Need your opinion on a rifle build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Just buy a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in .300 WinMag for around $1100 and you’re done.

The logical and unemotional decision.It's probably the best one too.

This is not about logic. This is vanity and fun.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
375 H&H. Ammo is readily available. Same ballistics as 30-06 but hits harder. What’s not to like ?

One rifle for the world! The cartridges suggested by most here are not legal for everything in every place, for anything larger than the antelope species in most of the world. Anything smaller than the 375 H&H magnum will be useless in most of Africa for the big five, excepting the leopard.

Get yourself a fine bolt action 300 Win mag, for the small game, and a good CRF action 375H&H mag, shooting 300 gr solids & softs, and go get
the cape buffalo and other members of the big five.
…...…...…...……...…..If you want only one rifle, then it should be a 375 H&H mag.
…...…...……......………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
338 Win Mag. I used to have one and let my wife borrow it. I now don't and she does! She's taken at least 30 animals with it. Happens to be an older Sako Finnbear that got restocked (McMillan) and rebarreled (Lilja) and it shoots 225 and 250 grainers very, very well.

Ammo readily available in lots of flavors, recoil is almost in line with the 300 win mag, and the heavy alternative bullets allow for flexibility on elk+ sized critters, including moose and bear. (and eland!!) She's also taken an elk at 260 yds, an oryx at 220, and several zebra from close to ~200 yds. Very seldom does she get a bullet back, using A-Frames or Barnes.

Nothing wrong with a 300 mag. Just that the 338 is as good and maybe a little bit better in terms of flexibility. 340 Wby is also great and that's my currently possessed dream rifle, with walnut stock and ivory forend. But ammo isn't as available and recoil is a bit more. Same for the 338RUM and Lapua. More isn't necessarily better for hunters, once beyond the 338.

My two cents! Most of all - congrats and go for it!!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What Saeed says

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
A Ralf Martini .300 H&H on a Hagen action. Want to buy mine?

Interested for sure! Sent a note to pm.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went through this process. I went with 338 Win Mag. I plan to hunt elk a lot, and also a couple moose.

If the bigger animals were not in my plans, I probably would have gone with a 300 Win Mag.

I would also give the 300 H&H some consideration. I think the 300 H&H is the prettiest cartridge ever made!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is not about logic. This is vanity and fun.

Ok, then. Try a 325 WSM or the 300 PRC. Both will kill everything on the planet short of the required calibers for Africa, and even then, most of that stuff too, if the calibers were legal for the same. I have killed so many critters in Alaska, Africa, the Western U.S. and Mexico with the 325 WSM that it is like my right arm. BUT, vanity and fun doesn't mean that you can get ammo for those when you are hunting in some off-of-the way place and need it. Big Grin My 325 WSM is a custom rifle from MG Arms out of Texas. My 300 PRC is a Christensen Arms rifle out of Gunnison, Utah. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat you are clearly an experienced hunter from CO and enjoy international hunting. I m sure we ll hear your opinion also. Is there a best golf club for all courses? Since you hunt one presumes elk etc in CO you may lean to a longer range rifle, something like a .338, the exact one determined by range. While I ve used a 30-378 WBY for elk and deer, it’s heavy, but very accurate to 1200 yds. Depends how much walking. Certainly if more Africa and Alaska a .375. Having said that, although not my all round rifle, one could argue for closer ranges using a .458 Lott, 500 grains for bigger game, and 300-350 grain or smaller game and get out to 300yds. I ve carried one day in day out in Africa. Might be looking for PG but how many times has not DG shown up?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LR3
I just moved to CO and will hunt elk here and in Wyoming and NM. Elk are fun and stand in for kudu when I am not in Africa.

I am "betwixt and between" on the caliber choice - I love the .280 Rem, 7mm Rem mag, .300 H&H, .300 WM, .375 H&H. I have a great .416 Rigby and do not need two - one thumps me enough!

.270 feels small, 6.5 Creedmore is too trendy, .338 WM is on the short list but I have not shot it much. Honestly, am thinking 9.3 x 62 but that is close to the .375 H&H.

When in doubt, I usually grab a .300 WM or HH. For USA hunting, nearly all with my .280 or 7mm. Elk with .300 or .338 even though the .280 has killed many as has the 7mm.

I am thinking "elegantly understated" for this rifle build.

I have too many girlfriends....

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I evolve as a hunter/shooter what I find best as the main hunting rifles to have are as follows- a 450NE or a 500NE double and a spare.A quality 458 Lott bolt action and a simple 300WM.ALL other rifles should be used for practice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, if you think the 9.3x62 is too close to the 375, then do some reading on the 35 Whelen. It’s right on the heels of the 338, but without the punishing recoil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 that is styled after a Rigby bolt rifle with a 3X9 Swarovski scope. Hand loads to do anything needed.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

As much as I think the 9.3x62 is a great round it really doesn't fit your criterion if you are looking for an all around non-dangerous game caliber. I personally have the 9.3x66/370 Sako that is a little more than the 62 but it still is not what I'd choose for longer shots. If you just want a 9.3x62 because you've never had one go for it. It might be a great choice for that brown bear hunt you're contemplating.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stainless G-Series M70 in 300 Win Mag

This, built by D'Arcy Echols in a Legend Custom with all the options is my dream rifle. D'Arcy Echols' work truly epitomizes what the most talented custom rifle makers in the world should be crafting.

D'Arcy Echols Legend Rifles are high on beauty, classic lines, traditional craftsmanship, pure function and are hands down the best built rifles for extreme hunting where reliability, ruggedness and accuracy are paramount to save your life, put meat on the table and hunt on once in a lifetime adventures.

The same can be said of the fine work of Gene Simillion. Both good men and master rifler makers.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag --- that's the "get r' done" flavor of choice --- no fluff no muss -- the standard round to wich many others refer to for comparison.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 924 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
LR3
am thinking 9.3 x 62......

If you want something a little different, you might consider the 8x68s. It is much more versatile that the 9.3's. It will also kill any North American game you hunt and is flat shooting.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Christensen Arms Mesa in 300 Win mag or 300 PRC
if the belt on the 300 WM triggers your OCD

Both with a Barnes 180 TSX

Like the option of the muzzle brake.

Not a build, but there's a lot to be said for
immediate gratification.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get a definitive answer let me know, you just discovered the holy grail.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Hunting everything, at any distance, 300 RUM.

Mine is a 30/404, for non dangerous game.

Anything else, 375/404.

I agree. Only thing I don't like about the RUM is the long length vs distance to the lands, but it kicks butt esp with heavy bullets. Only thing that could compete is a .338/404 which is essentially a 338 Edge or RUM.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
.300 Win Mag

Defiance Deviant Hunter Action
Proof Research Sendero 26" barrel 1:10 twist
McMillian or similar stock

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Ross,

I'd buy (and I'm going to Smiler ) a Proof Research Glacier in .300 PRC.

They are kick ass rifles!

They were at the Sheep Show (and I think Dallas) and likely will be at SCI I'd imagine.

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If you get a definitive answer let me know, you just discovered the holy grail.. rotflmo

Really - still struggling for no other reason than I have a couple of .300WM's, a couple of 7mm Rem mag's and a great .280 Rem. I am testing a .338 WM to see if I like it.
I have a couple of .375 HH's that are killers. I am thinking 7x57 but that is a slight step down from the .280.

I am over thinking this way too much. Kind like choosing between twin Miss America's....

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... Honestly, am thinking 9.3 x 62

Honestly, What your hunting is what I built my 9.3x62 for !!!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Anything else, 375/404.

I agree. Only thing I don't like about the RUM is the long length vs distance to the lands, but it kicks butt esp with heavy bullets. Only thing that could compete is a .338/404 which is essentially a 338 Edge or RUM.

I’m with you AAZW. I wish the .300 RUM had less free bore, or in the alternative, could be loaded to a longer COAL.

Some rifles shoot sweetly nonetheless, but some don’t, and I’ve never been able to figure out why they would do that with the same COAL and chamber dimensions.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Anything else, 375/404.

I’m with you AAZW. I wish the .300 RUM had less free bore, or in the alternative, could be loaded to a longer COAL.

Some rifles shoot sweetly nonetheless, but some don’t, and I’ve never been able to figure out why they would do that with the same COAL and chamber dimensions.

I think one of the huge advantages to the 300 PRC, 28 Nosler, et al is that they have a large case capacity without being excessively long, thus allowing you greater seating options - and with that bullet not sticking way down the case, it does free up some space for powder.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Bell chose the 7x57

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I guess the romantic in me would have to go with a 300 H&H or maybe a 318WR. As to the action, many 98 types out there to choose from, but one thing for sure; ANYTHING BUT a 700 action...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just underwent similar and had Wayne upgrade a CZ550 300 win mag in a Kevlar stock to match my 375 H&H. FedEx is set to deliver today.

Aside from mountain hunts, these two should allow me to do all of my big game hunting globally (or as globally as I can finance). A sheep hunt would require me acquiring something on the lighter side.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Ross, as you know there is nothing wrong with a 300 Win Mag or 375 H&H. I have used both and think they’re versatile and excellent. That said, I bought a Model 70 in 338 Win Mag in 1985 for a bear hunt on Kodiak. Since then, that 338 has been my ‘go-to’ rifle the vast majority of the time. The 338 is simply an excellent cartridge, hard hitting, reasonably flat shooting, versatile and very manageable recoil that is similar to a 300 Winchester.

90% of all my hunting is with my 338 or 264 win Mag, with the 338 being used most of the time. I’m on my 2nd barrel for both of those rifles.

While you may choose a different caliber, you can’t go wrong with a 338 Winchester for what you’re describing.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A BCR in 7x57 with traditional takedown system.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Photos of the rifle I mentioned earlier.

Butch's Stalking Rifle in Takedown model.

300 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back when worldwide safaris were gaining in popularity, it seems the 300 Wby was the caliber of choice.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I say go with the .338-06.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

If no long distance is involved, either a 270 or a 30-06.

Anything else, 375/404.

I am following the above advice for the non-dangerous game.

Building a .300 RUM.
LH CRF Deviant Hunter action with 3 pos. safety should be on the way this week.
After the 10 day waiting period it goes to SSK industries to get barreled (helical fluting on a Douglas or Krieger).
Then to Accurate Innovations for stock
Back to SSK for final check and then to me.

The only thing undecided yet is the type of stock, whether to have a laminate by AI or a Turkish stock that I can provide.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, DG is off the list. No need for a 40+ caliber.

What is left? Depends on what you hunt.

I hunt Pronghorn Antelope, Deer, Elk & Moose mostly in NA. I hunt PG in Africa. I live in Colorado.

Big bores are out. That leaves medium and small bores. A medium can do all a small bore can, but not vice versa.

So, I contend we're looking at medium bores.

My favorite medium bores are: 375, 9.3x62 or 66, 35 and 338.

375 is too heavy and not needed for my animals, although it would work, but perhaps more challenging on long shots. Having said that though, the longest successful shot I've taken is 360 yards on a Pronghorn.

9.3s are a bit too slow for the long shots one may get some day.

My favorite is the 35 Whelen, but like the 9.3s, a bit slow for long distance on heavy PG.

I guess for a one rifle "do it all", I'm left with the 338. I own 338WMs and a 338-06. For this situation, I would have to pick the 338 WM. More distance potential and better ammo availability, especially in Africa.

I would much prefer my favorite small bore 25-06 or 280 Rem. for Pronghorn and deer, but this is a one-rifle proposition. So, there ya' go; disqualified. Frowner

I would agree with Mike Dettorre also, that the 30-06 in his suggested configuration would be pretty hard to beat. Ammo can be easily found in Africa where I enjoy hunting, and it will work on all PG, if not the best choice for some of the bigger ones.

I would have to consider this question further over some Gin & Tonics before I could choose between a 338WM or a 30-06! beer

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not as interested in what a rifle looks like as I am in how it feels in my hands, but mostly how well it shoots.
That said, I think I would like a 35 Whelen for the caliber & an older 700 action.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My first two safaris to Namibia I brought my own Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM, topped by a Leupold Vari-X II in 3.5 X10X 40. After the airlines started charging extra for gun cases, I switched to my PH’s camp rifle, a Mauser in 8 X68mm. The Mauser is a tack driver, and I haven’t noticed an increase in recoil over my .300 WSM. I no longer check any luggage, just carrying on my Red Oxx bag. With Global Express, I clear Customs at ORD in under 5 minutes.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LR3
I just moved to CO and will hunt elk here and in Wyoming and NM. Elk are fun and stand in for kudu when I am not in Africa.

I am "betwixt and between" on the caliber choice - I love the .280 Rem, 7mm Rem mag, .300 H&H, .300 WM, .375 H&H. I have a great .416 Rigby and do not need two - one thumps me enough!

.270 feels small, 6.5 Creedmore is too trendy, .338 WM is on the short list but I have not shot it much. Honestly, am thinking 9.3 x 62 but that is close to the .375 H&H.

When in doubt, I usually grab a .300 WM or HH. For USA hunting, nearly all with my .280 or 7mm. Elk with .300 or .338 even though the .280 has killed many as has the 7mm.

I am thinking "elegantly understated" for this rifle build.

I have too many girlfriends....

358 STA or 350 GandH.

If I did not want or need to throw a 275-280grain bullet at 2700 fps or more. My all round favorite has become the 7mm STW.

Posts: 10798 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the last 75 years of hunting for a living so to speak, I have changed my mind on your question probably 75 to a 100 times..There is no definitve answer to your question and your knowledge of guns and hunting needs no advise from anyone, you in fact will come to that conclusion on your own, but its good old time conversation! jumping hammering

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

If no long distance is involved, either a 270 or a 30-06.

Anything else, 375/404.

I am following the above advice for the non-dangerous game.

Building a .300 RUM.
LH CRF Deviant Hunter action with 3 pos. safety should be on the way this week.
After the 10 day waiting period it goes to SSK industries to get barreled (helical fluting on a Douglas or Krieger).
Then to Accurate Innovations for stock
Back to SSK for final check and then to me.

The only thing undecided yet is the type of stock, whether to have a laminate by AI or a Turkish stock that I can provide.

I have never understood helical fluting; fluting removes weight but preserves stiffness. Spiraled fluting is not as stiff as straight fluting.

If helical fluting was as still as straight fluting, someone would have done it with I beams. Engineering 101.