Notify
Tools

.416 Rem Mag.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Many thanks Gentlemen and that gives me a lot of confidence.

As I have never used a .416 it is comforting to know that the Remington is a good cartridge and more than adequate.

Alternatively I could go back to the .404J if the ballistics are that similar?

I’m thinking you should go with the 416 .
Otherwise you may want your 404J ammo back !!

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

As I have never used a .416 it is comforting to know that the Remington is a good cartridge and more than adequate.

Andrew,
Nigel Theisen has carried a .416 Rem Mag daily as long as I have known him. Shoots factory Federal Premiums in it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In my view, it is an excellent caliber and far more practical than the Rigby (which I own). The rifle can be had in a lighter, trimmer action than the Rigbys. The pressure issues WERE a problem at first, but long since resolved. I'd make sure to avoid ANY 700 actions like the plague for the reasons cited by Dr. Kevin.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only challenge with the 416 Remington in Africa is IF you intend on reloading, the only available powder (SOMCHEM) which makes the Remington case pretty anemic. That's why the Rigby case is still popular there. However if you intend to only shoot factory ammo, then it's not an issue and the 416 Remington will be far cheaper to feed than either the Rigby or Jeffery... especially the Jeffery.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Andrew,
Nigel Theisen has carried a .416 Rem Mag daily as long as I have known him. Shoots factory Federal Premiums in it.

Then that is a most welcome recommendation. Thanks Lane.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
but - you'll have to shoot a buffalo and ask it if there was any difference Big Grin

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Larry is just plain a tough guy.
I have used both the Rem and Rigby. Worked great. Kicked hard. My son prefers the Rigby as he thinks the fat cartridges kill better. I tried to remind him that he bullet is the same but he did not think that was the issue???
He is a doctor....

Placebo effect... :-)

Definitely !!!

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both the rigby and the rem. They are both the same ballistically. I have never had a problem with heat with the 416 rem in a Sako and have hunted in over 100F temp most of the time. I suspect hot ammo or tight chambers causes the problems. With modern powders I think it is less of an issue. Frankly I may prefer the Rem as it is less bulky than the Rigby and more firepower too, if you need it.

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was planning my first trip in 2010 for buff and plains game, virtually everyone I surveyed who had "been there, done that" told me that while the 375 was adequate that the 416 was "more decisive". Lex Webernick of Rifles, Inc built my 416 and told me that he will not build a dangerous game rifle unless the action has a positive extractor, e.g., Winchester Model 70, thus avoiding the nightmare that Dr. Kevin described. So far I have taken 4 buff, a large zebra, elephant, and eland with the 416. Going after a hippo with it in 2018. Couldn't be more satisfied. When checking zero off the bench I always used a sissy bag until Doug at SAAM showed me how to "get in to the gun" when I took Tim Fallon's course in 2015. Off the sticks it is not bad at all. Full disclosure-it does have Lex's signature muzzle break.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had 6 416 rem mag rifles at one time .I am down to.just three now one win model 70'and two Remington 700s one stainless ks one .I use to shoot my 416 up.to.150 times a day from standing position off milk crAte with 60 pound bull bag .I.used past pads too .I practiced for charging.bears in Alaska .I.used the ,416s 12 years there they are awesome dangerous game rifles .I skipped the 375 it was too close to the 338 .It has alot of power and is flatter shooting.than you think.I shot at 200 yards all the time .I think.my.limit on recoil is the 416 .I shot 470 slapstick after shooting my 416 one day never went bigger again .It's a very versatile cartridge and will serve you well worked awesome in Alaska 12 years !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I'm betting you'll buy one after using one for a while. My go-to rifle for everything is a .416 Rem. Mag. Can't match Larry's tally by any means, but I've shot everything from dik dik and duiker to elephant with mine and it's always been up to the task if I was. It's a great buffalo cartridge, IMHO. Had a bit of an argument with a PH that thought I should shoot a leopard with my light rifle. When the cat was DRT, just like the last one, he said I can shoot my cats with my favorite rifle anytime. It's also pretty flat shooting. I sight in dead on at 100 with 400 grain bullets and I'm 8" low at 200 and 24" low at 300.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
See lesson #3

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I had 6 416 rem mag rifles at one time .I am down to.just three now one win model 70'and two Remington 700s one stainless ks one .I use to shoot my 416 up.to.150 times a day from standing position off milk crAte with 60 pound bull bag .I.used past pads too .I practiced for charging.bears in Alaska .I.used the ,416s 12 years there they are awesome dangerous game rifles .I skipped the 375 it was too close to the 338 .It has alot of power and is flatter shooting.than you think.I shot at 200 yards all the time .I think.my.limit on recoil is the 416 .I shot 470 slapstick after shooting my 416 one day never went bigger again .It's a very versatile cartridge and will serve you well worked awesome in Alaska 12 years !

Bet you never told your wife that you had six .416s?

Thanks for your advise.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Andrew,

I'm betting you'll buy one after using one for a while. My go-to rifle for everything is a .416 Rem. Mag. Can't match Larry's tally by any means, but I've shot everything from dik dik and duiker to elephant with mine and it's always been up to the task if I was. It's a great buffalo cartridge, IMHO. Had a bit of an argument with a PH that thought I should shoot a leopard with my light rifle. When the cat was DRT, just like the last one, he said I can shoot my cats with my favorite rifle anytime. It's also pretty flat shooting. I sight in dead on at 100 with 400 grain bullets and I'm 8" low at 200 and 24" low at 300.

What scope to you have on that?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Andrew,

I have shot everything from grysbok to elephant with mine. In the USA, I shot a bison at over 400 yards, 1 shot, down right there.

Penetration is VERY good. On my last lion, probably my last ever, he was quartering away from me. I shot him through the last rib, it wrecked every vital organ and exited the shoulder on the far side after breaking it. Hard to argue with that.

For me, perhaps the best is that I can shoot this gun better than I can a lighter caliber rifle. It fits me better I think.

I have a 1.7 x 10 Swarovski on mine.

I have gotten the occasional surprise. We just received the DVD from our July safari and watched it last night. I shot a zebra absolutely perfectly through the shoulder, actually both shoulders. I knew I hit him or at least I thought I did at the shot. I saw no blood. I was thinking WTF? Well about 50 yards later, we needed life jackets to follow there was so much blood all of a sudden. In another 30 yards, he was dead, shot squarely through both shoulders. Why no blood? Who knows. Just one of those weird things that happen from time to time.

I can't imagine you would be unhappy with one. My advice would be to keep the rifle clean and more importantly, run every round through the gun before you use them. That should help avoid surprises at inopportune times.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 416 Rifles Inc has gotten a lot of use!

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Andrew,

I have shot everything from grysbok to elephant with mine. In the USA, I shot a bison at over 400 yards, 1 shot, down right there.

Penetration is VERY good. On my last lion, probably my last ever, he was quartering away from me. I shot him through the last rib, it wrecked every vital organ and exited the shoulder on the far side after breaking it. Hard to argue with that.

For me, perhaps the best is that I can shoot this gun better than I can a lighter caliber rifle. It fits me better I think.

I have a 1.7 x 10 Swarovski on mine.

I have gotten the occasional surprise. We just received the DVD from our July safari and watched it last night. I shot a zebra absolutely perfectly through the shoulder, actually both shoulders. I knew I hit him or at least I thought I did at the shot. I saw no blood. I was thinking WTF? Well about 50 yards later, we needed life jackets to follow there was so much blood all of a sudden. In another 30 yards, he was dead, shot squarely through both shoulders. Why no blood? Who knows. Just one of those weird things that happen from time to time.

I can't imagine you would be unhappy with one. My advice would be to keep the rifle clean and more importantly, run every round through the gun before you use them. That should help avoid surprises at inopportune times.

Never realised the Rem Mag was so popular! And thanks for the advise.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 1.7-10 Swarovski on mine. I love it because at 1.7 power you can still see the end of the barrel in case something is coming at you.

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100% agree.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another pearl of wisdom I learned on this site from more than one person shortly after I joined: "Buy a Swarovski, cry when you pay for it, then smile and enjoy it for the rest of your life".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I have a 1-6 Z6 Swaro, with an illuminated reticle, Leupold detachable mounts, on it. Love it. True one power and turn on the lights and you have a red-dot. Faster than irons for my old eyes. Crank it up to 6 and it comes in handy in a leopard blind too.

Usually tuck in a spare on Leupold rings, a 1.5-5 Leupold. Never had to go to it, but nice to have a spare that's zeroed and you can just stick on if something went wrong.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never realised the Rem Mag was so popular! And thanks for the advise.

Hell Andrew, you can even have a Blaser R8 in 416 Rem caliber.
As you have probably heard before, there is no straighter shooting rifle than a Blaser.

Have a chat with Biebs. Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to Mike's #3 comment, I agree. No reason any of the .416's or .404's wouldn't do as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever suffer from "going to run out of ammo or loading components paranoia "

It's actually a real problem and one suffered by many who remembered the 70's in Africa

Harold Wilson's labour in GB stuck it to shooters when their policies caused the demise of the likes of Kynoch and combined with the hurt of UN sanctions the paranoia became a reality ! Literally up the creek with no paddle
416 Rigby's and 404's and no ammo !

So when Remington released the Remmie in 89 we saw it literally as the knight on the white Horse and to boot we could in a pinch convert 375 H&H cases to feed it !

So huge was the impact of its release many viewed it as the catalyst for the demise of the 375 H&H Confused

Anyway the rest is history. We hoarded and scrounged ammo, at one point I had A-square ammo in those 5 per wallet packaging scrounged from a visitor hunter stashed away only to find with time that all the necks cracked and the bullets extruded.

The Remington released a batch of factories loaded with nickel plated cases loaded with Swift A- frames. They were way overloaded and caused stuck cases and blown primers.

I had one built on a ZKK 602 , still have it great little gun and very capable !

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Ever suffer from "going to run out of ammo or loading components paranoia "

It's actually a real problem and one suffered by many who remembered the 70's in Africa

Harold Wilson's labour in GB stuck it to shooters when their policies caused the demise of the likes of Kynoch and combined with the hurt of UN sanctions the paranoia became a reality ! Literally up the creek with no paddle
416 Rigby's and 404's and no ammo !

So when Remington released the Remmie in 89 we saw it literally as the knight on the white Horse and to boot we could in a pinch convert 375 H&H cases to feed it !

So huge was the impact of its release many viewed it as the catalyst for the demise of the 375 H&H Confused

Anyway the rest is history. We hoarded and scrounged ammo, at one point I had A-square ammo in those 5 per wallet packaging scrounged from a visitor hunter stashed away only to find with time that all the necks cracked and the bullets extruded.

The Remington released a batch of factories loaded with nickel plated cases loaded with Swift A- frames. They were way overloaded and caused stuck cases and blown primers.

I had one built on a ZKK 602 , still have it great little gun and very capable !

ALF,

Our American friends do not much about hoarding and improvising!

Last week we got some Naval flares that had expired in 1980!!

It seems such a shame to just destroy them.

So we took them apart, and reclaimed the powder from them.

It looked great, and smelled normal.

We got several kilos of it, and I have already developed loads with it for 38 Special, 357 Magnum and 44 Magnum clap

The kids can have a lot more pistol shooting now!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Saeed flashbang special tu2
The ad goes at least if you cant hit it you will dazzle it into submission ! Just be careful of not putting everything on fire when you drop the hammer on one of those " specials" rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
The only challenge with the 416 Remington in Africa is IF you intend on reloading, the only available powder (SOMCHEM) which makes the Remington case pretty anemic. That's why the Rigby case is still popular there. However if you intend to only shoot factory ammo, then it's not an issue and the 416 Remington will be far cheaper to feed than either the Rigby or Jeffery... especially the Jeffery.

79gr Somchem S355 under a 400gr projectile (Nosler, Barnes, Hornady and Dzombo) with a CCI250 delivering 2290fps with most 400gr projectiles has served me well (read flawless) for 700 shots, including a gun battle in 50 degrees Celcius with a difficult buffalo. There is better propellants but it does work.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote