New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAM- Honor Ammo Shop
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Without going through all of the grizzly details, it appears that this place is nothing but a SCAM. Had I looked more carefully before I purchased ammo from them, I probably would have figured it out. Teach me to get an assistant to order for me.

Buyer beware!

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I wish there was a way to find these people and burn them at the stake. I hate a thief like no other.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest problems with gun forums (unrelated I know), is that they have become rife with scammers.

Add that to the idea that so many scam websites are popping up every day.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Without going through all of the grizzly details, it appears that this place is nothing but a SCAM. Had I looked more carefully before I purchased ammo from them, I probably would have figured it out. Teach me to get an assistant to order for me.

Buyer beware!

Could we get some details to know what to avoid? Thanks!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1540 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
quote:

Buyer beware!

I needed some 6.5 CM ammo. My assistant found this website. We ordered 500 rounds. The first warning was that they wanted to be paid by Venmo only. I was skeptical but it was not a large amount of money . I figured what the hell.

After a couple of weeks, Ammo has not been delivered . I sent a message multiple ways . No response .

I called the number listed . No such number exists. Then I noticed the toll free number was 123-4567.

I looked up the address on line . No way in hell it is a gun shop.

Then I researched them on line . Lots of problems.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry for sharing.

If one does a "Honor Ammo Shop" search on the internet you will find many complaints.

The company is out of California and does not have a better business bureau accreditation.

And has a "F" rating from the BBB.

All the posted complaints that I was able to read, products were paid for and there was no delivery.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
The best way to avoid scams is simply don't buy from any business that doesn't accept credit cards. If buying from an individual make sure they have a long history on the site where they're advertising something for sale and check for feedback on the site.

I recently saw on that other African hunting site where a new member advertised a rifle for sale with his first post. One of the long time members bought the gun but told the seller he would send payment via certified funds when the gun arrived at his FFL. The seller agreed and both parties were happy.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why are the payment companies protect the clients?

In this case Vinmo?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This truly Sucks Larry.

I don’t do any payments systems outside of credit cards for anything electronic. Even PayPal I run thru my credit card. And I prefer not to use PayPal.

I am happy sending a check. The us banking system for individuals is primitive compared to rest of the world but it has good legal protection for consumers.

I hate sending international wires for all the African hunting stuff.

I don’t allow my bank to send a wire for more than $5k without me being physically present.

Also assume anyone taking bitcoin or crypto for payments has a high fraud barrier to pass.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That really sucks.

The name is shady in the first place, I suppose.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, venmo has zero protection built in. It is horrible. It is for face to face transactions or for friend to friend payments. It is a horrible avenue for buying things online, but so many people want payment that way because it's super easy.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike B.:
Saeed, venmo has zero protection built in. It is horrible. It is for face to face transactions or for friend to friend payments. It is a horrible avenue for buying things online, but so many people want payment that way because it's super easy.

PayPal is also terrible. A friend from Argentina sent me funds to buy an iPad. They have been in jail for over two weeks while PayPal is getting interest. It’s about $800, but if they do that multiple times, they are making a killing off interest.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:

The biggest red flag on many of these scam sites is the payment methods. They all will want payment through a system that has no recourse if the deal goes bad. Various payment methods, Zelle, Venmo, PayPal friends and family (F&F), or any type of Crypto currency have no recourse to the buyer if no service/merchandise is received. Often other things will tip you off, Larry mentioned the 1-800 number, it is a small detail many might miss.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

PayPal is also terrible. A friend from Argentina sent me funds to buy an iPad. They have been in jail for over two weeks while PayPal is getting interest. It’s about $800, but if they do that multiple times, they are making a killing off interest.

They are still holding about $2,700 from the Phil Smythe raffle because we violated their rules by having a gun raffle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense but the first sign of a problem should have been the prices and availability. 500 rounds of 300 WM ready to go for $250. I don't even own a 300 but I would if I could get ammo for that price. I bet they've made a killing over the last few months. It looks like the domain was set up in Nov of 2020.

123-4567 is kind of funny though.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps what is needed is to bring back stoning as a punishment for scammers and hackers.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 260 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:
No offense but the first sign of a problem should have been the prices and availability. 500 rounds of 300 WM ready to go for $250. I don't even own a 300 but I would if I could get ammo for that price. I bet they've made a killing over the last few months. It looks like the domain was set up in Nov of 2020.

I agree. The reality is that I had an assistant look. I am so damn busy this time of year that I didn’t look into it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL19:

I agree. The reality is that I had an assistant look. I am so damn busy this time of year that I didn’t look into it .

Gotcha. The website does look pretty legitimate.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Anything that is a facebook link is a scame.

If you see it as a popup on facebook it is a scame.

I bought $800 worth of Legos for my kids, for $200. Never seen them.

My employee bought $500 worth of boots from Ariat. Same deal.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their address is CA but they say their gun range is in the Adirondacks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Buyer beware!

I needed some 6.5 CM ammo. My assistant found this website. We ordered 500 rounds. The first warning was that they wanted to be paid by Venmo only. I was skeptical but it was not a large amount of money . I figured what the hell.

After a couple of weeks, Ammo has not been delivered . I sent a message multiple ways . No response .

I called the number listed . No such number exists. Then I noticed the toll free number was 123-4567.

Midway has some 6.5 CM. 142gr Accubonds LR.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Buyer beware!

Midway has some 6.5 CM. 142gr Accubonds LR.

Just got 25 boxes elsewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
SOBs. Probably Russians.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of my higher dollar rifles have been offered for 50c on the $ on gunbroker, photos lifted from other websites, verbatim descriptions, over the last month. Each time a new seller with no feedback. Gunbroker is pretty poor at policing this, they have not taken these auctions down even when I have brought the matter to their attention.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be some should pay the owners a visit?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Gotsoma safaris...

www.gotsomasafaris.co.za

Stay away by all means.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have alerted Venmo.

We re also asking AMEX to reverse the charge.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
Several of my higher dollar rifles have been offered for 50c on the $ on gunbroker, photos lifted from other websites, verbatim descriptions, over the last month. Each time a new seller with no feedback. Gunbroker is pretty poor at policing this, they have not taken these auctions down even when I have brought the matter to their attention.

Facebook is the same. I report ads there daily. They disappear from my feed but they rarely take them down. Saw one yesterday for alligator or crocodile dress loafers for $58 and belts for $28. Sure .......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buying from a company that accepts credit cards does not protect you from being scammed. It does help for the second rate scammers that do not know what they are doing. First rate scammers have that issue all worked out. Here is how they do it from personnel experience.

We use a high end credit card that has first rate scam protection. My wife order several hundred dollars of stuff from a web site she found on Facebook (first mistake). the web site was very well done and looked legit She got a confirmation email and everything looked good. Several weeks went by with no correspondence from company. Send email and got a reply in a few days that package was being processed. No more info from company for several days. Sent repeated emails no response. Called my credit card and reported possible fraud. Credit card said they would reverse the charge and investigate and if the charge proved legit they would recharge my card. Perfect..... 3 weeks go by and I get a letter from credit card that states the charge is legit and they recharged the card. In the letter it had a shipping date of a week after i contested the charge and a tracking number, the shipment was coming from china via chinapost. Tracking said it was on plane in route. Tracking never changed over 3 months, always in route. Finally after 5 months I get package. I open package and am surprised to find a cheap pair of knockoff sunglasses instead of the stuff we ordered.

This is the perfect scam because this is where I stand now:
1. the company sent me "something"
2. The company does not respond to emails or any other correspondence.
3. The credit card company says it it not their issue because the company send me "goods", it not their fault the company send me the wrong stuff and to take it up with the company.

The end result is for the more sophisticated scammer once you send the payment no matter how it is done, (credit card, PayPal etc.) your money is gone and you have no recourse. The moral is that no matter how legit the website is if you do not know the company you are taking a risk ordering no matter how you pay.

Posts: 480 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an identical FB/China experience with a pair of sneakers. But the credit card company reversed the charges as they were fake goods. Perhaps your purchases weren't a particular brand name as they do have a knock offs clause.
quote:
Originally posted by MtElkHunter:
Buying from a company that accepts credit cards does not protect you from being scammed. It does help for the second rate scammers that do not know what they are doing. First rate scammers have that issue all worked out. Here is how they do it from personnel experience.

We use a high end credit card that has first rate scam protection. My wife order several hundred dollars of stuff from a web site she found on Facebook (first mistake). the web site was very well done and looked legit She got a confirmation email and everything looked good. Several weeks went by with no correspondence from company. Send email and got a reply in a few days that package was being processed. No more info from company for several days. Sent repeated emails no response. Called my credit card and reported possible fraud. Credit card said they would reverse the charge and investigate and if the charge proved legit they would recharge my card. Perfect..... 3 weeks go by and I get a letter from credit card that states the charge is legit and they recharged the card. In the letter it had a shipping date of a week after i contested the charge and a tracking number, the shipment was coming from china via chinapost. Tracking said it was on plane in route. Tracking never changed over 3 months, always in route. Finally after 5 months I get package. I open package and am surprised to find a cheap pair of knockoff sunglasses instead of the stuff we ordered.

This is the perfect scam because this is where I stand now:
1. the company sent me "something"
2. The company does not respond to emails or any other correspondence.
3. The credit card company says it it not their issue because the company send me "goods", it not their fault the company send me the wrong stuff and to take it up with the company.

The end result is for the more sophisticated scammer once you send the payment no matter how it is done, (credit card, PayPal etc.) your money is gone and you have no recourse. The moral is that no matter how legit the website is if you do not know the company you are taking a risk ordering no matter how you pay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Facebook is the same. I report ads there daily. They disappear from my feed but they rarely take them down. Saw one yesterday for alligator or crocodile dress loafers for $58 and belts for $28. Sure .......

I run a small facebook group of a couple of thousand members. After some spam accounts came in I set up some questions to enter the group. Between 2/3 and 3/4 of requests clearly come from bots or spam accounts (answers like 'I love gruop', 'yes' to a question where the answer can be found in another question, accounts which are registered days before the request). It would be easy for facebook to add a button where I can delete the request, and at the same time report the account. But they don't do that, it's not in their interest. But facebook is quickly turning into a very murky place right now. I can't imagine what damage bots can do these days when they're run with advanced AI capabilities. It would be easy to run political campaigns on facebook, for any country and any party you want, spread anti-vax stuff, create division, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In every credit card dispute I have been involved with, there is a scenario where you can claim if they sent you something other than what you ordered. But the catch is you only have 90 days to file a claim. So if the scammer can fend you off for 90 days and then sends you the wrong stuff, you are in a hole.

If the CC company denies your claim the first time, you can usually appeal that within x days.

I can see the gray area where a skilled scammer can slip thru the cracks as described.

I think if the seller cannot produce a tracking number by day 30, you should cancel the order in writing and file for a refund.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep that is exactly what happened here. The company knew what they were doing. They drug it out for months until all avenues of recourse were expired. The CC company said it is between you and the company and the company is not responding. I tired refiling a claim with the CC company and got back that the package is on the way and tied up by covid. Finally when the package got here then it was to late.

After 6 months of dealing with this I finally decided the aggravation was not worth the couple hindered bucks and just wrote off the money and calked it up to lesson learned.

Posts: 480 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
primers12.com

I just found this one while looking for Varget.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:

On a similar note, I’ve been bombarded with “friend” requests over the past week that have ammo in the handle somewhere. Many have similar friends, so I suppose hunting groups have been infiltrated. I did accept one early on that had a number of common friends, then immediately started getting messages.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did turn this jack ass in to Venmo. Perhaps they will close his account.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure just got taken by Glockgy Ammo in Georgia. $234 and some change

Posts: 1845 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
I am pretty sure just got taken by Glockgy Ammo in Georgia. $234 and some change

Most likely

They use the same address as Glock USA.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got this email from wells fargo today - good advice

Mike

How to spot an online shopping scam
4 signs to look for
Over the past year we’ve changed our habits and taken more of our shopping online, and scammers have taken notice. Scammers are creating legitimate-looking sites using stolen images and fake assurances to take advantage of people purchasing from unfamiliar sellers. Some are even preying on people looking to buy a pet or other big-ticket item, touting fake offers for “contactless delivery” that could leave customers empty-handed and out hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Scammers have your online shopping on their radar
Here's what to look for:

Unreal deals. Scammers may lure you in with a deeply discounted offer that seems too good to be true, only to tack on fees or fake COVID-related costs once you make the first payment.

Unknown sellers. Anyone can set up an online shop or post an ad on social media. If you can, have a video call with the seller to meet them and see what you’re buying, especially if it’s a big-ticket item like a used car or pet. If you are looking for a pet, please consider adopting locally to help ensure a safe experience.

Pressure to buy. Be wary of any seller who pressures you to buy right away or asks you to pay using a digital payment service such as Zelle®, wire transfers, or even gift cards — none of which provide payment protection. Use a credit card if you can.

Bad reviews. Do an online search on the seller, product, and related scams by using terms like “review,” “complaint,” or “scam”. No reviews can be a red flag too. Get a second opinion from a friend or family member.
See scam stories
Be aware: Payment apps, gift cards, and wire transfers do not have protection like a credit card or debit card, so you may not get your money back once it’s been sent.
Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.