped back at $1800,
D&L in Chicago handled the customs work for $770 ($335 per hunting party),
my parents crate went to Montana for $175,
mine went to a tannery in Ohio for $125

We could have packed it all in one crate, but decided to go with 2. If we had done just one, it would have knocked $800 off shipping, and $335 off of customs clearing.

I won't have the tannery charges until March. After the tannery, I will work out a plan with my taxidermist. We have 7 animals to get done.

I went this direction so I can hold the tanned skins and horns until I want them mounted. We want my dik dik and klipspringer full mounted. Those will be salty and will need to be done later. The shoulder mounts will be done first.

All in all, it wasn't as expensive as I thought. We budgeted $3500 to get everything home.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
The high cost of dip/pack, shipping, clearance and taxidermy is why I've sworn off bringing anything home from Africa. I brought stuff home from my first two trips, but I really felt that I was getting ripped off when I saw the final costs. From that point on it's pictures only for me. I even left my two cape buffalo in Zim. I've done three elephant hunts and all have been non exportable bulls.

Last year I did a cull plains game hunt with Kananna safaris in Botswana. Great hunt with quite a bit of shooting. Lots of fun and a bunch of great pictures.

As Beretta 682E stated: "Taxidermy value is totally based on your use and pleasure from it. The re-sale value is pathetic at best." This is so true. I've been to several auctions where taxidermy was sold. It brings pennies on the dollar. At one auction a beautiful Sable with over 40" horns sold for $500 and that was the most expensive mount in the entire auction. Large Whitetail bucks were bringing around $100.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
I get crates virtually the same weights from africa prices are double and triple others. Yes same country. The Dip/pack Forget the backsins, and some way overcharge because nobody shops around. I've seen dip pack prices vary from 50 for a kudu and horns to 150++ for a kudu and horns and up. Don't deal with an African taxidermy studio for dip pack they are overcharging. Use a dip pack only business. Lots of ways to save money customs brokers Some are twice what others charge , why Because Hunters really don't know the business. Talk and set it up with your taxidermist an this end BEFORE you ever set foot in Africa, that will save you $$$$$.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My African outfitter supplied/suggested the dip and pack guy.

An East London taxidermist.

My dip and pack was over $2400 for 10 sets of horns and 9 capes with 3 backskins

I honestly believe my African outfitter and the dip and pack guy split the money in some fashion

Now they tell me shipping to the US is an additional $1375....really?

After that.....who knows

I have several PM's out in waiting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always brought "something" back from my first 15 trips to Africa. From just a couple of capes and horns to splitting a couple of crates with a dozen or more animal parts and pieces per crate. The last three trips I have brought back only pictures and memories. This current method has resulted in a "whole lot less stress" and a "whole lot more $$" towards future hunts and Safaris. I have mounts of all the things I felt "mandatory" to have done and now it's all, like I said pics and memories.

I never felt I was "overcharged" or "taken advantage of" with dip and pack, airfreight and Broker clearing charges. I/we ALWAYS had a plan prior to the trip with estimates on all three items mentioned above. Since my experiences go quite a few years back and nothing for the last three years, things have probably changed, and it seems like not for the better.

I am sure it is still worth checking prices, people involved and clearing costs before embarking on an African Safari in todays market, but one has to face the facts, if you want to bring stuff home, be prepared to pay the price.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We paid a straight $70 per animal for dip and pack. I forgot to add that into the list. So $910 for all 13 animals.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, Answered your PM and have the rest to you in a few.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would a taxidermist/businessman Africa make dip/pack affordable and take profit from mounting your trophies from his own pocket?.

Going to make some African taxidermist mad but think about it?

I suggest never using an African taxidermist for Dip Pack. Plenty of Dip Pack operations that are solely that and those are the ones that are very reasonable...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
Why would a taxidermist/businessman in Africa make dip/pack affordable and take profit from mounting your trophies from his own pocket?.

Going to make some African taxidermist mad but think about it?

I suggest never using an African taxidermist for Dip Pack. Plenty of Dip Pack operations that are solely that and those are the ones that are very reasonable...

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't used to be that way....you paid a reasonable dip and pack to the outfitter and the box was personally taken to the airport and delivered to the airline....your friendly taxidermist on the US side did the clearance...or you did it yourself!!
All of these interlopers are unnecessary and have wedged their way between the outfitter and the hunters....this might be a death threat to International hunting if the Outfitters down get back in front and control the shipments!!
Some Taxidermists are also afraid to tell their clients the whole story on mounts....I just had a Caribou done....I was told the price was $995 for a pedestal mount, with velvet on the rack. I recoiled a bit but went ahead....NO INVOICE was sent to me....then there were computer problems when I asked for one before making the delivery trip....150 miles each way!! Well, it was $995+ $375 for velvet that was wrong color, +$195 for cove and finish of the back, and the kicker $450 for the pedestal...that's a $2000 mount!!
Glad my trophy room is full....I learned my lesson the hard way...no more mounts...that will be sold for peanuts by my estate!!

Who was it that said-"Beauty has lost its loveliness by the greed of selfish man??"...or something like that!!

Maybe if we all started kicking back to the outfitters and refusing a few trophy shipments when we are not told the cost...and we get TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF...there would be a big wake up call and things would go back to the good old days??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My African outfitter let the cat out of the bag so to speak.

On or last day in Africa we were on our way to the East London Airport. We were talking about day rates, trophy fees and the competitions way of charging vs his way ect ect.

He said there were many ways to get paid. Cheap day rate usually means more expensive things elsware.

In our case......dip and pack

My wife and I paid an average of $240 per animal for 10 animals for dip and pack.

From the overwhelming amount of PM'S I have received there is zero doubt left in my mind this was a back end way to make up for the inexpensive pacage price of $4500 hunter + $1000 observer with 6 animals plus 1 "free" to my wife after I expanded my take to 9 and spent $4500 more in trophy fees.

All in all it was a fabulous trip and a great time was had but as I get brushed up on the back side money I am learning.

I asked a lot of questions before this trip about budget and expenses......I just didn't ask the right questions or the right person.

I WILL NOT use the same African outfitter in the future with the dip and pack prices not being negotiated in advace

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dip & Pack Price-list from on of my connections in S A. Posted in Rand. Exchange rate is 11-1 right now. Even if you went to 10-1 or 9-1 this is very reasonable.

SPECIES SKULL CAPE BACK SKIN FULL SKIN FULL MOUNT
Aardvark R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Baboon R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Badger R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Bat-eared Fox R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Blesbok R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Buffalo R500 R520 R300 R600 R700
Bushbuck R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Bushpig R445 R325 R210 R420 R535
Caracal R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Cheetah R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Civet R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Duiker R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Eland R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Elephant R2 400 R1 500 R1 200 R2 700 R3 300
Gemsbok R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Genet R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Giraffe R700 R700 R500 R1 200 R1 700
Hartebeest R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Hippo R2 200 R900 R550 R1 200 R1 950
Hyaena R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Impala R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Jackal R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Klipspringer R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Kudu R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Lechwe R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Leopard R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Lion - Male R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Lioness R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Mongoose R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Monkey R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Nyala R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Ostrich Adult R360 R355 R220 R440 R575
Otter R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Porcupine R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Reedbuck Common / Mountain R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Rhino R1 800 R900 R550 R1 200 R1 950
Roan & Sable R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Serval R360 R290 R170 R340 R4605
Springbok R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Steenbok R360 R290 R170 R340 R460
Tsessebe R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Warthog R445 R325 R210 R420 R535
Waterbuck R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Wildebeest - Black R400 R325 R210 R420 R535
Wildebeest - Blue R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
Zebra R445 R355 R220 R440 R575
« back to the top

Simple conversion Kudu Cape and horns with exchange rate as of today $70.00

Gemsbok cape and horns $63.00

Bushbuck cape and horns $55.00

Wildebeest Cape and Horns $ 70.00

You can make it affordable to bring home your trophies to be done here and not have to sell the farm.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
What we call kickbacks is just how they help one another survive. Learn from the experience or just go with the flow. (Wait until your horns get burnt to charcoal and watch the "Not us/our guy didn't do it" happen.) Enjoy the hunt separately from the need to hang stuff around the house. You won't do better the next time, either. Sometimes the fox wins, and some time the hound does.

All this has been said before and 'Find" still works fine,

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The list posted by Wildlife Artistry seems "reasonable" -for what?....but then there is the freight to them, freight to the Freight Forwarder, the Freight Forwarders Fees, then you get to the Airline.

My point is there is NO VALUE ADDED here, 10 years ago these fees didn't EXIST!! The Outfitter handled it!!

Yes, once in a while we got a slipped hide....but this dip and pack probably won't stop that either.....that is field issues.

This all should be handled by the Outfitter and in his control, PART of the agreed fees...no surprises later!!

Friend of mine went on an Auction purchased hunt in New Zealand $3000US...Fallow deer and Arapawa ram included...he added 4 animals including a Silver Red Stag, and a helicopter Tahr and Chamois-GREAT HUNT!!....the dip and pack bill came- NZ2800 for 6 animals, that's almost $400/trophy plus $350 for the CRATE!! He was FURIOUS....and his booking agent had promised him he would being the trophies back with him...Misunderstanding??...and another $900 for the airfreight....and since they came in near booking agent, not client....$350 for Clearance...then he has to go get them...a day on the road and 300 miles...

FOLKS, THESE ADD ON FEES ARE MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL HUNT!!!

AGAIN,IT DIDN'T USED TO BE THIS WAY!! WHERE ARE WE HEADED? Push back and reason I hope or it is all over for me!! Yes, I can certainly pay it...But I WON'T!!

No Cheers HERE!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Graves
posted Hide Post
There is some good insight shared here, and I can agree on most all of it 100%.

I think I have about 80 animals in the process of coming to me in some form or another in the near future.

This subject can certainly become a thorn in a hunters side.

Posts: 56 | Location: United States | Registered: 11 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Artistry,

Does the prices you posted above for your d&p service also include boiling of the skulls? If not, what are the additional costs for those services?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a email out them to Make this Perfectly clear. Yes it includes boiling and getting the skulls / horns ready. If you see by the list there is fees for skull-horns, then cape, back skin if you want it, full hide ,if you just want horns, and flat hide, and Full life-size skin for a mount.

Yes you got freight, but that can be quoted out to 2 or 3 different shipping companies for best quote.And yes paperwork. I'll get the numbers soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another trip report bites the dust....Sorry you felt the need.

Did a modest plains game hunt with Sebra in Namibia past May.

Either Jan the owner or Mike his friend who posts here(m3taco) gave me his dip and pack taxidermists name.

Had no issue getting some ball park for dip and pack before trip on possible game that could be taken.....guesstimate was around $500 for 8 animals and it came in 50 less.....air quote was about 100 less from one shipping agent(Pronto). That was in Feb when I booked the trip.

So pre planning took 3 emails all told.

Everyone seems happy....left a nice tip to PH and staff, left cash with PH to pay taxidermy bill and that was easy, communications have been excellent from all involved including import agent(Matt Meyers via JFK).

Now all I need is a airplane ride for a crate after the typical Christmas break and I'm all set.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
graybird
Does the prices you posted above for your d&p service also include boiling of the skulls? If not, what are the additional costs for those services?

This should always be done by the outfitter in his salting shack....why pay someone else unless he is lazy??
Confused

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Out of my 8 safaris I have only 3 trophies. I live in a townhouse with very low ceilings and it has been fully decorated by my wife. There is no place for trophies even if I wanted them. I did get 2 Zebra rugs but they were gifts from my Outfitter and just came thru the mail folded and wrapped with paper. My last safari I decided to shoot a trophy male Elephant and bring the tusks home which I did for a rather large amount. Well worth it though as I write this I look at them in their mount on the coffee table and the hunt is as real as the day it was done in 2004. I was not much of a trophy hunter, I just wanted a representative animal of the species. Did once shoot a Duiker way up in the size charts for camp meat. Gave it to the farm operator where I was staying. I took a nice Sable which I gave a PH friend and the outfitter who became a close friend got my Oribi which was a nice one.Trophies just didn't enter into the mix,just the hunting. Did take lots of pictures though and the memories come back easily and cost nothing in the reliving. Given unlimited funds to do it over again I would do it the same way.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think I will ever ship any items again.

Getting ripped good $3,000 US to get our stuff from Moz to RSA.

That is only the short part of the trip.

This section of hunting has turned into a joke.

Dont worry about all the quotes and every thing before the hunt. It will all change.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EDDY - Maybe so, maybe not? Granted most operations "boil" and "salt" the stuff you shoot with them, but some do a whole lot better job than others. I have seen outfitters boil skulls until they are nothing more than a pile of calcium, showing no resemblance of the original product. The outfitter I hunt with buries the skulls in dirt infested with bugs to clean and prep the skulls. No boiling allowed. Things come out a whole lot better this way.

I agree some charges are somewhat bogus all along the way from PH to your door. Until there is some standardization of all involved you are pretty much at the mercy of the folks you choose to be involved in processing your stuff. Good planning with reputable folks gained thought advanced planning is a good way to keep those "extras" to a minimum.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
quote:
graybird

This should always be done by the outfitter in his salting shack....why pay someone else unless he is lazy??
Confused

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cameronaussie:
I dont think I will ever ship any items again.

Getting ripped good $3,000 US to get our stuff from Moz to RSA.

That is only the short part of the trip.

This section of hunting has turned into a joke.

Dont worry about all the quotes and every thing before the hunt. It will all change.

Regards Mark

Ouch ! who did you hunt with ?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you thank took the time and PM'd me

Some with advice....some with a story of financial horror they didn't want to make public

What I have found after browsing the net and listening to everyone here.....I got hosed by one or possibly two people in East London on D&P

I will no doubt get the shaft in my life again......but not from these fine fine South African "Businessmen"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Taxidermy and the associated costs are the dumbest way the AVERAGE (meaning not really wealthy) African hunter can spend his money. In many cases, the costs of taxidermy, etc will approach or even exceed the costs of another hunt. Seems kind of like a no-brainer choice to me.

This is only my opinion and obviously others have deeply held differing opinions. In my old age, I have decided that dead heads on the wall are just plain dumb, with some exceptions (child's first buck as an example, a world class animal such as a 60 inch Kudu for another).

I'm not trying to insult anyone, we have some great taxidermists on this site and if dead heads make you happy, it suits the hell out of me. It's your money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote