THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How frequent are animal attacks in an area?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How frequent are animal attacks in an area?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
My brother is a surgeon and has taken up a job in Maun, Botswana since mid April.

In the 4 months he has had patients who were bitten by a leopard, gored by a buffalo & now one gored by a rhino. The first two have recovered and the third one had surgery yesterday. The boy was bitten by the leopard in the head & body - 3 puncture spots in the skull! The photos are scary.

I understand that the hospital in Maun is the main medical facility in that region & so it will attract most of such patients.

The question is - Are such incidents normal / common?

In India - with the huge population, such incidents are (anecdotally) not so common even near major wildlife regions.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting post! Keep the pictures coming.

BTW: In India, people are being killed (some eaten) by Leopards quite often.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the boy was rather lucky, I know, that is a relative thing.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
In India the common leopard attacks are around the outskirts of Bombay Borivilli - Sanjay Gandhi National Park - where leopard numbers are very high and the restricted forest area is surrounded by densely populated urban growth.

Leopards regularly take people and dogs from houses. There is a video of one taking a pet dog from inside a house on AR Asian forum.

In most parts of India such attacks are extremely are.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thousands are killed and maimed annually by wild animal attacks in Africa.

This from the incomplete data we have available. The incidents are no doubt under-reported.

Such a state of affairs would not be tolerated in the so-called first world, and is why large, truly wild, dangerous animals are doomed.

It is just a matter of time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nakihunter. Interesting times for your brother!

Whilst working in Tanzania I learnt that the locals would not admit to any animal attacks at all. In fact it wasn't until working in an area that you would learn of a child killed by a buffalo, a drunk on his bicycle killed by an elephant etc. All in the past few months or so in the one small village! Never mind the croc's.

One area my guys would not get out of the 4wd as we were very close to the Selous and it was hunting season, they said the animals come out of the park and attack surrounding villages etc. This was a woodland area and could hide most anything. As it was we saw a leopard mid morning that we were looking over the top of in grass 15m in front of us for a couple of minutes without 'seeing' it!

Lots of stories like this. Locals will not tell you for a variety of reasons, one being when you find chui tracks where we were told there were none "if we told you there were chui, you wouldn't come and work here!"

DRSS

Posts: 1894 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't crocs and hippos the top two killers in Africa? Might be a shortage of evidence afterwards. Just "disappeared...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9404 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting side note is that, at least in Tanzania, where these attacks generally happen; small, underdeveloped and undereducated villages, a majority of the people don't blame the animal for the attack, but assume it was the work of a witch doctor who took the animals form or instructed the animal to attack the person.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any other pictures or info...I would like to keep this thread going.

Very interesting and not the usual BS

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
I watched a programme earlier this year on TV about a schoolteacher in Northern India who had shot 39 man eating leopards.
After the 3rd pupil in his class disappeared he applied for a licence to hunt the maneater.
He is equipped with a Lee Enfield in possibly 303 or 308 topped of with a rather junky scope.
I would love to send him a decent one.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:
I watched a programme earlier this year on TV about a schoolteacher in Northern India who had shot 39 man eating leopards.
After the 3rd pupil in his class disappeared he applied for a licence to hunt the maneater.
He is equipped with a Lee Enfield in possibly 303 or 308 topped of with a rather junky scope.

His name is Lakhapat Singh Rawat, he had a blog, but it hasn't been updated in about a year. Might still be able to contact him.

Looks like he got his 45th last October.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9404 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkhand, in India, regularly face depredations of man eater cats, mostly leopards and a few tigers.

The mountainous terrain and thick jungles keeps the odds in favor of the cat.

Herewith a recent post of someone presently hunting a man eating leopard:

"Spent a couple of weeks in Didihat. A small town 50 kms from Pithoragarh . A remote part of Kumaon close to Nepal.
It was an interesting experience which I would like to share with fellow members.
The "maneater" has been operating for almost 2 years now and has killed and eaten 12 adults till date.
The most famous of hunters Lakhpat Singh Rawat was already busy dealing with a maneater in Bageshwar.
Kr Sanjay Singh (my friend) was occupied with his personal matters .
So it came as a surprise to me when I got a call to hunt the beast.
My application to hunt maneaters in my state had been lying for a few years with the Chief Wildlife Warden of the state.
I grabbed on the opportunity. Postponed all appointments. Annoyed some old patients and packed my bags on my first individual maneater hunt. I had some experience of hunting maneaters with my friend Sanjay Singh previously. But would that experience be enough to gun down a seasoned maneater like this one? I thought.
The monster had killed and eaten 12 men in the past.
This came as a surprise to me.
Normally a leopard first becomes a cattle lifter .It then kills small children. Graguates further to kill ladies and then men.
This maneater was one in the true sense. It only killed and attacked MEN.
After a long 14 hours drive Zaheer and I reached Pithoragarh where we went straight to the DFOs office.
The DFO was out of station but our permit had already been signed and was duly handed over to us by the SDO.
I requested to the SDO to take us to meet the only survivor who was recovering in the District Hospital across the road.
The man was a tall, well built , retd fauji (soldier) who narrated the incidence to us .
He had finished his dinner and gone out to wash his plate when the beast came in from behind and pounced upon him.
By chance the other members of the family and villagers rushed in and the beast left his victim mauled and bleeding.
The scars on his head , neck and stomach were testimony to the gruesome attack.
We were dealing with a dreaded killer. A cold blooded murderer who had no fear of MAN.
The monsoons were here.
The undergrowth thick.
This was the worst time of the year to go after an experienced killer."

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DEHRADUN: In the third incident of leopard attack in past one month, a six-month pregnant woman has been killed by a leopard in Tehri district, forest officials said on Sunday.

The leopard was later shot dead by a hunter. "The leopard attacked Subodhni Devi (23) of Aali village on Saturday while she was collecting grass from the forest along with some other women. The man eater, hiding in the bushes attacked her from behind," Sub-divisional forest officer Hemshankar Maindola said.

"After fellow women cried for help, the leopard took her into the forest. A half-eaten corpse of the woman was later recovered after a search operation," he added.

Earlier, a four-year-old girl from the same village and an elder man of Kot village were killed by the animal.

Taking cognisance of the turn of events, the forest department hired a shooter who shot dead the leopard late on Saturday evening.

The leopard was a male aged around nine years and his body has been sent for postmortem, Maindola added.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other hunter pictured in his blog carries an old Mannlicher, presumably in 9 or 9,5mm MS, very interesting thread this..!

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another one Naki:

Uttarakhand: 56-year-old woman kills leopard with axe and sickle
HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times Dehradun, August 25, 2014

A 56-year-old woman in Uttarakhand has killed a leopard with a sickle and an axe in a fierce battle that lasted some 30 minutes.

56-year old Kamla Devi who killed a leopard in self defence, in Uttarakhand. (Shrikrishan Uniyal/HT Photo)
The leopard attacked Kamla Devi, a resident of Koti village in Rudrparayag district, when she was irrigating a field on Sunday morning.

She reportedly fought off the big cat with an axe and a sickle, and sustained serious injuries. Devi is undergoing treatment at Srinagar Garhwal Base hospital.

"At first, I was terrified. But, then I gathered my courage to fight back. I promised myself that this is not my last day here," Devi told HT over phone on Monday.

Her husband, Dev Singh, died a few years ago due to illness. Her only son is working in the hotel industry in Delhi. Devi stays with her relatives in Koti.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
Originally posted by SIKA98K:

His name is Lakhapat Singh Rawat, he had a blog, but it hasn't been updated in about a year. Might still be able to contact him.

Looks like he got his 45th last October.

A modern day Jim Corbett..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been to India but I find it and its leopards and tigers really something.I guess it is a wonderful place full of natural beauty and a rich hunting history.Although I feel sad for all the victims of DG anywhere in the world, I find such stories captivating-kind of like a child reading some thrilling dangerous hunting stories in a far off land.
Incredible images in the blog.Thanks for posting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That looks very much like my take down 9.5X57 MS. After the 6.5X54 that is the most common caliber MS rifle that I have come across. I have never seen a 8X56MS or 9X56 MS in India.

quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
The other hunter pictured in his blog carries an old Mannlicher, presumably in 9 or 9,5mm MS, very interesting thread this..!

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
That's one tough lady.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
That's one tough lady.

+1!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,

Great thread, some really interesting accounts. Gruesome pictures of the victims thou.
I'll try find some pictures of an old fellow who got quite severely mauled by a good sized tom leopard in Ngamiland, Botswana.
regards
Leon

posted Hide Post
The school teacher uses an IOFB .315 rifle. It based on an old army 8X51 or something thereabouts.

Posts: 8 | Location: New Delhi, India | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The photos show his old rifle to be a Lee Enfield made or refurbished by IOF at Ishapore. It could have a 315 barrel (8X57) or it might be the original 303.

The IOF 315 rifles that I have seen were all old Military Mausers that were re-done with terrible stocks from local wood. Some of those barrels were old military ones that were not very accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by chaunfa:
The school teacher uses an IOFB .315 rifle. It based on an old army 8X51 or something thereabouts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeetshot:
The states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarkhand, in India, regularly face depredations of man eater cats, mostly leopards and a few tigers.

The mountainous terrain and thick jungles keeps the odds in favor of the cat.

Herewith a recent post of someone presently hunting a man eating leopard:

"Spent a couple of weeks in Didihat. A small town 50 kms from Pithoragarh . A remote part of Kumaon close to Nepal.
It was an interesting experience which I would like to share with fellow members.
The "maneater" has been operating for almost 2 years now and has killed and eaten 12 adults till date.
The most famous of hunters Lakhpat Singh Rawat was already busy dealing with a maneater in Bageshwar.
Kr Sanjay Singh (my friend) was occupied with his personal matters .
So it came as a surprise to me when I got a call to hunt the beast.
My application to hunt maneaters in my state had been lying for a few years with the Chief Wildlife Warden of the state.
I grabbed on the opportunity. Postponed all appointments. Annoyed some old patients and packed my bags on my first individual maneater hunt. I had some experience of hunting maneaters with my friend Sanjay Singh previously. But would that experience be enough to gun down a seasoned maneater like this one? I thought.
The monster had killed and eaten 12 men in the past.
This came as a surprise to me.
Normally a leopard first becomes a cattle lifter .It then kills small children. Graguates further to kill ladies and then men.
This maneater was one in the true sense. It only killed and attacked MEN.
After a long 14 hours drive Zaheer and I reached Pithoragarh where we went straight to the DFOs office.
The DFO was out of station but our permit had already been signed and was duly handed over to us by the SDO.
I requested to the SDO to take us to meet the only survivor who was recovering in the District Hospital across the road.
The man was a tall, well built , retd fauji (soldier) who narrated the incidence to us .
He had finished his dinner and gone out to wash his plate when the beast came in from behind and pounced upon him.
By chance the other members of the family and villagers rushed in and the beast left his victim mauled and bleeding.
The scars on his head , neck and stomach were testimony to the gruesome attack.
We were dealing with a dreaded killer. A cold blooded murderer who had no fear of MAN.
The monsoons were here.
The undergrowth thick.
This was the worst time of the year to go after an experienced killer."

Hi Skeetshot,I know you and Prashant are after that Didihat maneater.I am coming to Uttrakhand and Himachal early November and if you want 500 lumen plus flashlights that use standard batteries,send me a PM.We can meet in Chandigarh or your place in Dehradun. Good luck with your quest.

Posts: 14 | Location: u s | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Posts: 76 | Location: INDIA | Registered: 27 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Very interesting blog indeed. 2011 was a gory time for some unfortunate villagers.

The hunters must be very skilled to take on such a large number of man eaters.

Details of the hunting of these beasts would be welcome reading on this site.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post

Another incident from my brother in Maun, Botswana - a hippo attack. According to latest report received today this picture is the "easy part". The upper teeth had punctured his bladder. My brother lost his weekend .....

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Will he survive?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your brother "lost his weekend"!!? He's a doctor for feks sake! What do you think the hippo bite victim lost? More than a bloody weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One area my guys would not get out of the 4wd as we were very close to the Selous and it was hunting season, they said the animals come out of the park and attack surrounding villages etc.

The only time and for a relatively short period (during the hunting ban) there had been several reports of half-starved hyenas attacking villagers (children in particular - less resistant one supposes) from homesteads (Tapika and Ngarambe) adjacent to the Reserve boundary.

This phenomenon was attributed (wrongly or rightly) to the suspension of hunting activities in the SGR and the scavengers in these two particular areas seemed unable to fend for themselves, thus resorting to "easier-pickings".

Ironically enough, once the hunting resumed the attacks dwindled and nothing more was ever heard of or said.

Other than the occasionally rare Lion attack, I have never heard of Leopard bothering humans in these areas.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Easy there dyker. I know Naki didn't mean it in the way you took it Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Dyker let me see you at the age of 61 go to Maun and work for 5 months with 2 week ends off & follow up calls on all surgical patients at your own initiative and then repeat that comment!

Will you work in a situation where 80% of surgical patients & 50% of nurses are HIV positive?

BTW - for other more insightful members - this is the 4th animal attack case my brother has attended in 6 months of working there. He has had cases from attacks by leopard, rhino, buffalo & now hippo.

PS / Edited - Bakes - thanks mate.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
at the age of 61 go to Maun and work for 5 months with 2 week ends off & follow up calls on all surgical patients at your own initiative

Will you work in a situation where 80% of surgical patients & 50% of nurses are HIV positive?

Talk about a nose to the grinding stone , high risk job..... This is obviously his passion.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote