Find
Notify
Tools

Need your opinion on a rifle build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,
Assume you are building a “dream rifle”.
Intended use is all hunting excluding dangerous game e everywhere in the world.

What caliber is your “go to “ or all time favorite?

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it is easy. 338 WinMag

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H. Ammo is readily available. Same ballistics as 30-06 but hits harder. What’s not to like ?

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
30-06

I had Rigby build my dream rifle; a Highland Stalker with wood, CCH and bolt peep upgrades.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

Since you said non-dangerous I'd recommend one of the 300 magnums built with 26" barrel and in a portable weight of say 8# ready to rock with the scope.

I don't have a "go to" as there are just too many cartridges out there that will do just about anything necessary.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the .338 WinMag

If you add the .450 Rigby/Dakota you would have a two gun solution for anything on the planet.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
If dangerous game include bears, then my rifle is a 300 Win Mag..Mine is a Heym straight pull. good for everything including crocs, elk, Sable and on.

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Either 300 WM, 300 WSM, or 300PRC. Big Grin tu2

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
My go to caliber right now is a .300 Dakota it easily gets 3150 fps with a 180 gr. bullet.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
My choices ranked:

1.) 300 Win Mag
2.) 30-06
3.) .375 H&H
4.) .338 Win Mag

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The .300 magnum of your choice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Ross, I have a rifle that ticks the box for my all round weapon, less DG. It's not a custom build. It's the Boddington No. 1 in 300 H&H. Shoots better than 1 MOA, shorter with its 26" barrel than most 24" bolt rifles and lighter to boot.

I've done a sheep/goat type hunt with it hunting the southern Alps of New Zealand for Thar and Chamois making 2 one shot kills at more than 300 yards each. Taken numerous African game including leopard and all my baits, as well as a dedicated plains game hunt several years back. Elk and similar sized Red Stag, whitetail, hogs ... you get the picture.

I'm sold on the cartridge and like its nostalgia.

I really like the rifle platform but the one thing missing is the custom build, rifle of your dreams you describe. I think that could be accomplished with one of Butch Searcy's stalking rifles in the take down version. For a non DG rifle, I've never found the single shot limitation to be of concern. In fact, it may have forced me to be more careful before pulling the trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You've had some very good suggestions. I'd just remind you that when the .300 Weatherby came out, some of the top world hunters of the time used that caliber for everything including Africa. Hemingway killed a rhino with a 30-06 with a solid. That said I'd probably go with a .300 mag of some kind and if I went bigger go to a .338 RUM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Ross,

Since you said non-dangerous I'd recommend one of the 300 magnums built with 26" barrel and in a portable weight of say 8# ready to rock with the scope.

I don't have a "go to" as there are just too many cartridges out there that will do just about anything necessary.

Mark

^^^^ThiS^^^^

Unless you want to go classic. Then something like 318WR or 7x57

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy- 300 Holland & Holland!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
30-06, 23" bbl, handloads to 270 Win pressures, 3x9 lightweight scope, simple BDC, reticle 7.5 lbs scoped.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
My choices ranked:

1.) 300 Win Mag
2.) 30-06
3.) .375 H&H
4.) .338 Win Mag

Good list!

I'd pick the 300 Weatherby or 30-06.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
Ross,

Mark

^^^^ThiS^^^^

As much as I just love the 7mm RM, I have to agree.

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I go for a 300 winny 26 inch barrel and a composite pillar bedded action in a sand blasted stainless setup.
Why the winny ammo is very readily available.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A Ralf Martini .300 H&H on a Hagen action. Want to buy mine?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hunting everything, at any distance, 300 RUM.

If no long distance is involved, either a 270 or a 30-06.

Mine is a 30/404, for non dangerous game.

Anything else, 375/404.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Stainless G-Series M70 in 300 Win Mag with a synthetic stock.

Argali in Asia, Moose in Alaska, Plainsgame in Africa, elk in Montana or just deer from a blind in Texas, you're covered. Pretty good chance you can find ammo for it wherever you are as well.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice was a Simillion/Echols .300Wea M70 with a Echols Legend stock to handle the weather, hunting in places like BC..I have experienced a wood stock rifle warp out after only 5 days of hunting in non stop heavy rain in the mountains.Only occasionally do I wish it was a .340 Wea..

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the suggestions for a 300 win mag.

I couldn’t decide on a single caliber for non dangerous game, so I’m currently have a 35 Whelen built for everything over 350 lbs. and then I’m having a 280 ackley built for the smaller stuff (whitetail, mule deer, sheep, ibex, pronghorn).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way: ONLY ONE!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a functional kind of guy, more than nostalgic, a 7 WSM in something like a NULA rifle. Range, versatility, and a light package. A non wood stock just doesn't say "Dream rifle" to me, personally, though.

If its a wood and blued gun but you are more worried about killing things than a classic, a .300 RUM in a relatively lightweight format. (this was the route I went).

If you are a classics kind of guy, .300 H&H.

Posts: 10595 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
Ross,

Mark

^^^^ThiS^^^^

As much as I just love the 7mm RM, I have to agree.

One more for THIS. Choose a .300 mag you like and have some fun.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
50 Alaskan in a Turnbull leveraction.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:
Easy- 300 Holland & Holland!

Yes, I have two. A Winchester high wall and a pre-64 M70.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just buy a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in .300 WinMag for around $1100 and you’re done.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Just buy a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in .300 WinMag for around $1100 and you’re done.

The logical and unemotional decision.It's probably the best one too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Mag of some sort is my vote

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I thought the 6.5 Creedmoor was the answer to all questions. Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Non dangerous game and the world is your playground -
plains, mountains, bush and thicket, walking, stalking and high seat, driven and
stalked, small game, predators, antelope up to eland and other game bear, zebra, etc etc.

I would have to go with an OU combination gun - Merkel, Krieghoff, Sauer or similar.
Would look at 8x68S as the rifle barrel - will take everything from the mountains to the plains
and out to impressive distances if needed. And I would put a 16 bore shotgun barrel on top - shooting slugs, SSG good for hogs and pigs, with size 3 or 4 good for fox, badger, raccoon and with 5 and smaller
all your winged game is covered.

All bases covered!

My 2 cents

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that a take-down rifle on a Mauser action made by Duane Wiebe (or better rifle makerSmiler ) would offer a lot of versatility, especially for travel. A 375 H&H can do almost anything, ammunition available world-wide in numerous loadings off-the-shelf, we all know the rest of the good reasons for it. That would be my dream rifle. Heck, I made long shots (for me) on plains game in Namibia loaded with 260 grain Accubonds.

But if 375 H&H is too big, then just go for 300 H&H.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
30-06, 23" bbl, handloads to 270 Win pressures, 3x9 lightweight scope, simple BDC, reticle 7.5 lbs scoped.

you thought about it after looking in my truck didn't you...LOL.

I got to thinking about wanting the 300 WSM on the same rifle for this question.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The boring old do it all found everywhere 30-06 is hard to beat.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:

Got one! Love it!

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have asked Bailey Bradshaw to make me a rising block double in .300 H&H flanged magnum.

Just in case some dangerous game is on the menu, he's including a pair of 450/400 3-inch barrels.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote